“Great central hotel on the beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Carlton Tel Aviv

Carlton Tel Aviv
Ranked #29 of 98 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Irvine ca
“Great central hotel on the beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed at the Carlton twice during our visit to Israel. It is beautifully appointed and excellently located. It is on the beach but walking distance to restaurants, shops and tourist sights. The staff was excellent. We stayed on the club floor which was worth the money because they put out so much food that after a long day we often had dinner there.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room with an ocean view. There are other hotels on this strip but many have construc...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Jeremy S, Public Relations Manager at Carlton Tel Aviv, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Erica G,
Thank you for your review and we were very pleased to hear that you enjoyed both of your stays with us. We hope that on your next visit to Israel you will give us the opportunity of hosting you once again at the Carlton Tel Aviv.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

My wife and I and two infants live nearby but wanted a little vacation. We had a most wonderful Shabbat at the hotel. Every person we had dealings with was kind, considerate and professional, from front desk to housekeeping, from valet parking to the restaurant -- every detail of our stay was definitely 5 star plus! I commend the staff for a job well done, and would recommend this hotel above all others -- in fact, my parents will be spending a week soon, and not the first time they have done so. Easily comparable to the King David and the Citadel in Jerusalem, at far better prices, and with the sea only steps away, why go anywhere else -- the best place in Tel Aviv!

Room Tip: Be sure to request a sea view, and a full sea view if available, as this hotel is right on the water...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Moshe R
Dear Moshe R,
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you and your family to the hotel once again in the near future.
San Jose
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

I tried to book my entire stay at Intercontinental but the first night was sold out and finally found something nearby which was Carlton hotel. I’ve stayed at another Carlton hotel years ago so I decided to give it a try.

Hotel: It is an old hotel with remodeled rooms. If I have to stay there for several days, I probably would find something else but after 20 hour flight, I was not going to complain. Obviously, this hotel is tailored for tourists booked under a packaged tour which is how hotels in Israel fills their rooms.

Room: It was okay for one night stay. Nothing to rave about but carpet was somewhat dirty with many stains. Of course, the view wasn’t there and I didn’t expect any either. My room actually faced some apartment building across the street and it was downright ugly. The city landscape isn’t the best anyway but hotel calls this room "Superior City View with Balcony". Well, it did have a balcony but to do what? Enjoy the view? I don't think so.

Bathroom: This was the surprising part. Bathroom was very clean, modern, and good sized but tub with half glass partition was there. Nevertheless, it was one of the best bathroom I’ve seen at hotels in Israel.

Parking: Parking is very small and no real entrance to enter and park your vehicle. I gave my key to the valet and they parked it on the street which I found next morning. There is $12 UDS for this service. Be sure to check the price as they tried to overcharge me for three times the price. I only had a parking fee to my hotel bill as the room was prepaid so I caught it. How do a hotel staff miss one line item which is parking for a day?

That is about it as I did not utilized any other services from the hotel such as pool, room service, or concierge. When I checked in, the front desk did gave me a glass of iced tea which was a nice touch and they have apples throughout the hotel. I would not stay this hotel for extended period but considering the price I paid in Tel Aviv hotel, it seems okay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jediplay
Dear jediplay,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Carlton Tel Aviv. We apologise for the error regarding the parking charge and have passed your comments regarding the room to the relevant department. We hope that you will return to the hotel on your next visit to Tel Aviv and enjoy your stay with us.
La Jolla, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was my second stay at the Carlton Tel Aviv, both because of the group I was traveling with. The best thing about this hotel is the proximity to the Gordon pool, a fabulous salt water treasure owned by the city that is steps from the hotel. It's difficult to decide where to start on the critique, as they seem to have put money into useless, superficial things like fancy shallow sinks while the shower plumbing is old and cranky. They do not even provide free Internet in the lobby and charge $5US/hour or $10US/day but the system frequently malfunctions and cheats on time, necessitating complaints to the front desk and then connection to the IT support. The staff try hard, but you can't make a sow's ear into a silk purse. The breakfast buffet is much lass opulent than other Israeli hotels; it's adequate. On the plus side, it's now located directly over the marina, which is nice because it's possible to eat outside. The hotel is situated on the sea, but if you are unfortunate enough to be on the "city" side, prepare for noise. There is a very busy road with loud traffic all the time. In order to be able to sleep, I had to ask to be moved up a couple of floors, and then it was bearable IF I slept with earplugs and the fan on high. I would imaging that the experience of the seaside rooms would be significantly better, but it's also quite a bit more costly. The rooms and furnishings are shabby and in need of a makeover. Additionally, although I was told that it's a safe neighborhood, in order to get to a main street one must traverse a dark and convoluted set of stairs or underpasses. There's a strip bar en route, which is also disconcerting, as flyers from this place blanket the stairs. Again, I would never stay here had I not been with a group. I gather that they must have excellent group rates and provide Kosher food - otherwise, there would be little to recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you must stay on the street side (away from the sea), do not stay below the 10th floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Lisa B
Dear Lisa B,
We were disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us at the Carlton Tel Aviv since we strive for complete customer satisfaction from all of our guests. Your comments regarding the internet have been noted and forwarded to our management team, but as mentioned in other reviews our charges are considerably lower than those in other surrounding hotels. The group organisers booked Superior rooms for your group, and these rooms do indeed face the city of Tel Aviv. A vast majority of rooms in the hotel (all rooms in higher categories than Superior) do offer partial or full sea views. Since your group’s visit the hotel has completed a major renovation programme and all rooms now offer upgraded amenities and furnishings. We were extremely surprised that you found our breakfast buffet to be below par since the feedback of most of our guests indicate that they find it to be the best breakfast of the hotels in Israel.
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel twice during a recent visit to Israel. When checking out each time, two days apart, we found errors on our bill. Error 1: we ate in the restaurant with a friend and asked the bill to be split and put 1/2 on each room. Upon checkout, we discovered an unusually high charge and upon inspection realized the charge was in full on each room's bill. We also had a room charge on our bill that was paid in full prior to our checking in. The next mistake was a bar tip in dollars that should have been in shekels. Suddenly the tip was more than the beer.

Regarding the hotel, our first room was large with a city view. NOT a great view. The room was fine but our second room had been totally renovated and was much nicer. You can see two examples of these rooms in the photos of other travelers. The renovated rooms have wood behind the beds and the older rooms have white walls. The renovated room was smaller but the finishes were very nice. You might ask for a renovated room if possible.

Breakfast was fantastic. The breakfast on Shabbat was not as good as the other days but totally adequate and the outdoor waterfront dining totally compensated for the drop in food selection.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SavannahGal
Dear SavannahGal,
Thank you for your review and please accept our apologies for the errors on your room bill, Since your stay we have completed our renovations, and all guest rooms now benefit from the upgraded facilities. It is important to note that our hotel offers 75% of rooms with sea views, but that the 25% in the Superior room category do have city views. We are delighted that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet. Kosher dietary laws do dictate that some dishes cannot be served on Shabbat, but we do provide a large selection of dishes despite the restrictions. We hope that you will return to the Carlton Tel Aviv on your next visit to Israel.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

Just an average place. Internet is $10 per 24 hours. The rugs on the floor in our room and in a friends room were both filthy. Not stained, just dirty - you could feel it if you walked bare-footed. It was noisy in the morning at times because of renovations. Forget about sleeping late.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MADber
Dear Madweber,
We were sorry to learn of your disappointment during your stay with us and have passed your comments to our management team. Since your visit we have completed our renovation programme and we hope that you will return to enjoy our renewed facilities in the future.
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed here for two nights. We were traveling with friends. A manager took us to our rooms wich were just lovely. He did our check in at our rooms. They have a lounge for all the rooms in the Royal class. This lounge was really nice. It was a welcome delight to use after a day of travel They have all kinds of finger foods and drinks of all kinds. The service from all the staff was great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travelers7870
Dear Travelers7870,
Thank you for your review and we are delighted that you and your friends enjoyed your stay at the hotel. We hope that you will give us the opportunity of hosting you once again at the Carlton Tel Aviv.