“great location, very nice hotel”

Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel
Ranked #60 of 101 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Reviewed September 15, 2010

we went w/ teenagers and 6 yr old son. the location was great because there is a door leading right outside to the beach...no street to cross. they gave towels for the beach. very nice indoor pool/jacuzzi. the water was perfect. other times we've stayed in tel aviv & outdoor pools were very cold. exercise room/sauna were high standard. rooms were nice with small balcony overlooking beach. food was good...not great but nice variety. my kids complained that there was no soda or juice with dinner...you had to buy it separately. we requested a fridge in the room and there was no charge added. i only wish there had been a kids' play area with ping pong/pool, and activities for little kids. all in all, i would definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank elyodaeiam

Reviewed August 12, 2010

I have visited some hotels in Tel Aviv, Tiberias and the Dead Sea. What all the hotels have in common is "dark corners". I mean those uncarred parts of the hotel that your eyes see them, but you should ignore them, according to the hotel staff. Let me say that after 4 stays at Renaissanse Tel Aviv, I failed to find such "dark corners"
One of the most important aspects of a high end hotel is the quality of the carpets on the hallways. They are very expensive to maintain and change. In Renaissance they are fluffy and spotless.
Another big "dark corner" is the loby. You will always see torn couches or scratched tables, dirt etc. In Renaissance absolutely perfect - I mean, I looked and never found anything wrong in the loby.
Of course the overall maintainance of the hotel is superb.
The rooms are well maintained, and, again, no "dark corners"
The recent renovation of the spa area, including pool, sauna, fitness room and jacuzzi is absolutely luxurious.
All the other usual qualities of a 5 star hotel are to be found also, but I wanted to stress in my review what impressed me the most, and I shall repeat it again NO DARK CORNERS hence NO UGLY SURPRISES.
Regarding the staff - they are great, but this can be subjective according to your private experience. The Renaissance's lack of "dark corners", so popular in many hotels, assures a relaxed stay and will cause you to want to return again and again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank HarryIsrael
Reviewed August 5, 2010

This hotel is located on Tel-Aviv sea-front and has a direct access to the beach. Hotel lobby and bar lounge are elegant, but all other parts of this hotel including rooms and swimming are really worn and should really be upgraded. Rooms have a nice view and are pretty spacious, but have probably not been refursbished since '80s. I had access to business lounge which serves very good srinks, appetizers and light meals; and breakfast is also very with plenty of local fruits. So the hotel itself is not so bad but is really not up to the standards you expect from a Renaissance hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2010

The Renaissance is very conveniently located near where many hotels are in Tel Aviv along the beach, with direct access. I should note I paid for my 2 night stay with Marriott points.

The property was filled with American tourists, and seems a popular destination for Americans.

The staff at the property front desk (while fairly slow) are very friendly and eager to help - check in can take an awfully long time (not that unusual in Israel). The property itself is clean but very dated - it certainly could use an update to bring it out of the early 1990's, but it was what I was expecting.

Arrived to find on day 2 that breakfast was not included in my free room rate- I found this somewhat disconcerting, given I had stayed 2 nights up the street at the Hilton and paid with points, and got breakfast for two for free. The only thing I could determine was that my status with Hilton is Diamond, while I only have silver with Marriott.

The restaurant in the hotel is extermely overpriced and not very good - you can find better options along the beach where the food is very good and inexpensive.

Basically, nothing really stands out as remarkable about this property other than the convenient location. I would recommend the Hilton instead.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2010

We stayed here two nights in June, and were very happy. The service was the best of any hotel I have been to in Israel. When we arrived management provided us with a nice fruit basket. We had been on planes and in airports for almost twenty four hours, and took showers upon arrival. We called down to the front desk for fresh towels, which arrived in minutes. After getting dressed we went out for a stroll along the beach (kind of dirty - Tel Aviv should be ashamed) and then dinner in town. We were surprised to find that housekeeping had been in and refreshed our room, leaving another set of towels, soaps and other amenities, along with the traditional chocolates and turn down.

Breakfast was exceptionally good. The pancakes were a real surprise, and very tasty. There was an impressive variety of cheeses, breads, pastries and salads, as well as a made to order egg station.

The front desk crew was very helpful.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2010

Stayed here 9 nights. Of all the hotels in Tel Aviv, this is one of the few that is actually located on the beach, while most are across a busy street with cross walks that no one stops for. The hotel is old, but nicely air conditioned. The upstairs executive lounge has light appetizers, and not much of a selection, and children under 18 are not allowed. Compared to the Sheraton next door, this lounge was really poor! Rooms were very small and tight for a Marriott. Yes, every room has a view. Breakfast was fine, with a large selection and omellete station. Pancakes were impressive for this part of the world, as most pancakes outside the US are pathetic. Staff were very friendly, greeting me everyday coming in and going out. Generally speaking, no one ques for anything in Israel, including the front desk. Yet the receptionists working there are helpful, they just try and help everyone who mobs the front desk at the same time.

The beach, while usually with lots of people, was incredibly rife with small pieces of trash (including cigarrette buds). Yes, trash (ie cups and plastic bags) in the ocean too. I don't think they clean that beach (with sand sifters or paid employees) all that often. Still, the ocean had fish and jelly fish too (but there was a warning out for lightly stinging jelly fish). So not too dirty for the animal life, I imagine?

We took tours right from the hotel, but independently owned and operated tours. Prices for an all day tour run about $80-90 per person. Business class were better, since the number of tourists were smaller. We found a personal guide for Jerusalem who was fantastic, but couldn't provide transportation. Our gain, since it was much cheaper to rent a car and deal with the traffic and have a personal guide, vice the tour company!

The indoor pool is small. There is a 50 meter salt water outdoor pool almost right next to the hotel (3 min walk), which charges about $15 per person to enter. The gym is fine, with a couple of electric bikes and illypticals, and a stationary weights with bench press. The massuse is right in the gym.

We stayed there because of the Marriott brand, and it was alright--nothing spectacular and a little on lighter side of what you would expect at a Marriott. I would stay there again, but know there are some much nicer properties out there.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 27, 2010

We stayed here 4 nights (5 days) in June. We selected it because it's a Marriot and we were able to get a couple nights free. It's pricey - $240 which doesn't include breakfast - but right on the beach and in the best location on the promenade for beach restaurants, walking, swimming and people-watching. Every room has a view of the Mediterannean - ours also faced the old city of Jaffa - and have small balconies with two chairs. We sat out every day and evening drinking tea, reading, watching people. Our rooms was very comfortable with all the amenities although small - it was like a vernada cabin on a ship. This is a big hotel, near the Hilton and Sheraton, with lots of comfortable seating in the main floor lounge, looking out over the beach (Tel Aviv has the most beautiful and clean sand beaches I've ever seen on the Mediterannean), has great work-out and steam rooms and is within easy walking distance of Gizendoff St., Ben Yehuda and other shopping areas. The downsides: indoor pool, which I hate and had way too much cholorine, and very pricey food and drinks. We ate out. There's not that much to do in Tel Aviv - the beach is the main attraction and it was great for winding down after two weeks of siteseeing in Jordan and Israel. A must do: rent bicycles for $15 fro all day and ride the entire length of the promenade (about 3 miles) and go all the way around Jaffa - you'll be rewarded by miles of beaufitul, quiet bike paths winding through beautiful parks and empty Mediterannean beaches.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple