“Nice backpacker vibe!”

Florentine Hostel
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Nice backpacker vibe!”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

The staff is very friendly and the atmosphere is relaxed and chilled out! On the roof terrace you can meet fellow travelers or just read your book, play guitar or sleep.
On arrival you might think it is a dodgy neighborhood, but once your in it is great!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oakland, California
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I will be honest, I was a tad sketched out upon my arrival to Florentine Hostel. I arrived late in the evening and everything in the surrounding neighborhood was closed. However, upon being buzzed in and climbing up the stairs, I was greeted half way by Natalie. Natalie was prompt and efficient at checking us in (and we were SO exhausted that we really appreciated her help). All of my worries about the neighborhood were soon laid to rest as I got to know the staff, other guests, and realized that this neighborhood had spunk and an artsy feel.

On my second day at Florentine, Rafi (the owner) and the other staff put together a modest, but nice Shabbat dinner. All of the guests shared food, wine (and other drinks!), laughs and company. I was fortunate enough to meet Rafi and one of his staff, Assaf, who invited me out. I had a fabulous time joining the "locals" at one of the strangest, yet coolest clubs I have ever been to. It used to be called Penguin (and I guess everyone still knows it by that name, but it does actually have a different name). Having the opportunity to befriend the other wonderful hostel guest, the hostel volunteers, and the staff (special shout out to Assaf for keeping me entertained and making great activity recommendations!), made my stay in Tel Aviv wonderful.

On to the real details:
The beds and amenities downstairs are definitely worth their (inexpensive) price. The linens, bathrooms and rooms were all clean, and the AC was a huge help. The access to the computers (both upstairs and downstairs) were a huge help when I was having trouble connecting to the wifi.

The sell water and large beers at very reasonable prices. So really, what more could you ask for?

The terrace is cozy and available to sleep on if, like me, you didn't book a room until the last minute because you decided to extend your stay and all other rooms were booked. There is a hostel volunteer around at all times to make sure everyone and their belongings are safe. I really, REALLY appreciated this.

Tip: stay downstairs if you can.

Hope to visit you all again soon!

-Ashley

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Hammersmith, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The quality of the room itself was completely unexpected from the fairly shabby exterior and hallway when we arrived, as it was beautifully decorated to a high standard and looked very new. We had a private double room with bathroom which was more like hotel quality but the dorms were of a similar spec and shared areas were very clean and well kept. The hostel has a brilliant roof terrace full of sofas, hammocks and cushions as well as free wifi, a kitchen and separate air conditioned living room on the first floor. Rafi and Assaf were hugely welcoming and knew everyone's names.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

Place has a great atmosphere, rooftop terrace is fantastic. for a solo traveller it's really easy to meet other people and always cool people staying, room was a bit hot during the night but after spending time in other hostels around tel aviv I can say this hostel is the best. I felt some of the volunteers were quite snobby and disinterested

• Stayed August 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We arrived at the hostel and I was a little anxious given that the area seemed a little run down. Once inside the hostel we were greeted by a staff member who was very welcoming and friendly. The rooftop terrace is amazing and almost makes the whole stay worth it. There are kitchen facilities and a computer which you can use for free. The wifi also works perfectly upstairs in the terrace and kitchen area. There are only two shower rooms for a lot of guests to share which meant that they were in quite a state when I got there. In fact, the clothes I had taken off to shower in there caught the smell and made my whole suitcase smell like it! This, I can only assume was a once of bad smell exception!

I had read about some issues travelers had with the dorm rooms so given that it was just one night we opted to stay in a private room. This was very clean and comfortable comfortable with air conditioning.

The hostel is very small with quite the number of guests which makes it perfect for particular types of travelers but trying for others.

My big qualm with this hostel is that it is definitely overpriced. During my 2 week stay in the country we paid less for far better hostels.

Room Tip: My experience is based on private room not dorm room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed July 16, 2012

If you look at the fridge or one of the doors, you will see Indian rupee notes stapled there. I am responsible for that.

I spent almost seven days at the Florentine hostel and met a crazy, fun, interesting and really nice bunch of people that seemed like travel companions that I had known for ages.

The guy who runs the hostel, Rafi, is super fun and no-nonsense. What this means for you as a visitor is that you will be entertained, but that you will also not be bothered by other guests cause Rafi lays strict ground rules about noise, partying and the like.

When I visit Tel Aviv again, I will be sure to stay in this hostel and in no other place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Auckland
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Excellent hostel... While I've stayed in better in terms of new facilities etc this one has the best social atmosphere I've ever experienced....within seconds you will be friends with everyone. The staff are pretty wonderful too and you can be assured it is well cleaned....the owner is even more OCD than I am and fumagates the place monthly for bed bugs etc. on the off chance they got in and is constantly steam cleaning things! Make sure you cover yourself with mosquito repellent if you are sleeping on the deck though :)

Room Tip: middle room between hall and lounge only has a fan and can get super hot in the morning
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo