“Loved it!”

Ranked #1 of 100 Hotels in Tel Aviv
London
“Loved it!”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

With thanks to the advice of previous reviewers, we decided to stay at the Rothschild for 3 nights. Check in is friendly and laid back; which pretty much sums up the hotel. We stayed in room 33, which is quite a large space with the added benefit of a balcony with two chairs, and overlooks the Rothschild blvd: this does make it quite noisy, but this is in my opinion outweighed by having an outside space. We ate in Cantina next to the hotel but Hasulchan next door was much better, with nearby Cafe Noir a close second. Print off a map of the hotel if you are arriving by taxi - being a relatively new hotel not many know it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LondonKiwiflyer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Context:
Visiting Israel on business for 4 nights – meetings in Tel Aviv, Haifa and Jerusalem. The country’s so small and transport good that I based myself in Tel Aviv rather than keep moving hotels.

Positive: small boutique style hotel in a good location on Rothschild – trendy area within about 30 minutes walking distance to Hashalom railway station in one direction and the beach in the other. Lots of restaurants bars and cafes dotted along Rothschild. Staff incredibly friendly – no formal reception area but rather a sitting room with comfortable chairs, table and tea/ coffee machine. Free and quick Wi-Fi. Room clean and comfortable with a separate area with ‘kitchen’ sink, coffee machine, kettle, etc.

Negative: I was in what I assume is one of the smallest rooms – it didn’t have a desk which was a downside for me as I needed to work in the evenings but I sat in the sitting room downstairs instead which was absolutely fine. The bathroom was a little small with not much space for personal toiletries although the Rothschild provides nice L’Occitane products. The main downside was the area is quite noisy – not a problem if you’re on holiday and can join in but if you’re on business and need a decent night’s sleep take some ear plugs.

I’d recommend this place to holiday makers and would consider staying here again myself, even for another business trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ct
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I read all of the reviews on Trip Advisor, and I am a frequent traveler to Tel Aviv, so I switched from my normal hotel and tried The Rothchild. In sum, I thought it was a very good hotel, in a nice location. It is a boutique hotel, which I much prefer over traditional chains. Here are the quick pros and cons:

Pros:
- Casual, relaxed, cool and easy check-in/check out
- Young, local and friendly staff
- Nicely decorated with unique art, and a comfortable library/lobby
- Rooms are large and well-priced for the size; mine had a living room and two large flat screen tvs
- Rooms are nicely and uniquely decorated and contemporary in style
- I had a small balcony
- Rothchild Blvd is a nice looking, upscale street that is centrally located
- Lots of restaurants and people watching. Easy walking distance to other neighborhoods.
- Free internet/unlimited devices. Don't underestimate the value of this in Israel, where many hotels charge $20 for wifi access per device.

Things to Consider:
- Location: not very close to the beach, which should be a highlight for any visitor; also the beach helps give you a sense of direction for walking the city. The further away from the beach, the easier it is to lose your way.
- Views and noise: The Rothchild is a former apartment house that is in the middle of a block. Views directly into other buildings. I found the rooms a little noisy due to construction on Rothchild Blvd, but I wouldn't say that it rose to any level of ruining my experience as construction only occurred after 7am and the windows blocked most of the noise.
- Quirky room set ups: My room was huge, but the sofa did not have a pullout, if I had brought any of my kids, and the bedroom was tiny and while it had a doorway, it had no door so it opened directly into the large living area. The living area itself was not carpeted wall to wall, so the floors could be a little cold. Furniture, generally speaking, was sparse. It wasn't quite set up for socializing or work. Again, no real problem with this, but the decoration lacked intention.
- No bath: no big deal for me but since the rooms were large, the bathrooms seemed small and did not have bathtubs.

When you are choosing a place to stay in Tel Aviv, you really have 3 categories to choose from. First, are the large chain type hotels, which are almost all on the beach. These are the Hilton, the Dan, Sheraton, Herod and Intercontinental. Of these, the Intercontinental is the newest and nicest. The others have nice beach clubs or private beaches, but they are a little tired as far as decor, etc. Then you have cheaper chain style hotels. I haven't stayed in them so I can't comment. Finally, is the growing category of entrepreneur owned boutique, designer hotels. The Rothchild falls into this latter category. It is certainly a nice hotel for this category, but it does lack a little in terms of location (no matter how nice Rothchchild Blvd is, it is just a different experience when you are closer to the sea) and decor. All that said, it simply involves some trade offs. My room at The Rothchild was almost 1/2 as much cost/night as a room at one of the larger chains, and I probably had more space.

Bottom line is that it is a fun hotel, in a good location with plenty to explore - you just need to evaluate your priorities before you book. For me, and this is purely personal, I like the southern part of Tel Aviv that is closer to Jaffa and Neve Tzedek better than the interior and north of Tel Aviv. I find that part of town slower, more historical in architecture and closer to the underdeveloped beaches. It's really a matter of personal preference, as Rothchild Blvd is certainly an attractive part of town too.

Room Tip: It's probably worth paying $20/30 to get an upgraded room that is larger
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank glbtrvler
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed October 27, 2012

we arrived on friday for a short weekend getaway, the lobby reception was warm and swift, we were accompanied to our suite which was wonderfully designed and had a large bed and a beautiful veiw of rothschild boulevard, one of the most trendy locations in Tel Aviv.
The room is fully equipped with all you can wish for, and in a stylish way.
The hotel staff was highly professional and kind, to support us in our every wish.
A complementary bottle of Lambrusco was sent up to our room to our delight.
This was our first stay, and we will surely return in the near future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

We were two families , four rooms in mid Oct.
The people are very pleasant and the service is excellent. It is a very stylish hotel at the heart of Tel Aviv.
Location is great, close to all centrall location.
Very recommend hotel .

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Izi F
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I stayed only one night in October 2012 but wish I could have stayed longer. My experience was very much like that of the other positive reviews. We were greeted with champagne and a charming and warm welcome. Our room was beautifully appointed and extremely clean. It was both high tech and artsy at the same time. We enjoyed the details like the espresso machine and L'Occitane toiletries. All of the staff with whom we interacted were helpful and charming. Good service is rare in Tel Aviv which made it that much more special. I highly recommend this hotel and would stay here again when in Tel Aviv.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Barrett A
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed at The Rothschild from 3rd October - 8th October 2012.
I was allocated room 38 on the third floor. Which turned out to be a magic studio delightfully furnished and squeaky clean.
The staff were very friendly, helpful and efficient.
Good points - everything
Bad points - nothing
Problems - just one - the entrance to the hotel is at the side of the building and set back from the road - some taxi drivers couldn't find it

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo