“Great Hotel”

Leonardo Beach Tel Aviv Hotel
Ranked #64 of 102 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights with teenage boys. The staff was very helpful with all our needs. We really enjoyed the breakfast - lots of choices for everyone. Loved the omelette bar and waffles. This is in a great location next to the beach. Very clean and spacious rooms. Loved the free wifi in the lobby. Thanks for a great stayl

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Brad336

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Yesterday afternoon, after a long walk in Tel- Aviv, my boyfriend and I have decided to book a night at a nice hotel along the shore. We have searched online and came across the Leonardo Basel Hotel. The prices, accommodation and location were very tempting, so we have decided to go for it! Turned out our decision was worthwhile. At the end of the day 4-5 star hotels are all the same, however at Leonardo's the hospitality and staff (especially front desk receptionist Miss Elene) made our stay not only amazing but perfect.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a sea view, they are the best.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NatalieE2
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights this month. Centrally located hotel across from the beach with good facilities. What made my stay at this hotel fantastic was the professionalism and eagerness to help of the front desk staff, particularly Leela.

Room Tip: Ask for Leela.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank MICHAEL M
Reviewed July 21, 2012

My wife and I had an enjoyable 5 day stay at the Leonardo Basel. The staff were incredibly friendly, Michael in particular and everyone was keen to assist me. The room was OK. The bathroom was a little small, but adequate, and the Wi-Fi was good standard. Recommended.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed in this IDEALLY located hotel for a week June 2012.
Lovely lobby and pool area. Friendly staff. Great view from my Comfort sea view room. Adequate and varied breakfast, although the dining room is in the basement with no windows.
Wi-Fi in public areas and sometimes picked up in my room although intermittent.
Its obviously been renovated some time ago - you can see old wardroabes repainted etc.

the two points I need to highlight are important:

I booked the comfort sea view room for a few extra dollars and am so grateful I did because at first I was asigned the wrong room and I must say it was TINY!!

The comfort sea view room by contrast was sufficiently spacious, it was spotless and had a very comfortable bed, lovely flat screen TV, an easy chair and a dressing table/desk. THE NEGATIVE WAS A TERRIBLE MUSTY almost SWEATY SMELLING ODOUR IN THE otherwise SPOTLESS BATHROOM it was possibly from years of inadequate ventillation in the bathroom. no visible mould dirt or anything but the smell was horrendous and it had been "MASKED" by a terrbile airfreshner not unalike an anti tobacco spray, in fact the entire hotel had this smell of anti tobacco or air freshner smell which is so off putting as its overwhelming on the senses when you enter the lobby too. . I had mentioned the bathroom odour to the management but uncertain if addressed or if they simply sprayed more airfreshener.
I had to prevent myself from gagging everytime I went to the bathroom. A Terrible thing to blot an otherwise very pleasant hotel.
Also the pool closes at 6pm and yet the sun shines till 8pm in summer and yet you are not allowed access to the pool after 6pm. You come home from a shopping trip hot And dying for a bit of sun and a spalsh in the pool but are prevented from doing thisl

Room Tip: Comfort sea view room, otherwise the regular rooms are too small Ensure you get a good smelling b...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank FreeflowFi
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I stayed four nights at the Leonardo Basel, and I booked it through Hotels.com. When the taxi dropped us out side the hotel, it didn't look very nice, like a 70s building with small windows. the impression once inside was totally different. Our room (512) had a comfortable queen-sized bed and wooden floors. The window is a bit small and faces a parking lot, but you can see the sea from it. The air conditioned worked well (maybe too well, you soon notice than in Israel they love their rooms freezing cold), and a flatscreen TV with the usual western channels.
The bathroom is a bit on the small side, but overall the room was comfortable and relatively quiet (not facing the road in front of the hotel is a plus)
The location is good for the beach (you just need to cross the street and go down some stairs), a taxi to Old Jaffa will cost you around 30 Shekels.

The middle-Eastern style breakfast was really good, with many types of bread as pastries, at least 5 types of cheese, fresh fruit and a delicious omelette made on the spot by the cook.

I was especially impressed by the front office staff, all of them very polite and helpful, especially the young man working on the night shift that arranged a breakfast box for me in about 2 minutes at 7 AM (we were leaving on a tour and I forgot to arrange it the day before). A service worth of a five-star hotel.

All in all, very good experience at a reasonable price, even in high season.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank rro2005MAD
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I chose the hotel for its location, price with one breakfast, and airport shuttle. The location was wonderful, and the desk staff worked to be very helpful. However, the room was not ready when I checked in (about 6:00 pm). Rather, they gave me a free beverage in the bar, and the room was ready after I had finished drinking the beverage. More significantly, the price I had requested included 1 breakfast, but the breakfast was NOT included in my costs --- I had to pay extra for breakfast. Most seriously, the hotel does not run a hotel shuttle; instead they call a taxi --- which any hotel could do. The taxi ride was ILS 160 rather than the ILS 150 quoted in the online literature (I think the extra ILS 10 was a tip the taxi driver gave to the desk clerk for calling this taxi company), but I am not sure.

Overall, the hotel is a fine place to relax, being just across from the beach, the rooms were clean, service was good. The bathroom was tiny (I had to twist around the sink to get to the toilet), but the room was quite functional, and the view was fantastic. However, the description/hotel information on Trip Advisor was misleading.

Room Tip: Choose the hotel for its proximity to the beach and fine view. Be somewhat skeptical about whether...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded July 15, 2012

Dear Henry,
Thank you for your review; guests' comments are an important tool that enables us to understand our guests' needs. I assume that your arrival was on Saturday, otherwise there is no chance that you would not get your room on time. Saturdays are a bit of a problem due to late check-outs of the Israeli guests, and we are glad that our reception staff were able to offer you something to drink while you waited. We are not sure where it was that you read our hotel offers an airport shuttle; we never published anything like that, and unfortunately, in Tel Aviv there is no shuttle service at all to the airport. The cost of a taxi to the airport during the daytime is 160nis, and at night it is 170nis. It used to be 150 nis, and 160nis during the night, but the prices went up in the past few months. Under no circumstances do we get money directly from the taxis for calling them! We are glad that you had a nice stay with us.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us; we would love to see you again amongst our guests in the future.
Regards, Eitan Ohana