“excellent food in a nice atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe 48 - CLOSED

Cafe 48
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Ghent, Belgium
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“excellent food in a nice atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

Beautiful restaurant with very nice food and helpful staff. Only disadvantage is perhaps that food arrived rather fast. But it's a place where I want to return.

• Visited February 2014

Tel Aviv, Israel
“not as good as i'd expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

the place looked very promising, and i had heard good reviews, but i was overall less than impressed by the food and the service.
my boyfriend and i sat on the bar and our bar-man/server was intense and a little hostile. it was unpleasant.

• Visited December 2013
“Creative menu, local food with a foreign twist”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

With a very creative chef and friendly service, this place is a regular on my list, ever since it popped up some two years ago. Make sure you try the chicken hearts, and basically anything that has pork in it. Oh, and the broccominis, when they have them. And then, in a category of its own, is the Crack Pie dessert.
One night, after having street food on Ibn Gvirol, we walked for 35 minutes across town just to get a slice of Crack Pie. THAT is how good it is. We ended up having four. We still joke about the sugar rush we had that whole night.

Kfar Saba, Israel
“Great evening!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

Friends suggested Cafe 48, so three of us found ourselves there. How lucky we were. The atmosphere of the restaurant itself was so serene, with space between tables, even though the seating area was not large, and great music in the background- at a level where you could hear it but also hear the person you were talking to.
The food was sublime. We ordered five dishes- the cornbread special (not at all like what I had expected-fresh kernels of corn sprinkled over cheese- covered cornbread), beet salad, thai chicken salad, oxtail ragu with papparadelle, and a shpundra (whatever that is in English) "slider". Every single dish had its own unique flavor, not to mention delicately beautiful presentations. The texture and the taste of the beet salad, with its two types of beets and spice, was fresh and begged for "no sharing" The two beef orders arrived at the same time. I was wowed by the distinct flavors in each dish. The oxtail ragu had been simmered in wine and yet was not an overpowering dish. The flavor and the tenderness of the beef contrasted nicely with the pasta- complemented each other. The "slider" was creative and the flavor of the meat was entirely different from the oxtail...and equally as delicious.
We didn't have any seafood or pork (specially made sausages), but have heard that these menu items shouldn't be missed.
And for dessert, the divine crack pie (I'd never had it before...in fact, I had never heard of it) melted over my tongue. I think next time, however, I will have to have the chocolate and salted caramel pie (sounds amazing). And there definitely will be a next time. Kudos to the chef and the wonderful, professional servers.

New York, NY
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

A colleague and I stumbled upon this place during a recent visit, and we were blown away by it. We both ordered dishes that very often frustrate chefs. I was in the mood for something Eastern European, so I ordered a tongue dish. Tongue is bland, difficult to wrestle with. But the chef, who appears to be something of a genius, infused it with mustard and made it magical somehow. Honestly, it was one of the best meals I've ever had.

My colleague had a steamed fish dish, and I tasted it. Wow! Really excellent.

Subsequently we found out that this restaurant is rated very highly in all the guidebooks. Believe them.

1 Thank Dantonovitch