“Less than Perfect” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Reservations
Kfar Saba, Israel
“Less than Perfect”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

We live in Israel and wanted something a bit different for our anniversary. While we very much enjoy the food in the various cafes and grill (Al Ha'esh) resteraunts we were in the mood for something continental. We searched and came up with Trocadero.
The reviews seemed good, the location fine for the evening so we decided to give it a try. We very much wanted to like it, but we were dissapointed. Some of the food was very good but some was just mediocre. We didn't come for or expect mediocre.
We had a trio of liver - one of which was excellent and the other two rather tasteless. We split two appetizers - Chateaubriand and duck - the duck was excellent, the chateaubriand was, again, mediocre.
They also didn't have any red half bottles of wine - another dissapointment (I had to drive, eliminating the full bottle).
All in all - as you can see, this was not what we expected. There are MANY excellent resteraunts in Tel-Aviv. There are many very good resteraunts in Tel-Aviv that are better value than Trocadero.
And one more comment - the air conditioning was not working properly - which is a problem in Tel-Aviv in August....especially when there is no outdoor option.

• Visited August 2012

Jerusalem, Israel
“Very French”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

In preparation for a trip to Paris in a few months, and to celebrate my birthday, husband and I gave this kosher French restaurant a try. The food was good - a welcome change from the usual Israeli fare; but both my entree (sliced breast of duck, which was too rare for my taste) and my husband's (a nice-sized veal chop) came with a side of what I think may have been frozen peas and carrots, and some mashed potatoes - not thrilling to say the least. The opener - a pyramid of fois gras - was basically two pieces of goose liver on a base of sauce-soaked pastry. The sauce - and all the sauces throughout the meal - was great. We had the crepe suzettes for dessert - a tableside production - and they were delicious. The biggest problem - aside from the prices - was the language issue. Our waiter spoke no Hebrew and very little English and our French is almost non-existent. We asked for water and got bottled water; when we asked for tap water instead the waiter insisted there was "normal" water in the bottle so we went ahead and kept ordering. I still don't know what went wrong and if we could have even gotten tap water, but we ended up paying 25 shekels for EACH bottle of water (that's $6!!), which was super annoying. All in all, I wish this restaurant a lot of luck (high-end kosher restaurants are important to have for special occasions) but I doubt we'll be returning.

• Visited August 2012
Israel
“A bad experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

The restaurant was booked for me and four colleagues from the US by the company arranging their trip. I had never heard of the place, and upon arrival, discovered that it was a kosher French restaurant.

Overall - the place was a major disappointment.

Food was OK, but nothing special (including the single portion chateubriand).

The waiter was one of the worst I have ever seen in my life (shouted at us to close the door when we entered, banged bottles onto the table when serving, and touched with his fingers the eating parts of every utensil he brought to the table).

At the end of the meal, when we tried to pay, it turned out that the restaurant's internet was not working, so they could not charge us. To their credit, They handled this well and took the details of the paying host and agreed to contact them later, once they could effect payment.

The only good side of this restaurant is the owner - Gerard- who exhuded charm and really tried to make us feel at home. He also made table side crepe suzettes which were apparently quite good.

All in all - not what I expected, and not what I want when hosting guests from abroad. While we exchanged many smiles during the meal in response to the restaurant's quirks, I will definitely not go there again. There are too many other much better restaurants (including Kosher ones) in Tel-Aviv.

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
North Vancouver, Canada
“great lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

We were walking to the market and saw a corner restaurant with charm. Had a lovely lunch with a half bottle of wine. The soup was fabulous. The food is kosher but taste is in no way compromised by this. The place was full on a week day so lots of business people eating there. Price very reasonable.

• Visited March 2012