“Nothing to write home about”
Review of Shtsupak

Shtsupak
Ranked #106 of 1,669 Restaurants in Tel Aviv
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Seafood, Israeli
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Shtsupak has been serving fresh and special dishes for more than 20 years, hence its steady stream of regular customers. Throughout the years, It has become a tradition and custom for the locals. Delicious varieties of fresh fish and seafood are accompanied by a generous selection of Mediterranean salads, guarantee a meal of pure enjoyment and simplicity from the sea.
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Average food, average prices, average service - nothing much you can say about this place. My whole family chose this place for a special occasion - wrong choice. In most of the Israeli fish restaurants you are stuffed by the time you finish the meze - here most of them were inedible. The mains did little to improve the situation - fish with a strong fishy smell is a good indication that the fish isn't fresh - certainly the case here. There is a much better restaurant down the road - Barbunia,

Reviewed June 14, 2013

very good food, for the fish and the meat we tried. service was very fast and good. each person who orders main course get the salads for free. the bad part they are very cheap with bread. regarding parking in the area there are some public parking and the restaurant offers valet parking (didn't try it).

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Enjoyed my meal at Shtupak, our favorite family fish place, for maybe the 30th time. The meze (variety of small salads) are simple, fresh and delicious; my particular weakness is their sweet & sour matjes herring and ikra. My big plate of deep-fried calamari and shrimp was expertly done - tender and not greasy. Hubby's grilled whole red drum fish was fresh and tasty.
You will not find creative or suprising flavors here as the place, a real Tel Aviv mainstay, has no pretentions. Service is always swift and polite. Prices are normal for local fish restaurants and portions generous. It's also a fun place for showing off the "real" Tel Aviv to guests from out of town, especially families with children.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

On my first trip the breaded and fried shrimp was straight out of a plastic bag. On my second trip two years later I thought I'd give the place a second chance. I ordered grilled fish believing it would be safer. It arrived on an oil-soaked piece of something green. It tasted overly fishy which means it wasn't fresh. Speaking of which, the chopped green salad looked so forlorn that I couldn't bring myself to touch it. The starters? Big. Tasty? Basic, and in no way could they compare with the starters at a superb seafood restaurant like Manta Ray. Or even Barbounia which is much fresher and only a few blocks south. The only reason that I can figure out why this place is so popular is that the portions are big(?) it just confirms that most people don't really understand what good food should taste like. Finally, the person who laid out my change gave me a bunch of twenties in the belief that I might not understand the currency and would leave a bigger tip. Considering that I wasn't asked whether I wanted a drink, that I wasn't given a glass of complimentary soda water or even a glass of tap water led to the standard Israeli 10% tip. Quite frankly, I feel that this place is an insult to the palate of people who expect an above average meal. This one is a thumbs down. There are so many other real restaurants in Tel Aviv that there's no reason to eat in this schlock shop. Try Raphael -- the prices are the same but you must reserve ahead of time -- or even Catit, which now serves a reasonably priced luncheon menu. These are the restaurants that deserve to be called restaurants while Shtupak is merely an eating place.

1  Thank Foodfora
Reviewed March 21, 2013

While in Israel for a few days, got together with friends living there who recommended this place. A nice option to sit outdoors which we did. One really can experience Tel-Aviv here. A barrage of wonderfull looking and even better tasting salads arrived followed by our drinks. I had a great glass of merlot followed by sea breem whole fish grilled. 2 creamy sauces made this eventful. fish was fresh and did not need too much prep. my friends had garlic creamy shrimp and sea basss also tasted wonderful. total with drinks 346 shekels (incl tip) approx $93