“Cool hostel”

Chef Hostel Tel Aviv Montefiore
Vang Vieng, Laos
“Cool hostel”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My experience with the hostel has been flawless. The location is perfect, and the owner is very helpful and friendly. I was a bit concerned as I just booked my room just before I head to Tel Aviv from Jerusalem (one hour) and it was Shabbat, but they accommodated me still. I paid exactly what I was supposed to based on my booking, and the additional charges are on the site anyway so I had no problem paying for the sheets. I guess would have been better if this is just incorporated in the final price if it continues to irk other travelers, but personally, I had no problem with this, especially considering the good experience I had staying here.

I even had extended for one more day, forgot to inform them and just left for the day for a walk with my items still in my bed. They didn't have a problem with this (although I don't recommend this specially during peak season).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Singapore
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The staff was efficient for booking me in and arranging for airport transfer. However, this place is quite dinghy. The living room is dusty and shelves are full of stuff left over by guests. The bedsheets were flimsy and made of some polyester material that were overwashed and rough and had to pay 13 shekals for them. The pillow is funny too. The internal was tangled balls of polyester. Looked like it has been thrown in the machine too many times. There's poor sound proofing so it was good I had earplugs. Good thing I stayed only one night. Never again.

Room Tip: If you must, bring your own linen and ear plugs.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank wildlallang
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This hostel is reasonably priced and in a great central location. The staff are friendly and laid back, the atmosphere is great and the place has good facilities. I recommend staying here you won't find a better hostel in TA

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Place is in a great location however the staff and volunteers are quite rude and make you feel as if you are pestering them when asking a simple question, atmosphere is lacking and was not the best hostel I stayed in Tel aviv

• Stayed August 2012
9 Thank Burnsy19
Manhattan, New York, United States
Reviewed August 17, 2012

This place is well located, not far away from the beaches (15mn) and nightlife.
However, it's grossly overpriced.
The owner and his son are not very welcoming, and are more interested by the fare than by offering a good customer experience.
Rooms are clean, but are accommodating up to 14 people.
Therefore it is nearly impossible to sleep.
The shower is right in the bedroom, meaning you have no intimacy for showering.
Consequently, I don't recommend this place.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 14 (accomodating 14 ppl !!!) and room 10 (10 ppl)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank fbnyc
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Chef is a great hostel with good atmosphere and nice people. You can sit outside till late with music on and have a chat with the other travelers (untill the neighbours call the police :p). They have their own big kitchen in which you can prepare your meals. You can buy beers and other drinks for a good price. The location is also great, next to a supermarket and next to the best bars in town. I recommend this hostel to everybody who is going to tel aviv!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Eilat, Israel
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I've stayed in Chef Hostel for one night. I didn't make a reservation, but I already have known the price. Nevertheless he asked me higher price than internet. about 100 shekel. I made argument and then he gave the room as normal price.

Next... in the morning. He knocked the door strongly. I had to wake up early. I asked why? he asked 100 shekel again to me because I locked the door... There is a small bathroom next to my room and one door more in front of my room and bathroom. Before I slept, I locked the door for security... But he said. Because of me... Nobody could use the share bathroom. However I know there is other big bathroom also and I checked always this bathroom was empty and Nobody didn't use a bathroom near by my room. And I just locked the door from 1 oclock~ 7oclock at night. I knew that was my a little mistake, but I didn't make any problem.

But!! He wanted to get money from me.... I refused... I needed to put my luggage before I took the bus. But they refused.. they again asked money to me... They really hate Asian or They really love money?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank Jonghyuck H
roycohen, Owner at Chef Hostel Tel Aviv Montefiore, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Thid guys are a joke try to take every thing for free and get away. i invested tousends to build an extra bathroom for the privae quartes to have tgere two baths and two showers for 4 private rooms. these guys saw a last minute offer at the evening and arrived showing me the special price managment posted for that night. they got that price. and although knowing they have a shered bathroom and not private. the locked the bath for themselfs . in the morning i woke them letting them know tbat is extra. they came down unwilling to pay. i let them go with it cause no harm donr since i woke the up before other tenents. then they asked leaving the lauggae for yhe day. i refused like they refused and like they had nerve eanogh to asset the bath for them . i did not feel generous towards people who can damage my business knowingly.

In this talk its them who said " expkain me is it your people who like money " ? In this poibt i slammed the door in thier face