“One of few good hotel in Tel Aviv”

Ranked #58 of 100 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Most people who are familiar with Marriot brand Renaissance hotel will agree that one in Tel Aviv does not meet its usual standard. Well, yes and no if you ask me. This was my 5th visit to Israel and I have tried many popular hotels ranging from $250 - $400 per night because many of them didn’t meet my expectations. Let’s face it. For what they have to offer, it sure is expensive in Tel Aviv and most hotels are not modern in Israel so leave that expectation at home and you’ll do just fine. I for one, have completely lowered my expectations and afterwards, I actually felt right at home. If this Renaissance was in Hong Kong or Singapore, I would not recommend it. However, considering where it is, I do recommend this hotel.

Location: This hotel is near beach and view/access to the beach is convenient. However, due to the location, it is not so easy to access this hotel if you drive or need to park your vehicle. Location is somewhat bizarre as you have go through the underground building and go up a ramp and through another hotel lobby to get to this hotel if you are driving a rental car.

Check-in: Hotel staff was courteous and friendly. This may be due to I am platinum member but overall, the hotel staff seem eager to help guests based on what I saw. My room had fruit basket arrival gift waiting when I got in which was a nice touch for a frequent guest.

Room: Room has been renovated but hotel property is old and it is difficult to hide that fact. My room did not have thermostat for some reason and it only had three antique looking manual switches to turn the heater on and adjust the fan speed setting. There is a LCD TV on the wall which had a digital clock included but it wasn’t legible so if you need to wake up, I would set an alarm on your phone or morning call from the hotel. Work desk was adequate and chair was fairly comfortable. However, internet is slow which seems to be connecting at maximum of 54mbps and don’t even think about streaming anything. Don’t forget to bring a power adapter as no universal power outlet available. If you do forget, you can borrow one but leave 20 NIS deposit at the lobby desk.

Bathroom: All bathroom in Israel is about the same. The shower tub is small and it has swing out glass partition but due to this the shower nozzle height is about 5 feet high and I have to bend down to wash my hair. Why this way is beyond me but most of them are the same. Toiletries are okay but considering Dead sea minerals are plentiful, this Renaissance did not splurge on the toiletries. I tried it once and ended up using toiletries from another hotel I brought with me just in case. Toilet is old and did not flush well which may require upgrade soon.

Lounge: 16th floor has executive lounge and if you have an access to it, you might try it. Hors d’oeuvre is available from 6-8 PM along with beer and wine. Liquor is available for purchase but it is expensive. Lounge is not comfortable but it does its job. Wi-Fi is not free or open and you must have code to access it which is available from front desk during check in.

Restaurant: I only had a breakfast at the main level and most food are very good. Buffet selection is limited due to it is Israelis breakfast, but egg station is available.

Parking: There is no parking spot readily available and recommend to leave the car to the valet parking attendant. I use 10 NIS tip per exit which is about $3 dollars in the U.S. Daily parking fee is added to the hotel bill which was about $14 dollars per day.

Overall impression: I would stay again at the Renaissance as I have concluded that most hotels in Israel is just about the same. Certain hotels are better than the other hotels but I have yet to find a great hotel in Israel. I think the Ritz Carton just opened so I may try that hotel later if price is within my budget. Just think of this way. Hotels in Israel isn’t Singapore or Hong Kong.

Room Tip: Get Marriott VISA card which will give an Elite status at Marriott hotel if you don't have one.
2  Thank jediplay
HHCBrunoWolf, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Dear Jediplay,

Thank you so much for having gone through such lenghts to rate our Renaissance Tel Aviv Beach Hotel, here on Tripadvisor so well.
We do highly appreciate all the positive things you mentioned about our products and services. We have of course also taken note of your comment about the shower. If you are indeed tall, the fixed shower nozzle can be somewhat low. However, there is also another handshower which should be helpful in such a case.
Thank you for the hint about the guest supplies.
And you are also right about the toilet flush. We are in a process of changing all our toilets. One hundred have been already replaced to better and a more water saving mechanism.
Regarding the club lounge, there are also plans to upgrade and expand it. No detailed plans can be communicated at this time however.
There are 3 PC stations with free Internet access in the lounge.
Thank you also for your recommendation to other readers to have a Marriott Rewards Visa card in order to get Elite status . We would like to emphasize that this solution is only applicable to US residents.
Since you are already a loyal Marriott customer, we assume that you are getting all communication about special offers for all Marriott brands, including our Renaissance Tel Aviv Beach Hotel. These can be booked directly at your specially dedicated website

Thank you again for recommending our Renaissance Tel Aviv Beach Hotel and we are certainly look forward to welcoming you again.

very best regards

There are newer reviews for Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel

Reviewed January 22, 2014

I must admit after reading some of the reviews I got nervous about this hotel. My fears were laid to rest as soon I walked in and was greeted by the hotel staff. The hotel has magnificent views with a perfect beach. It’s an older hotel and the rooms are small by U.S. standards. The workout facility is very old and basic this is a great excuse to go out and walk on the magnificent board-walk. The breakfast is fantastic but I cannot recommend the food at the lobby other than the basic appetizer or sandwich. I’m a Marriott platinum member therefor I had access to the lounge and that was very nice much better than any U.S. Marriott hotels. Just keep in mind this is not a luxury hotel but they do the basics very well.

Room Tip: High floors south facing rooms away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
HHCBrunoWolf, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear San F,

what a great surprise to read your nice comments here on Tripadvisor about our Renaissance Tel Aviv Beach hotel. We are very happy that your initial hesitation was put to rest after you have been here. Of course we cannot please all guests of all ages and nationalities, but in the last years we have done many things to upgrade the hotel in all aspects and we are never finished. In fact we now have only 2 floors left which are not yet renovated, but we are working on it. Also our lounge which you liked a lot, is part of that. Our plan is to enlarge and upgrade it within the coming years. But as you can imagine it will take a larger construction as well as financial effort to make this happen.
We are currently taking a very close look at our gym which normally never got any complaints. Thank you for the comment.
As for the roomsize, you are right. It cannot be compared with US standards as you are used to huge rooms which is almost never the case outside the United States.
We are very happy though, you found the breakfast as well as our hotel staff here at our Renaissance Tel Aviv Beach hotel to be so great. Especially these two items are the most important for most guests and we are glad we do this well.
Since you are a Marriott Rewards Platinum member, we assume you are getting the various communications about special offers and extra points etc.
We are therefore looking forward to have you as our loyal guest again very soon
All the best until then

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Check in experience... $90US for three days worth of slow as molasses internet. Broken elevator, doors open ¼ of the way so no other elevator will open. Just wait until another person comes down and that is your chance to go up to the room. Really????

The room? No A/C; it is only 80 in the room. Open your door and listen to the scooters honk all night long. Really refreshing!!

Mattress edge is about 2" higher than the rest. This is a VERY OLD mattress.

This is far from a Courtyard level hotel - 10 or 20 years ago. Skip it; don't worry about your points and find something that is a bit more "current" in all aspects.

2  Thank Michael K

Dear Michael
Thank you for your post here on Tripadvisor about our Renaissance Tel Aviv Beach hotel.
We keep a strict follow up with reviews posted as we feel we can learn from our guests.
There are comments we can improve on and others that can't be changed.
We noted your comments were written while still at the hotel and tried to contact you. Our Front Office Manager left you a voice message. We hoped to catch you in the morning prior to departure however you had already left at 2 am.

There are some comments that we needed clearing up and our hope was to better understand both sides and solve some of the issues you raised.
We shall definitely look into your comments. Please feel free to contact us directly to discuss further details so that we can find a mutual solution.

I apologize our Renaissance Hotel Tel Aviv Beach did not meet your expectations and would like you to give us another opportunity on your next visit.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

I stay here simply for the points as I am a Platinum Premier Elite member and my colleagues are also. Stayed once at the intercontinental David hotel and it seemed much nicer than this Renaissance. It amazes me that in the USA the Renaissance brand is SO FAR SUPERIOR to those outside the USA. That seems to be a trend with Marriott properties, not sure about other hotel brands.

My "suite" room: narrow bathtub, barely-adjustable shower head, no thermostat, room temp feels like about 76 or 77 degrees (way too warm), illogical fan controls, low water pressure from sink, a knob in the bathroom with no label and apparently no function. Bed was fairly nice. About the only thing in the suite that does not look like it was installed in the 90's is the fairly new LCD TV. Of course, internet speeds are all over the map, usually average to below-average.

Concierge lounge: Poor layout of snacks and breakfast items, and a thermostat set to about 65 degrees, so I wind up quite cold trying to enjoy breakfast after practically sweating in my room all night.

Gym: Dirty and broken equipment, not very impressive.

Have not eaten in the hotel restaurants so can't comment on them.

Staff: Somewhat hit or miss, mostly friendly folks and capable.

Location: Pretty good at the beach. Some new bars and restaurants just opened on the boardwalk.

Overall just cannot recommend this place. Worst overall value I have experienced in a Marriott-branded property.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
HHCBrunoWolf, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear KK
We apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay at our Renaissance Tel Aviv hotel.
Please be assured that we have reviewed your comments seriously.
Your room on one of our top floors has not been renovated yet. We have new renovated rooms and are in the process of renovating all the rooms in the hotel.
There are plans to enlarge and upgrade our Club lounge sometime next year.
As a Marriott Rewards member, we highly recommend you to visit our website on a regular basis in order to keep updated with hotel news and attractive offers.
We certainly hope you will change your opinion and recommend our hotel as well as give us another chance to reinstate your faith in the Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel.
Sincerely yours,

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Right on the beach with wonderful views! Great location for Shabbat. Of course, everything shuts down, but there were groups dancing just below our balcony made of all ages exuding great joy! Joppa is a mile's walk down the beach. The facility is definitely dated, and the food could have been better, but the beds were very comfortable and the staff worked to be accommodating. We stayed here 3 separate nights. My rating is based on location and the staff.

Room Tip: WE thought the rooms with the left side view of the beach were a little better.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We spent about a week in January 2014 and we were happy with the hotel. Its right off the beach and all the rooms look out onto sea with a good sized balcony. Centrally located very close to good restaurants and shopping.

The decor is a bit dated but the hotel is very clean and comfortable.

Breakfast is extensive and very good.

Would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
HHCBrunoWolf, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear Iobie,

Thank you so much for having taken the time to rate our Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel so well here on Tripadvisor, following your stay. It's nice to hear that you stayed an entire week with us. We are also happy to hear that you found our rooms to be clean and comfortable, and the breakfast extensive and good.
You do not mention what part of the decor you found dated. We would have liked to hear this from you, so that we may possibly give you a timeline of projected renovation in that part of the hotel.
You might have noticed that we are in the midst a complete renovation of some of our lower guest room floors.
We do hope that you will visit our Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel again soon. As you noted, the location is central and near shopping, restaurants, entertainment . For your information, you can find some very attractive rate offers bookable on our web site.

Once again, thank you for your stay and for your comments.We look forward to welcoming you at the Renaissance Tel Aviv in the future.

Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel, Israel

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Stayed here for two nights in November. As with any large establishment in Israel, your backpack/purse are given a quick look as well as a handheld wand along your body. It takes a few seconds and isn't intrusive at all.

My wife has Marriott Gold status, so we were upgraded to a higher floor room, provided lounge access along with internet and breakfast in the restaurant. A complimentary mix of fruit was also provided in the room. The hotel is unusually strict about the free wifi code in that you have to sign acknowledging receipt of the code and it can only be used on one device. After housekeeping accidentally threw away our receipt with the code printed on it, the front desk gladly provided a photocopy of the original.

Breakfast is in the restaurant one floor below the entrance. The Israeli breakfast was fantastic and I would highly recommend it, especially the Shakshuka! Lounge was average and felt a bit cramped.

Despite many of the reviews claiming the rooms to be tired, that wasn't the case in our experience. The room was in good condition, with the exception of the minibar fridge that looked out of the 80s, the room wasn't new but wasn't worn either. Given the price though I can understand the furnishings would be underwhelming.

Parking is valet and 50 Shekels a night. Checkout is at the cashiers desk to the left of the front desk. I would've given the hotel 3 stars, but the balcony with an amazing view, the beach access directly from the hotel and the generally friendly staff pushed it to a four.

Room Tip: High floor with southern view towards city and Jaffa.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fia000
HHCBrunoWolf, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Dear Fia000,

Thank you so much for having taken the time to rate our Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel so well here on Tripadvisor. We highly appreciate this as it helps us improve our product and service wherever possible.
With regards to your first comment, we would like to stress that guest security it is our number one priority. We are pleased you did not feel offended by our visible measures at the hotel entrance.
The Internet policy has recently changed. We now offer free Wi-Fi in our Lobby. And since you are a Marriott Rewards Gold member, you were entitled access to our lounge where we offer 3 PC stations with free Internet as well.
We apologize that you felt a little bit cramped in the clublounge. We do have plans to completely renovate and enlarge it. at this point, however, we cannot give a definite timeline yet.
It is good to hear that you enjoyed our Israeli breakfast.
Just as an update, we are in the final stages of complete renovation of another floor of rooms. We immediately begin an additional floor to be completed by early spring.
On our website you can view photos of both room types to see the difference.
Please check our site for special promotions specifically geared to Marriott guests.
We look forward to welcome you at our hotel once again and give you an opportunity to enjoy our newly renovated rooms.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us