“Not bad, could have been better”

InterContinental David Tel Aviv
Ranked #51 of 100 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
“Not bad, could have been better”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed in Tel Aviv for 4 nights in October 2011 and the Hotel was nice, beautiful reception area.
The rooms where ok, could have been cleaner. I was a little disappointed with the quality of the food and the presentation. The briefest buffed didn't look like I wander to eat there. The hotel was full at that time and the buffed was just a mess and I lost my appetite looking at it.
It's not difficult to put nice food out, refill it and clean up, so the experience at that Hotel was negative for me.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental David Tel Aviv, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear Corinne F,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. I am pleased you found our rooms and reception area commendable. We are deeply sorry you found our breakfast service and quality of food less than satisfactory. We do value the opinion of our guests as this gives us the avenue to improve the quality and service that we impart. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this is the best resource for improving guest services.

Once again, thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

This hotel offers the comfort, space and facilities you would expect from a hotel in its price range. I have no complaints about my room, the pool or any food I ate at the hotel.

It does lack charm though, this hotel does not feel like it is in a vibrant Mediterranean country, it could be anywhere in the world. The  only friendly staff members were a waiter and the girl who cleaned our room, the rest seemed ambivalent to their guests.

• Stayed September 2012
naamabd, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental David Tel Aviv, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Hi MisterOs, thank you for your comments. We are glad to hear about your stay at our Hotel and we appreciate your input which will be taken into consideration. We hope to see you soon back at our Hotel.
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The hotel is super pricey like all the intercontinental hotels. Nickle and dime you for everything but the service is decent and the foods good. This location will go out of their way to help you as well as many of the locals.
The city is run down and needs a can of paint and whatever. The city is safe but yeesh.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Hi Chris S, thank you for your comments. We are glad to hear about your stay at our Hotel. We hope to see you back at our Hotel soon.
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed September 28, 2012

This was a very disappointing visit. While the hotel showcases a host of services and amenities that should be expected for an Intercontinental and the price you pay, my experience with hotel management and the value you pay simply do not justify either the hotel itself or its inclusion as an Intercontinental property. Better service I have seen at an apartment rental on Dizengoff circa 2002. The service was poor, the staff deceitful and uncommunicative. In sum, this was a real clusterf...k.

A couple of weeks before arrival, my schedule changed, which meant that my fiance and I would arrive at separate times. I contacted the hotel - having previously booked online, but not paid - to ask what was necessary so that my fiance could check in to the room as her flight arrived 3-4 hours prior to mine. I was told specifically to pay over the phone, and she could provide cash (25% of the first night rate) as a security deposit provided I pre-paid for the room. When asked how, the operator responded, 'Just call!'. As I had not been able to have a credit card issued in my fiance's name yet, this seemed like a reasonable thing to do.

Given these explicit instructions, I waited to ensure that we would indeed be arriving separately before pre-paying (and admittedly forgot a few times to call). En route to the airport, I called to do so, at which point I was told that prepayment by phone was forbidden in Israel. When I explained the situation with my fiance, who was by this time airborne, I was told there was nothing that could be done. She couldn't check in. When I maintained that I had been told otherwise, I was asked to give the name of the person which whom I spoke (i.e. who remembers, and if I did...would they have really done something about it?!?). The only way she could get in was to prepay for the entire stay (i.e. which means she would have to possess over $2,000 on her, which she naturally didn't, or provide a credit card, which she does not yet possess). As I had booked a club room, they offered to let her wait first in the lobby, then the club lounge (tho I found out it closed at 22.30, so I have no idea how they would have delivered on this promise), until I arrived. My fiance was due to arrive at midnight to Ben-Gurion; I was scheduled to arrive at close to 4 am. This wasn't an option.

After a lengthy back-and-forth with someone in reservations, where I learned I couldn't rebook the reservation and pre-pay over the Internet or find some alternative (e.g. the hotel asked how much money she had on her, and they would just take this...naturally, as she was airborne, I had no way of knowing and wouldn't send my fiance into an unknown situation like that), I finally was transferred to a night manager, who offered to reconsider allowing her into the room provided she turn over all her cash. In the meantime, I sent a note to a friend in Tel Aviv, whose wedding we were attending, who said he could drive by the hotel and prepay for a night. Exactly what you want your friend to do two nights before his wedding.... Ironically, though, the hotel said if I didn't show, they would charge me one night. So they can pre-bill me if I don't show, but I can't pre-pay if I do actually show up. Very odd.

Reaching out to the night manager, we agreed that he would only block the funds on my friend's credit card, and I would then offer mine when I arrived the following morning. Of course, I arrived to find that they charged my friend the first night's rate contrary to their assurances, necessitating that I run around Tel Aviv in search of a bank machine to find USD to repay my friend. Then when my fiance did arrive, they balked at letting her stay and guaranteeing the four-day reservation as only one night was paid for; they asked her for an additional $1,500. Madness.

Our 'club' room was certainly clubby, a small trapezoid-like space with a small bathroom, and access to the club lounge was useless. Wi-Fi is still charged by device, and no open access wi-fi is available in either the club lounge or lobby. For some reason, though, our friends who booked a non-club room for nearly $130 less had a balcony, which is important if you are lounging by the Med or Dead Sea every day. My advice...get the regular room. Or get another hotel.

As a Ambassador Club member, too, there were no promised amenities: upgrade, newspaper, water or fruit (i.e. fruit did show up one day, but I asked it be delivered later; he never returned. But the only water option was a bottle of Evian for $8.50). Similarly, the spa was under renovation, something not mentioned during the booking process, which compelled us to scramble a bit on the wedding day. Tho the concierge was helpful in this effort, I believe that hotels should be more upfront about these issues in general given today's information resources at our disposal.

Upon departure, I was finally provided an opportunity to voice my displeasure to someone other than a trainee. Naturally, the hotel manager was polite, but sent me off with a plea of ignorance to my situation and without any satisfaction. There was never any acknowledgement of the hotel's misinformation, deceit and parsimony toward its guests, only an ounce of pity toward my plight and the underlying contempt that I would dare question something as sacred as the Intercontinental.

Room Tip: Choose a good room? Try the Sheraton or Hilton.... But get the cheaper option with a balcony.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Tulgan
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental David Tel Aviv, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Tulgan,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at InterContinental David Tel Aviv. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the David Intercontinental in Tel Aviv for a 4 night holiday. The quality of service from valet parking to the staff in the Club Lounge was excellent. We particularly liked the Concierge having their own office area where we could sit and chat with the Concierge instead of standing in the lobby as is common in many other hotels. The hotel enjoys a fabulous location right next to Neve Tzedek which is a wonderful part of Tel Aviv to visit and enjoy. We have stayed in many hotels in Tel Aviv over our many visits.. The David Intercontinental is one we shall definitely return to next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking west over the Mediteranean. Incredible sunset views!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
naamabd, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental David Tel Aviv, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Hi Shleper, thank you for your comments. We are pleased to hear that you had a wonderful stay at our Hotel and that you enjoyed our central location with all its great sights. We hope to have you back at our Hotel again soon.
Ensenada, Mexico
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

I stayed with my husband here for 5 nights. Even though I was attending a meeting, the 2 last nights were at leisure. The hotel lobby is very pleasant and looks to me very new, I think it has been remodeled recently and looks very nice and the atmosphere is great and spacious. The rooms are good standard and so are the bathrooms. The amenities were great, products from the Dead Sea, even though I do not know if they were because of the meeting I was attending. We also had Nespresso machines, which I find fabulous, and different sorts of waters, fruits, and chocolates.
The pool area is also very inviting. The staff is superb, from the bell boys or waiters to the Director and General Manager of the hotel who were always around helping in any small details. At the restaurants the staff very courteous; one morning like 5 or 6 different persons working there at the buffett came to see if everything was fine....we were really surprised, but could be happier. I really recommed this hotel for business or pleasure to anyone.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hi LupsTremac, thank you for your comments. We are glad to hear that you and your husband had an enjoyable stay at our Hotel. We are pleased to hear that you made use of all the great facilities that our Hotel has to offer. We hope to have you back at our Hotel soon.
pinner
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The hotel is well placed between Jaffa and Tel Aviv port first the good we arrived on our anniversary and they left us a cake and a bottle of wine in the room which was a pleasant surprise.
The room was clean and tidied every day with a turn down service,.the room itself was pretty average with a very small bathroom and shower and in my opinion (as with the rest of the Hotel seems dated and in need of a face lift) there is really nothing else the hotel offers in the way of entertainment and if you have kids there is nothing to do except play in the average swimming pool (pretty cold),while we were there they were carrying out refurbishment work downstairs in the pool area so they closed the toilets (which were not particularly convenient anyway as you had to go down steps and a passageway to use them) as they were closed you had to then go in your wet swimsuit through the lounge area to the nearest toilet behind the reception, when I complained to the Duty Manager about the situation he replied he would call house keeping as this was not acceptable and it would be sorted out, it never was and the toilets stayed closed.
After reading other comments from guests I expected more from this class of hotel.So to summerise, average hotel, friendly enough staff, just found the whole David experience pretty boring Loved Tel Aviv but would not stay here again.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed well placed ask for Sea view and view of the City
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family