“The best resturant ever!”
Review of Babai & The Sea

Babai & The Sea
Ranked #1,168 of 1,597 Restaurants in Tel Aviv
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: about a kilometer south of The Old Man & The Sea in Jaffa. I was trying to find The Old Man & The Sea, but I walked along the beach and missed it, what I did find was Babia & The Sea and it was wonderful. I saw The Old Man & The Sea on my walk back and it doesn't compare to Babia & the Sea. Better ambiance, less crowded and no tour bus' Babia has a far better view and I'm glad I found it. Seafood was great, salads were never ending and delicious
Jaffa, Tel Aviv, Israel
“The best resturant ever!”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Babai is a great resturant which serves the most delicious food and the service is the fast and the view of the sea is divine! I recommend this resturant

• Hebrew first
“Exellent restaurant”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Babai is an ideal resturant for people who enjoy eating near the sea becuse the location of babai is perfect and the view is legendary. The place is warm authentuc, the atmosphere is wonderful and the service is very friendly.
The food is fresh and delicious. Moreove the price of the portions are fair.
We strongly recommend that place!!!

Tel Aviv, Israel
“Bye Bye Babai”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The site, looking out at the sea, is great by day. Unfortunately, we were there at night and the atmosphere was gloomy and a bit creepy. The service was listless but did provide enough information for ordering. The first course small salads were tasteless and the pita breads were barely warmed supermarket stale (look, this is Israel 2013 and everybody gives you hot oven-baked fresh pita). The fish dishes were tasty and the calamari and shrimp dishes very good, but the potatoes that accompanied were burned and rock hard and quite possibly a week old. We left after the main course. Since we had coupons, the cost wasn't so bad (full price would have been 500 NIS for four with wine) but you can get a far better meal for that price in many, many other places in Jaffa.

2 Thank Eli G
Tel Aviv, Israel
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Average food but great sea view.”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

It was Saturday around 4pm

Let me start buy saying that probably the main reason to eat at Babai is if you can't get a table in Old Man & The Sea near by. That's why I went there.

The place is neat, and has a nice view to the sea. The food, however was a disappointment both on taste and size of the dish. Pricing is the usual unwelcoming deal of get charged even if you don't eat much and I'll explain.

My partner went for the seafood mix for 89 nis which is the only way to get a main dish. Ordering this allows you to get salads for 15 nis extra, and so we did. Now, since I didn't have that much of an appetite I asked for a starter - calamari stuffed with baby shrimps and calamari heads for 26 nis. Since this was not a main dish I was asked to pay an additional 50! nis for the salads. Fine - whatever...

The salads arrive, the usual medium quality of small salads, fresh vegetable salad, Falafel and Humus with the explanation from the waitress that we can't do a refill on the Falafel, humus and fresh vegetable salad... whatever... The Falafel was cold and uninteresting... the humus as well... the pitas were cold and the rest of the salads uninspiring... we didn't finish even half of any of the plates... they ran out of Ikra (fish eggs) yesterday...

So here comes the seafood mix - and quite surprisingly a very small dish indeed. Perhaps 1.5 calamari in total (sliced), two mussels, 5 or 6 shrimps - something that looks more like a starter ... but we kept silence since may partner was hungry and just wanted to eat. My dish comes as well, and at first it was quite interesting to notice that the amount of calamari there far exceeded the amount of calamari in my partner's place (the main dish...). The calamari was stuffed mostly with basil, and for a minute I was wondering if I misread the menu, but after a few bites I managed to find a tiny bit of calamari head - hurray! I called the waitress to check if I indeed misread and menu... she was happy to know that I've found the bit of calamari head and said - "well, there it is - you have it there"... but said she will let the kitchen know...

Towards the end, with the bill we kindly asked how come the main dish of mixed seafood was so small, "That's the standard" was the reply... "well, a very unsatisfying standard" I replied - a shy face and nothing more - was the response...

with the addition of tea and cola we paid 208 nis, and went home to have some dinner...

I don't know what's wrong with them, but I had the worst feeling of eating in a classical tourist trap...

1 Thank NadavKe