“great atmosphere and very friendly staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Florentine Hostel

Florentine Hostel
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
“great atmosphere and very friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Me and my boyfriend started our Israel trip in Tel Aviv staying at the Florentine hostel. We spent an awesome time at this very cool place. The relaxed and laid-back team and volunteers instantly make you feel welcome and at ease. Ask them anything and they'll help you. Was really helpful for us, especially when it came to how the public bus and train system works, best food places, car rentals etc. Also very good value for money. We'd go back anytime! Cheers, Daniela & Dominic

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bangor, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I was sad to have my first properly negative hostelling experience in almost 10 years in this hostel. As a female who travels alone, feeling like I am in a safe environment is important to me.
On my first night I was watching a film on my laptop into the small hours when a man (who turned out to be the owner) came into the kitchen. We had a brief conversation. He told me I was very sexy, and would I like to sit next to him on the sofa? (I would not.) Would I like to come to his room? (No.) What do English girls look for in a foreign man? (Subtlety.) Eventually I managed to wriggle away to my dorm, but not before he'd run his hand up and down my arm and made me feel pretty uncomfortable.

He apologised the next day, but that night the same thing happened again. He asked if he could touch me, if I could come to his room etc. Totally uncalled for, unprovoked, and unprofessional. I wouldn't recommend this hostel under his management for any females travelling alone or without men in their groups.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
16 Thank petitpocketmouse
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

I spent 4 nights total at the Florentine Hostel, and very much enjoyed my stay. Managing to lose my passport my second day in Israel, the staff were very understanding and helpful (e.g. pointing me to the nearest police station, letting me leave my bags in the room when they really should've been on the luggage rack, and a free room upgrade!), and the eclectic, international mix of fantastic people I met on the communal terrace were a welcome distraction. To reiterate what other reviews have said, it's a very "homey" feeling place - relaxing, but with something always going on. Miss it already!

Best wishes to the Florentine staff, volunteers, and my fellow travellers.
Natalie

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Akiita
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We phoned around a few hostels upon arrival and decided on Florentine, phoned them back, booked a room and told them we would arrive in 30 mins. When arrived the girl told us they had sold our room to someone else because we hadnt confirmed our booking with a credit card payment - she didnt tell us we needed to do this when we phoned - TWICE. She did help us to find a room in another hostel, but its not really what you want at 10pm at night after a long day travelling. Glad we didnt stay there in the end as its located in a really run down, dodgy looking part of town. If you do have to stay here make sure your booking is paid for, but really you would be much better off staying somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was a really wonderful place. We were only there for a night but wished we could have stayed longer. The street it’s located on is a bit run down but the area around it a really nice. A short walk to the water, Old Jaffa and some bars and clubs. The staff was great. They gave us maps told us everything we needed to know about the area, and made sure we were comfortable and had everything we wanted. The rooftop was amazing! Such a nice atmosphere. We were there for Shabbat and they cooked a Shabbat dinner for everyone and others brought stuff. It was very nice and welcoming place to be and it made our travels so much more enjoyable to be is such a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
torino
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

This hostel has good and cheap double & private rooms, and a comfy, relaxing balcony. The atmosphere is really sababa, but Ron and Natalie, the guys @ the reception, are warm and friendly and just the ideal hosts.
The only thing is the neighbourhood - i wouldn't recommend it to women travelling on their own; and the mood of the area, generally speaking, is rather shallow.
So i advise this place warmly if:
- you're very laid back and open-minded
- you're looking for easy, international company
- you are on a budget
And i do not if
- you are women travel alone.
- you don't mind to look for new people
- you are very fussy and love to get all the comforts (why do you travel to a hostel, then)

• Stayed January 2013
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

I was here for 2-3 weeks, about a year ago. I had an excellent time, made many friends and it really, really, felt like a home away from home for me.

I would highly recommend this place for people looking to camp down in Tel Aviv for a week or two, and slowly get to know the place while making some friends at the same time. For shorter stays, might not be the best place though as the charm of this hostel is its warmth, friendliness and security, and none of these are automatic or even really possible in any hostel in just a 2 night stay.

Very cool style, generally speaking, great collections of people (medium and longer term guests) amazing facilities. A little spartan, but more industrial chic than urban camping [if that makes any sense!]

Room Tip: Get to know the owner, Raffi. He's an awesome guy.