“the most amazing experience ever”
Review of Florentine Hostel

Florentine Hostel
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I had the most amazing experience in this hostel, the staff was lovely and relaxed, extremely clean and great service, Rafi was an amazing host , hope to see you again soon and hopefully volunteer in the future! had the best time ever

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed March 13, 2012

We stayed there 4 Nights and we couldnt really enjoy our stay. Dorms are too small. No space at all for bags..and even moving in the rooms was complicated. The hostel is kind of well located..the area is upcomming..a little bit [--] up but u can find some nice bars And Restaurants..even though its loud and dirty. The Hostel only has 2 showers..which is not enough for at least 20 People. The terrace is nice..good view but all in all you really have to like the hippielifestyle. If u travel to get to know people its maybe a good place to go - but the guy who owns the hostel seemed to be a little bit too interested into some of his female guests. Wouldnt go there again!

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Iszukurz
Reviewed November 21, 2011

We were on a short holiday in Tel Aviv and treated ourselves to quite a posh hotel, however, as our flight home was delayed by 24hrs we had to find something a little bit cheaper for the last night! We decided to stay at Florentine Hostel and it was great! The room was really clean and the roof terrace is very chilled. They make sure there is no noise in the bedroom area after around midnight and it is a short walk to lots of bars, resturants and the beach. It is also a very short walk to Jaffa which has pretty bars,resturants and great views of the city. The people who run it obviously put a lot of hard work into it. It is obviously not as posh as the hotel we stayed in before that but for the price and the atmosphere I gave it as good a rating. I have stayed in a lot of hostels during my travelling days and this is one of the best. Made me want to go backpacking again!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda018
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I did enjoy my stay here, however, would not want to stay for longer than a couple of nights. The rooms are fairly cramped with bunks shoved next to each other to maximise space. Not necessarily a problem, just be aware.
The hostel location is pretty good for the nicest beach in Tel Aviv (in my opinion) - Charles Clore Park. But it's not a great location for the major beaches, Rothschild, Allenby etc.
The staff here are ok - but there was one guy who was a bit unfriendly. This isn't by any means a party hostel,but they do like to play loud music until pretty late. There's also only 2 showers for everyone in the hostel. But, this is one of the cheapest hostels in T.A, so good value and spotlessly clean.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank NJ26
Reviewed October 28, 2011

For the right type of person this hostel would be perfect. If you are not this right type of person, the experience can be trying. For starters, it is located in the warehouse district of Tel Aviv. I know it's supposed to be eclectic and trendy, but it just came off as dirty and annoying. Second of all, if you are not 18-23 years old, do not stay here. This is not the right place for you. That is not to say that this is party hostel, in my 4 days there the guests were fairly quiet. The management has a rule about no music after midnight.

I guess the best way to sum it up is to say it is extremely informal. It is a small space with a lot of people. The rooftop terrace is great. It is not always easy to tell who is on duty or when the office is open, but once you learn where everything is, it is low hassle. The other backpackers were a little young for my tastes and there is a age rule, 18-40 years olds only. The staff was always helpful. The facilities were clean and adequate. The big dorm room was comfortable and quiet. If I was 18 I would never stay anywhere else in Tel Aviv.

Room Tip: bottom bunks are better. There is not a lot of headroom in the top bunk
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 24, 2011

My views on this hostel are very mixed. It's not that it was good or bad, it's just that there are factors to consider.

When I first got here I didn't like it at all. It was fairly far away from central Tel Aviv compared to other hostels, and the area looked very run down. I wanted to stay an extra night in Jerusalem, so I phoned the hostel about a week before I arrived telling them that I wanted to arrive a day later (I was even happy to pay for the night I had cancelled). I got a pretty rude response, saying 'Ok, this is a lot of extra work for me, you had better stick to this new date now.' from Rafi, the owner. I thought this was unusual because it's fairly common for backpackers to change their dates around.

When I arrived, at around lunchtime, no one was in at reception so I couldn't get into the hostel. Because my phone didn't work in Israel I had to wait outside till another backpacker came and pressed the code. When I got inside I thought it was pretty basic, and small for the number of people staying there (around 20-30). I phoned Rafi after another backpacker kindly let me use his Israeli mobile phone. I asked where I should put my stuff, because I had to go and meet a friend of mine. I got, again, quite a rude response, as if I was asking a really stupid question.

When I arrived later that evening, I was tired and just wanted a bed and that's about it really. But unfortunately the attitude still continued. I was greeted with Rafi, the owner, saying to me 'Oh, you seem like a funny person don't you?' I was tired, in a new city, and just didn't need the hassle. It was rude of him to say that, I've not been called a 'funny person' often in my life, but obviously he thought it was his place to say it. It made me feel really unwelcome and uncomfortable.

The next major problem was that I was allocated a top bunk in the female dorm - BEWARE - the ceiling is only about 30 cm away from the mattress! It was ridiculous! During my time at this hostel I heard pretty much every single guest who stayed in a top bunk bump their heads in the middle of the night! When I climbed to the top bunk, I couldn't even put new sheets onto it, because I couldn't even sit up straight in the bed, in fact there was such little space I could barely climb into the bed on all fours. If you stay here, make sure you get a bottom bunk. A lot of guests who were allocated top bunks were unhappy, but didn't say anything to the owner.

Because I couldn't even sit up, I asked if I could maybe sleep outside. So was allocated a mattress on the roof terrace. Well, there was an all night party going on. I lay out there for an hour or so, trying to sleep but actually listening to bad house music and a rivetting (being sarcastic here) conversation with a bunch of French, German and American men discussing what nationality of girls is the best to f*** (as they so politely put it). It was pretty depressing to listen to. By this point I was getting really exhausted, so I said to the guy at reception 'I couldn't even sit up in my bed, that's why I'm now sleeping outside. I paid for a bed, and a bed means something you can at least get into with comfort and sit up in. If I'd known the conditions were like this, I simply would have booked another hostel.' This is when I started to get somewhere. He found me a pretty comfortable bottom bunk bed in the mixed dorm. If he hadn't, I would've found another hostel. I had a good night's rest in there. But I realised that throughout my stay I was frequently bitten in bed by something, and a lot of my fellow travellers said the same. We were all very itchy everywhere, and thought there may be bed bugs, I can't verify that 100% though.

There were only two bathrooms for dozens of guests. So you had to queue for a while to get in there. Also, if you don't have a laptop (for which there is very good free wifi), forget using the internet. There is a computer, where you can use the internet totally free, which is great. Only it's exceptionally rare you get on it, because there's so much competition to get on it.

Now for the good bits - it attracts a interesting crowd. Now you do get some weird people here like in every hostel, but there are also some really lovely people staying here, and that's what made this place bearable, even good, for me. The friends I made here were lovely people and we have since stayed in touch. We had some really good times together, because this place is only a ten minute walk from the beach, and there are some great bars here. In fact, there is an excellent shisha bar just on the corner of Eilat Street on the way to the beach, we hung out there every night. In the end I didn't want to leave here, but not because of this hostel, because it is a good location to have fun, it's next to Jaffa, the beach, and some nice bars, and I made some really wonderful friends who I spent my days in Tel Aviv with.

All in all I would not stay here again. As a sole female traveller I felt unwelcome. The staff consists of three guys, and the owner was not that great towards me when I first arrived. I guess first impressions and manners count. It's certainly not a bad hostel - it's clean and basic, but really, I would find somewhere better.

Room Tip: There are two dorms - 5 bed female, and 10 or 12 bed mixed. Decide which one's best for you, and...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Sum1_from_London
Reviewed September 9, 2011

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this place but it doesn't shine like a lot of the backpackers hostels that have sprung up around the world in resent years. The friendly staff, free wi-fi and roof terrace are all plus factors but on basics like security, price location and cleanliness it is firmly average. The kitchen is y for the number of people and not particularly well equipped.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo