“Average Hotel in a great location.”

Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel
Ranked #53 of 98 Hotels in Tel Aviv
San Diego
“Average Hotel in a great location.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Have been staying at this hotel for nearly ten years. I don't think in that entire time anything has been updated in this hotel. I stay here only because I am a lifetime Platinum member and this is the only Marriott Property in Tel Aviv. The location is fantastic right on the beach. The Executive lounge is average at best although the staff is very friendly. The rooms are very dated and could use some refreshing or remodeling. Seems every time I stay here the air conditioning in my room doesn't work! The Internet is slow and unreliable, sometimes unable to complete work projects or carry one a Skype call. The television has many English speaking channels which is nice. The gym at this hotel is very nice with lots of new and updated equipment available. Yes there is some traffic noise that you can here from your rooms but its not too bad, as long as your air conditioner works and you can keep your glass door shut!

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

This is a good property, the beach is right out the back door, the staff were very accommodating, and the views from the room are excellent. The rooms were small but adequate. The service provided was very good, they allowed us a 3:00pm check out and held my bag until I left for my late flight back to the U.S. We did not experience food or beverage service choosing instead to explore Tel Aviv. From what I saw I can recommend staying here, but have one caveat. I stayed on a free night certificate I had from Marriott, but I think the rack rate for a room is around $300 US. My review likely would not have been as glowing had I paid the rack rate.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
nyc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

The best part of our stay here was the breakfast...It was wonderful with so many choices, everything was fresh and beautiful and there were some very typical Israeli breakfast foods and the most amazing fresh dates, and an omelet station, hot foods and all kinds of salads. Everything else at the hotel was mediocre. Our room was pricier than some of its neighboring hotels, but we were willing to splurge bc it was a "Marrriott Renaissance" so expected the best. The lobby and overall feeling of the hotel is very dated. Our room seemed to be updated and was actually very comfortable, especially the beds, but when it got a little warm and I opened the door for fresh air...the street traffic was horrible and the construction down below at the beach was even worse. The combination of traffic and construction could even be heard when the doors were shut. I did speak to the front desk and they offered to move us but I had a feeling I would hear that noise in any of the rooms, so we stayed. The location right on the beach was picturesque and convenient for a stroll, but it was too chilly for us to get out and walk along it. We tended to drive everywhere as we felt like we were on the outskirts of town, but I suppose you could walk if you didn't have a car, although not in the center of town, but again, on the beach...its a choice. The staff was just ok...at best. Not forthcoming or even friendly, but not rude, just Ok. There was nothing about this hotel that felt like a Marriott. Overall I would not stay here again, not worth the money and not really special, ....except for those breakfasts, which I must say overcompensated for anything that was negative, it was a great way to start our day!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Syracuse , NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

After having stayed 5 wonderful days at the beginning of May , my wife and I are disappointed not to have seen the many important people that obviously have stayed here(based on their Trip Advisor reviews) These are people that are upset by the traffic noise , the sounds of construction near the beach as obvious municipal employees improve the area, the joyous sounds of the Shabbat dancers that should have realized that people in one room checked in late and wanted to sleep.
We found all of the staff - regardless of the position to be friendly and helpful in a prompt manner. All of the rooms seemed to have a balcony angled to face the sea(unlike some hotels we noticed) and we found the outdoor areas as well as the very convenient beach access to be conducive to enjoying being outside.
We had just completed a very enjoyable 10 day tour of Israel and eachof the 4 hotels we stayed at charged for Internet so I'm not sure why people complained about the Renaissance.
We also enjoyed an Israeli breakfast every morning but nothing matched the quality of what we had at the Renaissance and the fresh fruit selection was always superior to other places.
Our coffee was served to us on a regular basis at breakfast and we even had members of the wait staff get whatever we wanted from the espresso/latte/cappucino machine.
I have learned to truly value Trip Advisor over the years but also realize that certain people with agendas like to influence readers(like the person that complained about the roosters on Kauai although they are considered icons there). We have friends in the B&B business and they have described instances of vindictive reporting so my suggestion is to give more weight to the larger consensus when making a decision.
Back to the Renaissance , we would definitely stay there again when we return to Israel in the not -too- distant future and we have definitely put the hotel brand on our list when considering trips to other locations.
One further point , the hotel has direct access to Gordon Beach which seemed to be one of the least crowded although extremely enjoyable beaches on the Tel Aviv coastline.

Room Tip: You might prefer a higher floor but we were on the 2nd which afforded us great people watching and d...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ewing, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

If you are looking for a hotel that is located right on the water this should be under consideration. We had only one night but we're glad we spent it here. The staff was helpful and courteous (albeit somewhat 'off' in their predictions of how long it would take to walk to various spots.) Our rooms (we had 3) were upgraded and were very modern, clean and comfortable. It was a long walk (45 minutes) to Jaffa, which we did. We were there on Friday-Saturday, so there wasn't much to do except the beach. The beach was great though. It was a wonderful place to unwind after a long and tiring week. I am fussy about hotels and thought this was great. My one complaint was about the staff at the indoor pool. Unlike the hotel staff, they were rude and unpleasant (with one exception.) They need to make some changes there but otherwise, the staff was terrific. The breakfast buffet was excellent. I do not recommend the dinner there on Friday night (cold food only) and don't understand why it's ok to serve hot breakfast on Saturday a.m. but no hot food on Friday night. If you plan to be there over Shabat, be sure to make a reservation at a restaurant within walking distance. there aren't many and so they book up fast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

I do not understand the poor reviews and we almost did not stay there. We thought it was a great hotel. decorated beautifully with a terrific location. We would definitely stay there again. The breakfast was outstanding.

Room Tip: ask for higher floor, eight or above, facing south towards Jaffa
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Greenwood Village, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Reading other reviews, it appears that our having access to the executive lounge makes a difference. We thought the location was very good, and the breakfast was top notch. They even had fresh squeezed orange juice on the breakfast. Great choices. And we also walked along the beach to old Jaffa City. Then we walked to the city market on the way back. The market is great. Only at the hotel one night, but found the lounge to be friendly and accomidating, with a few choices of local beer and wine, and a nice small breakfast buffet. But go downstairs for breakfast. It is a treat. They also had nice appatizers at the lounge in the evening, as well as cold water and a few other things to drink. The room was good, and we were quite happy. One thing that I would change. If you want a power converter, you had to get it from the bellman, rather than the front desk. As the bellman are not always available, that does not make sense. They take a $5 deposit, and give it back when you return the converter.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends