“A city weekend”

Ranked #1 of 100 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv, Israel
“A city weekend”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We arrived at the hotel around mid-day. The reception is a cosy living room, very non-formal, sofas, books and the woman - Tova - was very helpful. We were poured glasses of cold lambrusco (which we later learned is free @ the reception area, together with coffee and cookies). We were upgraded to a suite - with a huge bonus - a balcony facing Rotschild Bd. The room is spacious, very clean and pampering - with a large nice shower and a comfortable bed. A cute little stereo with an ipod docking station meant we had our music; a nescafe espresso machine meant we had nice coffee. OTH refreshments and fruit were nice.

They have a breakfast arrangement with the Cantina resturant downstairs which we didn't use.

All in all, a gem in the best of the best location in Tel Aviv, for sure. The nicest resturants and bars are all 2 minutes away - on foot. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We opted to stay on Rothschild Blvd instead of on the sea. And we are very happy we made the choice we did. This hotel is quite special and has clearly thought through how to make a guest's stay enjoyable and stress-free. Remarkable in any big city, all the more so in Tel Aviv.

The "front desk" staff are excellent. (I put that in quotation marks because there is no standard front desk -- you enter and are greeted in a friendly almost living room-like atmosphere, and invited to sit over coffee or tea as a helpful person checks you in on his or her laptop.

Based on our expressed interests, we were loaned a guidebook and also had a reservation made for us at a neighborhood tapas restaurant (excellent choice!) We felt comfortable reviewing our walking tour plans and were given helpful pointers.

The room was large and comfortable. The bathroom was quite elaborate, with lots of glass and glass block and swanky fixtures. The Nespresso machine in the room was a welcome touch. But also there is a wonderful continental breakfast in the "lobby" that is worth a visit. If you want something more substantial, there's a local restaurant you can take your breakfast at.

Super clean, excellent service, lovely accomodations, great coffee and pastries, perfect walking location in an amazing city...you'll feel comfortable and at home in a first class locale in a big, exciting city.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 3, 2012

The Rothschild is in a great location, and the rooms are outfitted with everything you'd need -- including complimentary flip-flops for the beach or a trip to the dead sea - and there is a complimentary continental breakfast and free wi-fi, I was able to use a local gym for free as well. The prices in the hotel minibar are reasonable. The bed was comfortable, the room very well insulated -- not much street noise.

Customer service was generally friendly and responsive -- not always the case in Israel. I arrived early on a red-eye, and while they weren't able to give me a room at 8 AM, they got me in before noon.

Here's where The Rothschild loses a star. They recommended a truly terrible tour operator for a trip to the Dead Sea/Masada (Rent-A-Guide). I expect much better from a property of this quality.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Kfar Saba, Israel
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We came for one night. Loved the room with the espresso machine and healthy snacks, the charming staff and the great location. The L'Occitane toiletries were superb. It is a nice variation from big chain hotels.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nokad10
London
Reviewed November 1, 2012

With thanks to the advice of previous reviewers, we decided to stay at the Rothschild for 3 nights. Check in is friendly and laid back; which pretty much sums up the hotel. We stayed in room 33, which is quite a large space with the added benefit of a balcony with two chairs, and overlooks the Rothschild blvd: this does make it quite noisy, but this is in my opinion outweighed by having an outside space. We ate in Cantina next to the hotel but Hasulchan next door was much better, with nearby Cafe Noir a close second. Print off a map of the hotel if you are arriving by taxi - being a relatively new hotel not many know it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LondonKiwiflyer
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Context:
Visiting Israel on business for 4 nights – meetings in Tel Aviv, Haifa and Jerusalem. The country’s so small and transport good that I based myself in Tel Aviv rather than keep moving hotels.

Positive: small boutique style hotel in a good location on Rothschild – trendy area within about 30 minutes walking distance to Hashalom railway station in one direction and the beach in the other. Lots of restaurants bars and cafes dotted along Rothschild. Staff incredibly friendly – no formal reception area but rather a sitting room with comfortable chairs, table and tea/ coffee machine. Free and quick Wi-Fi. Room clean and comfortable with a separate area with ‘kitchen’ sink, coffee machine, kettle, etc.

Negative: I was in what I assume is one of the smallest rooms – it didn’t have a desk which was a downside for me as I needed to work in the evenings but I sat in the sitting room downstairs instead which was absolutely fine. The bathroom was a little small with not much space for personal toiletries although the Rothschild provides nice L’Occitane products. The main downside was the area is quite noisy – not a problem if you’re on holiday and can join in but if you’re on business and need a decent night’s sleep take some ear plugs.

I’d recommend this place to holiday makers and would consider staying here again myself, even for another business trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ct
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I read all of the reviews on Trip Advisor, and I am a frequent traveler to Tel Aviv, so I switched from my normal hotel and tried The Rothchild. In sum, I thought it was a very good hotel, in a nice location. It is a boutique hotel, which I much prefer over traditional chains. Here are the quick pros and cons:

Pros:
- Casual, relaxed, cool and easy check-in/check out
- Young, local and friendly staff
- Nicely decorated with unique art, and a comfortable library/lobby
- Rooms are large and well-priced for the size; mine had a living room and two large flat screen tvs
- Rooms are nicely and uniquely decorated and contemporary in style
- I had a small balcony
- Rothchild Blvd is a nice looking, upscale street that is centrally located
- Lots of restaurants and people watching. Easy walking distance to other neighborhoods.
- Free internet/unlimited devices. Don't underestimate the value of this in Israel, where many hotels charge $20 for wifi access per device.

Things to Consider:
- Location: not very close to the beach, which should be a highlight for any visitor; also the beach helps give you a sense of direction for walking the city. The further away from the beach, the easier it is to lose your way.
- Views and noise: The Rothchild is a former apartment house that is in the middle of a block. Views directly into other buildings. I found the rooms a little noisy due to construction on Rothchild Blvd, but I wouldn't say that it rose to any level of ruining my experience as construction only occurred after 7am and the windows blocked most of the noise.
- Quirky room set ups: My room was huge, but the sofa did not have a pullout, if I had brought any of my kids, and the bedroom was tiny and while it had a doorway, it had no door so it opened directly into the large living area. The living area itself was not carpeted wall to wall, so the floors could be a little cold. Furniture, generally speaking, was sparse. It wasn't quite set up for socializing or work. Again, no real problem with this, but the decoration lacked intention.
- No bath: no big deal for me but since the rooms were large, the bathrooms seemed small and did not have bathtubs.

When you are choosing a place to stay in Tel Aviv, you really have 3 categories to choose from. First, are the large chain type hotels, which are almost all on the beach. These are the Hilton, the Dan, Sheraton, Herod and Intercontinental. Of these, the Intercontinental is the newest and nicest. The others have nice beach clubs or private beaches, but they are a little tired as far as decor, etc. Then you have cheaper chain style hotels. I haven't stayed in them so I can't comment. Finally, is the growing category of entrepreneur owned boutique, designer hotels. The Rothchild falls into this latter category. It is certainly a nice hotel for this category, but it does lack a little in terms of location (no matter how nice Rothchchild Blvd is, it is just a different experience when you are closer to the sea) and decor. All that said, it simply involves some trade offs. My room at The Rothchild was almost 1/2 as much cost/night as a room at one of the larger chains, and I probably had more space.

Bottom line is that it is a fun hotel, in a good location with plenty to explore - you just need to evaluate your priorities before you book. For me, and this is purely personal, I like the southern part of Tel Aviv that is closer to Jaffa and Neve Tzedek better than the interior and north of Tel Aviv. I find that part of town slower, more historical in architecture and closer to the underdeveloped beaches. It's really a matter of personal preference, as Rothchild Blvd is certainly an attractive part of town too.

Room Tip: It's probably worth paying $20/30 to get an upgraded room that is larger