“Just if no other Hostel available.”

Chef Hostel Tel Aviv Montefiore
Manhattan, New York, United States
“Just if no other Hostel available.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

This place is well located, not far away from the beaches (15mn) and nightlife.
However, it's grossly overpriced.
The owner and his son are not very welcoming, and are more interested by the fare than by offering a good customer experience.
Rooms are clean, but are accommodating up to 14 people.
Therefore it is nearly impossible to sleep.
The shower is right in the bedroom, meaning you have no intimacy for showering.
Consequently, I don't recommend this place.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 14 (accomodating 14 ppl !!!) and room 10 (10 ppl)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank fbnyc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

Chef is a great hostel with good atmosphere and nice people. You can sit outside till late with music on and have a chat with the other travelers (untill the neighbours call the police :p). They have their own big kitchen in which you can prepare your meals. You can buy beers and other drinks for a good price. The location is also great, next to a supermarket and next to the best bars in town. I recommend this hostel to everybody who is going to tel aviv!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Eilat, Israel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

I've stayed in Chef Hostel for one night. I didn't make a reservation, but I already have known the price. Nevertheless he asked me higher price than internet. about 100 shekel. I made argument and then he gave the room as normal price.

Next... in the morning. He knocked the door strongly. I had to wake up early. I asked why? he asked 100 shekel again to me because I locked the door... There is a small bathroom next to my room and one door more in front of my room and bathroom. Before I slept, I locked the door for security... But he said. Because of me... Nobody could use the share bathroom. However I know there is other big bathroom also and I checked always this bathroom was empty and Nobody didn't use a bathroom near by my room. And I just locked the door from 1 oclock~ 7oclock at night. I knew that was my a little mistake, but I didn't make any problem.

But!! He wanted to get money from me.... I refused... I needed to put my luggage before I took the bus. But they refused.. they again asked money to me... They really hate Asian or They really love money?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank Jonghyuck H
roycohen, Owner at Chef Hostel Tel Aviv Montefiore, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Thid guys are a joke try to take every thing for free and get away. i invested tousends to build an extra bathroom for the privae quartes to have tgere two baths and two showers for 4 private rooms. these guys saw a last minute offer at the evening and arrived showing me the special price managment posted for that night. they got that price. and although knowing they have a shered bathroom and not private. the locked the bath for themselfs . in the morning i woke them letting them know tbat is extra. they came down unwilling to pay. i let them go with it cause no harm donr since i woke the up before other tenents. then they asked leaving the lauggae for yhe day. i refused like they refused and like they had nerve eanogh to asset the bath for them . i did not feel generous towards people who can damage my business knowingly.

In this talk its them who said " expkain me is it your people who like money " ? In this poibt i slammed the door in thier face
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

The hostel is situated a 100m walk from Allenby street, and several minutes away from the market and beach. The bedrooms are fairly spacious, but are without lockers to lock your stuff in for safe keeping. The lounge area is big, with two computers and internet, cable tv, and a fridge with beers and drinks (at a cost). There is a nice patio / lounge area outside, with couches, a mini bar, small splash pool...personally I feel that the hostel is over priced after chatting to several people who were in Tel Aviv round the same time - there are hostels situated on the beach front costing 33% less, with a bar area downstairs, and a better 'hostel vibe'.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank mrkleinsmith
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

I stayed at this hostel for about a week and had a blast! The showers and toilets are immaculately clean; the mattresses are thick and comfortable; the manager, Roy, is always happy to help; and there are several social areas which makes meeting new people really easy. The hostel also happens to be a few minutes walk from the Central Bus Station, the beach, a 10 shekel falafel place, a rumoured 6 shekel falafel place and some amazing clubs.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

Just renovated. Lots of character. The manager was a character but he let us leave our stuff, hang around and use the internet for the whole day after we'd checked out waiting for our flight. Definitely recommended. It's a labour of love hostel. The manager's dad is also an incredibly sweet, earnest and sincere guy with lots of advice about the city.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Tel Aviv
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

I travelled for two weeks around Israel and have never stayed in such a nice hostel. The hostel is in a very good location - its close to Tel Aviv's markets and a 7 minute short walk to the beach. The owners are friendly and very helpful. There is a large common room and it has a big garden to sun bath and relax. Everything is less than a year old - its a brand new hostel in Tel Aviv. Also there is a blackboard with events and tours (mostly free) on it. It has recently prepared the upper floor and now features more rooms and more showers. I stayed in a dorm and in a double room and can definitively recommend this hostel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends