“beware: unprofessional hostel owner”

Chef Hostel Tel Aviv Montefiore
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We booked a room in this hostel but by arrival the hostelowner 'upgraded' us to the room next to his own bedroom... He was all the time entering our room with many stupid excuses and even in the middle of the night when we were sleeping, he sneaked in to put for instance chocolat next to our bed. He was offering a discount, but in return he claimed 100% of our attention. When we didn't want to go out with him, he instantly doubled the price that we agreed first. When we left the hostel he tried to rip us off by taking money from our credit card without permission. We even had to go press charges at the police!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
11  Thank TheGirls88
roycohen, Owner at Chef Hostel Tel Aviv Montefiore, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

these two girls originally booked through a friend a private room for 8 nights for 60 euro a night ,
the friend was showen the exact room the girls got , "no upgrade" they were treated like friends, and were offered to go out with the owner and managnet like friends..

very soon a very premiscous behaviore was out in the open , girls stole bottle of Wiskey from a clubs storge , and drunk till no reccordance of having sex in the middle of the hostel living room , had guys in their private room that were not allowed there .

girls avoided to come up to reception for days, when finaly when asked to pay 7 days after check in. they said that the price thier frind told them was 50 euro a night, we checked in the offer and indeed our offer was 60 , but the mutual friend has communicated wrong price , never mind i said , we will do it by 50euro a night .

they were in this point supposed to pay already open bill was standing 8 days. which is not acceptable. girls asked to pay next day on friday ,

on thurrsday they were out with the owner and other guests clubbing and all was good came back home at 6:00 , when the private quarters were awaken twice by one of the girls and the guy she was sleeping with , buzzing the door to the private quarters and waking up five other rooms, in the morning other guests complaned about the live sex show in the middle of the living room with one of the other guests . this girl was over the top and her behavior put her in shame to stay in such a intimate place

on friday they split with out paying and reported their card stolen , so we cannot charge what we deserve

we contacted the police and located then in another hostel. the police picked them out of their beds in the middle of the night , broght them into the station in thier slutty clothes freezing to death.
questening went on for hours , they have said so many lies there and have many misfit facts.

next morning we fieled a process in court , and the file is still in proceedings for a lawsuit of 5000 euro

There are newer reviews for Chef Hostel Tel Aviv Montefiore

Reviewed January 11, 2013

very great hostel !!!!!!!!!!!!
if you want to know people and have fun party you have to go there !!!!!!!!!!!!!
have a good day !!!!!!!!!

People who work there are awesome !!!!!
The old town of tel aviv is also beautiful and the hostel is very cose !!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 15, 2012

We stayed in a private suite, with full bathroom, living room, double bed and extra cot. All the privacy you could want and yet a hostel...go to the main areas to chat with other travelers. Great place to hang out and in a perfect location in the city centre. Staff was helpful in pointing out where to go for dinner, drinks or chilling out.

Room Tip: private room downstairs.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My experience with the hostel has been flawless. The location is perfect, and the owner is very helpful and friendly. I was a bit concerned as I just booked my room just before I head to Tel Aviv from Jerusalem (one hour) and it was Shabbat, but they accommodated me still. I paid exactly what I was supposed to based on my booking, and the additional charges are on the site anyway so I had no problem paying for the sheets. I guess would have been better if this is just incorporated in the final price if it continues to irk other travelers, but personally, I had no problem with this, especially considering the good experience I had staying here.

I even had extended for one more day, forgot to inform them and just left for the day for a walk with my items still in my bed. They didn't have a problem with this (although I don't recommend this specially during peak season).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The staff was efficient for booking me in and arranging for airport transfer. However, this place is quite dinghy. The living room is dusty and shelves are full of stuff left over by guests. The bedsheets were flimsy and made of some polyester material that were overwashed and rough and had to pay 13 shekals for them. The pillow is funny too. The internal was tangled balls of polyester. Looked like it has been thrown in the machine too many times. There's poor sound proofing so it was good I had earplugs. Good thing I stayed only one night. Never again.

Room Tip: If you must, bring your own linen and ear plugs.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank wildlallang
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This hostel is reasonably priced and in a great central location. The staff are friendly and laid back, the atmosphere is great and the place has good facilities. I recommend staying here you won't find a better hostel in TA

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Place is in a great location however the staff and volunteers are quite rude and make you feel as if you are pestering them when asking a simple question, atmosphere is lacking and was not the best hostel I stayed in Tel aviv

• Stayed: August 2012