“Worst Hotel Service Ever - Stay Away”

Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel
Ranked #53 of 98 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Madison, Wisconsin
“Worst Hotel Service Ever - Stay Away”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2010

I recently stayed at the Marriott - Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel and had an awful experience. If it didn't say Marriott inside the hotel I would've assumed I arrived at Motel 6. I frequently stay at Marriott in the US so when I traveled I though I could trust Marriott International to offer me a good stay. Was I wrong. After that experience I will never stay at a Marriott again. I made my reservation online with Orbitz and when I arrived at the hotel the rude person behind the desk (named Sivan) said she couldn't find my reservation. IT TOOK HER 25 MINUTES TO LOCATE IT! the whole time she was giving me attitude like I was responsible for he incompetence. In the middle of the booking process she turned to her colleagues and said in Hebrew: "This guy is really annoying me". How is this acceptable, what kind of customer service is this. Just because I live in the US doesn't mean I'm not fluent in other languages, I understood every word. Is Marriott even supervising the people that work there? what kind of hotel is it where you pay $500 for two nights and you're the one "annoying" the desk person. The room we got (for two people - not a couple) was small and we got two children sized bed.As if that wasn't enough things just got worse. In order to get beach towels each guest gets a a towel card which you give the attendant to get a beach towel and upon it's return you get the card back. You must check out with this card or you will get charged. Next day we went to the beach and got towels. When we returned the beach towel desk was already closed, so we thought "ok we'll return it tomorrow". We left the towels in our room and went to eat dinner. When we returned there was a breakfast menu for the morning on our beds and the 2 towels were gone!!! not our room towels (which you can tell the difference) the beach towels! We go down to the front desk - furious! the guy says he'll send 2 beach towels up so we dont get charged. 30 minutes later a cleaning guy shows up with REGULAR towels not beach towels!!!!
Things just kept getting worse and worse. In the morning of the checkout I go to check out and instead of just checking out (cause my reservation was paid in full to Orbitz) Yaron at the front desk claims that "Orbitz didn't send them payment yet and he's going to charge my credit card" As if that's my problem!
Worst hotel experience ever!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank joshuab123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2010

We stayed over Passover and were impressed by the terrific locaton - right on the beach. The staff tried hard but could do with much better training and management, unusual for a Marriott. We were told on several occasions on Shabbat and over the holiday that "black coffee" wasn't available, though Nescafe was. On pressing further, we found that filter coffee was on tap; "ice coffee" (on the menu) was not available on shabbat, thgugh "ice coffee with ice cream" was; we asked for it, "without the icecream" and it miraculously appeared. The breakfasts are magnificent with as much choice as you can find anywhere in Israel. However, when we asked if there was any cottage cheese (which was usually on the buffet) we wre met by a curt and brusque "No!" However, the room - facing Jaffa - was fine, very clean and well fitted and the bed was very comfortable, with six pillows between the two of us. Maid service was, however, erratic; on one morning the room was made up by 8.30; the next day, it wasn't made up by 15.30, to my discomfort, as I wanted to show the room to my sister-in-law, who lives in Israel, The sun terrace overlooking the beach makes a great place to read in comfot and shade, with a limited menu available througout the day. All in all, we had an enjoyable stay and would stay again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2010

As others have said, the decor is dated and rooms are quite small. Though the bed was very comfortable and the view was great.
Most staff need lessons on how to smile. The staff at reception were often rude and inconvenienced by any questions asked.
Breakfast buffet was large, though doesn't really cater for western travellers. Salad for breakfast just doesn't appeal, especially after 11 days.
Wireless internet very pricey.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Mountains of Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2010

My quick trip to Israel, a short while ago, was made so much better by my being able to stay at the Renaissance Hotel in Tel Aviv. It was easy to get to from the airport. It was right on the beach along the shoreline of the Mediterranean. Meeting rooms in the hotel were very good & in hotel meals/dining facilities were excellent ... plus we always seemed to have a great view looking out over the Med! The pool was great! the beach was great! and it was so easy to walk to shopping areas. When I return to Israel, I will stay at the Renaissance again - no questions asked; it was superb!!

• Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2010

Had a wonderful stay at the Renaissance Tel Aviv.

The hotel has perhaps the best location in Tel Aviv - you step out from the back door and you are on the beach! And Dizengoff Street is about 10 minutes walk away.

We had a nice sized room on the 6th Floor - facing south. All rooms have a view of the beach but I'd recommend a south facing room so you can see Jaffa in the distance. We could also see the sun set which was great.

The room was fairly quiet but occasionally we heard the TV from the adjoining room.
You can't turn the handle on the outside of the room door unless you've inserted then removed the card key. People aren't aware of this so many people when going out from their rooms pull the door closed which makes a banging noise. Not a problem during the day but maybe at night time if you want to go to sleep early.

Breakfast was included (100 NShekels per person otherwise!) and was a typical extensive israeli buffet with plenty to eat. We liked to sit by the window and watch the activities on the beach while having breakfast.

The room was clean and the maid came by in the evening to check if we needed extra towels.

There was a flatscreen TV in the room with Sky News to keep us up to date on news from the UK.

The staff at the reception, restaurant and fitness centre were all very friendly and helpful.

The swimming pool and fitness centre had just reopened after being rennovated. The pool was fairly spaceous, and from the pool you can look out onto the promenade and beach. For more serious swimming there is an outdoor swimming area a short walk from the hotel.

They charge 20US$ a day for Wi-Fi at the hotel but there is free wifi at many Tel Aviv cafes eg Dizi Cafe at Dizengoff Square

One thing we felt was missing (but this may apply to other israeli hotels) is that there were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2010

First of all the location is superb right on the beach and breakfasts are a really great Israeli breakfast buffet.

Decor is somewhat dated but comfortable - although this seems to be the norm for many of the beach hotels except the David Intercontinental

Staff are helpful and pleasant

Pool is nothing special but you can swim in the sea right outside the hotel

I would stay here again (have stayed here twice already on two separate trips)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for one night - our arrival night into Israel (flying from USA). It was absolutely wonderful! The location can't be beat (right on the Mediterranean) and it has a great beach. You can easily walk along the beach on a paved sidewalk - lots of folks were jogging in the evening hours. We especially enjoyed the buffet dinner and breakfast we had there - the best we had in Israel.

For workout fanatics, there is an outdoor mini-gym right on the beach!

The rooms were well-appointed, clean, and modern. The beds were quite comfortable. We didn't hear any noise from adjoining rooms. We had a lovely balcony view of the harbor. Check in/out was flawless.

We'd gladly stay there again!

• Stayed February 2010