“Good hotel but VERY! small rooms”

Brown TLV Urban Hotel
Ranked #18 of 102 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We live in Northern Israel and decided to spend 1 night in Tel Aviv.
After checking the reviews and prices of many of the boutique hotels in the area we chose the Brown - best location, warm and cozy and the price was a bit less than other similar hotels (The Rothschild, Diaghilev, Townhouse, Berdichevsky etc.)
Pros - the hotel is warm, good location, parking available, breakfast served in 3 different good cafe's in the area, great tea + coffee + cookies in the lobby
Cons - VERY small rooms. We got room 201. We travel a lot and never stayed in such a small room. It wasn't comfortable, no place to put even the small luggage. If you stay at this hotel - just verify you don't get one of those small rooms. Those room are well overpriced for what you get !
Other than this - I recommend this hotel, but choose a bigger room.

Room Tip: Upgrade for a bigger room. The basic ones are too small.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementBrownTLV, Guest Relations Manager at Brown TLV Urban Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

Dear Haifa_traveler,

Thank you for your review.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our wonderful location, warm atmosphere, service and breakfast choises and especially for recomending us to other travelers.

We were sorry to hear that you weren't content with the size of your room. Our bedrooms are urban in size and are meant to be a quiet relaxing retreat with the rest of our public areas functioning as our guests' living room. As you rightly pointed out we also have larger rooms which we will be happy to reserve for you on your future stays.

We look forward to welcome you back soon.

Brown TLV

Write a ReviewReviews (1,153)

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I had never seen or heard any mention of this property until I heard the hotelier interviewed on an American travel radio show (Rudy Maxa). Regrettably, I forget the hotelier's name but his enthusiasm and attitude immediately directed me to their website.

I'm usually very cynical against anything portrayed as hip, artsy, cool, edgy, the like. This hotel manages to strike a very cool vibe without being over the top or pretentious. Immediately upon entering the building, you're greeted by a lobby that looks like a library/loft apartment rather than a cavern with a front desk. My check-in took place at a sit down desk across from two hotel associates. It was relaxed and casual which was a welcome counterbalance to enduring El Al security. The subdued lighting, mirrored elevators, and general decor let you know that they like to have fun.

Yes, the rooms are small, even to the point where staff offer the option to store your empty luggage outside the room. I had enough space and barely an inch more. My room, 103, was a solo room set aside for single occupancy. Unless a smaller room really bothers you, don't let this be a deal breaker. Everything about the room was spot on. Locks: secure. Shower: hot and plentiful. Toiletries: higher end. Bed: newer and clean with no bugs. Electronics and fixtures: All working fine. Comped bottle of wine: Yes!

Location is ideal. Just a short walk brings you to Tel Aviv's beachfront, Rothschild Boulevard, an "AM/PM" supermarket, and a huge street market where you can stock up on snacks and personal products. It was great seeing about a dozen guys with surfboards paddling out into the Mediterranean which was as calm and flat as a coffee table. Good luck catching that curl, fellas! When you venture out on foot, make sure you take notice of the surrounding streets. This hotel sits within some bizarrely angled streets surrounded by equally tall buildings. You can get disoriented easily without a map, compass, or an "I-Sound-Muffled phone" with GPS.

I initially believed the view from the rooftop bar would be disappointing but I was completely wrong. Grab a stool on the west side and catch a view of the high rise buildings of Tel Aviv, the surrounding neighborhood, and the edge of the sea. The bartender was friendly and recommended the local Goldstar Lager. It was nearly empty when I visited. I can imagine it would be fun when it's hopping.

Overall, yes, check out the Brown TLV. Have some fun, enjoy the view and save some substantial cash over the beachfront resorts. I hope this region remains peaceful and prosperous.

Room Tip: Some rooms view the street, others view a parking garage.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
ManagementBrownTLV, Guest Relations Manager at Brown TLV Urban Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear 285Hryvnia,

Thank you for your great review.
The hotelier you heard on Rudy's show was the Brown TLV's owner Leon Avigad. We are extreamly happy that you felt how passionately he feels about the hotel and even more that you got to experience first hand all that he was talking about.

We were very content that you enjoyed your stay with us and were pleased with your room, our roof top bar and our wonderfull location.
As Rudy mentioned, Tel Aviv is a vibrant city and we hope you had the chance to experience as much of it as possible.

We look forward welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

....that count. Brown Hotel TLV was absolutely the best alternative to staying in one of the monster hotels that line the seafront. First of all, being that you're in the city, you get a much better feel for Tel Aviv. You're still a short walk from the beach, but because the hotel is located right next to the Carmel market, you get to enjoy the vibrancy of urban Tel Aviv which for me, is much more interesting than the beach. The marketplace is full of loads of little wonders - esp on Tuesdays when there's an artists market 2 minutes away from the hotel. Make sure to check out the Little Prince cafe, fabulous little bohemian bar with books lining the shelves. I loved the fact that if you stay at the brown you get to eat breakfast in an actual restaurant (you choose from 3) instead of a boring hotel dining room. The staff are dead friendly without being in-your-face and there are tons of little extras that made my stay there that much more special. The free coffee and yummy cookies served 24 hours in the lobby, the champagne, the wine when I walked in, the chocolates and wine in the room. And I took a bike from them so I was getting around the city like a local. The hotel is decked out in cool, avant-gardish brown and green decor and there's an awesome rooftop terrace bar. I also had a massage which was literally the best massage I've ever had (and I've had a lot of massages in a lot of hotels). Ask for the Russian guy. As some people mentioned here, the regular rooms are small (I think you can ask for a bigger one) but it didn't bother me. I still had enough room to spread out all my stuff. And the beds were way more comfortable than other hotels (I've stayed in the Dan Tel Aviv where the beds were much less comfy). All in all, a fantastic choice for an urban stay and a much better alternative than most of the corporate and impersonal hotel chains.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Ray W,

Thank you for your wonderful review.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel and that you were able to experience the city and our cool surroundings as a local.

We are very pleased to hear that you had the chance of enjoying our spa treatments, bicycles and breakfast options.
We do our very best to make sure our guests get only the best quality products and amenities. We thank you for noticing the little touches.

Hopefully we will see you back soon.

Guest relations Manager

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I was incredibly impressed with the Brown Hotel. When I arrived, I was offered a glass of proseco. My room had a bottle of wine, two bottles of water and a box of very delicious chocolates made by a local. The staff was really great, especially Ruth (I think her name was Ruth). She made reservations for all the restaurants I wanted to eat at while I was there and always provided a card with the name of the restaurant and its address. Since I didn't know the area and I was alone, she also provided recommendations of where I can go after dinner. On the ground floor there is an area where they always offer free coffee, tea, fruit and cookies. The location was great. It was an easy walk for me to get down to the sea where there is a boardwalk that allows you to walk along the coast. Or a very short walk to the street art market (e.g. 5 min walk). After I ate at Rafael, rather than taking a taxi back I walked back and it was great. The only thing i was disappointed with was their breakfast. I stayed at a couple of other hotels while I was visiting different areas and they offered the big breakfast buffets. At Brown, you can go to this small cafe where you get a very limited choice for breakfast. The food was good but much prefer the buffet. I did appreciate the leather booklet they had in the room providing suggestions for siteseeing as well as a list of restaurants. All the restaurants I ate while I stayed at the Brown was from this booklet.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
ManagementBrownTLV, Guest Relations Manager at Brown TLV Urban Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Dear Naomi0301,

Thank you for your lovely review.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the recommendations of our concierge team were helpful and assisted in planning your vacation.

Our breakfast is indeed served in three cafes in the hotel's surroundings where our guests can choose any of the breakfasts in the menu. I am sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your breakfast. On your next visit you are welcome to choose one of the other two cafes and although it won't be a buffet, we hope you will find a wider menu choise.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We just returned from having spent four nights at the Brown TLV, and we loved every minute of our stay. We’d made our reservations months ago, and in view of recent events in Israel we almost cancelled our trip a week before we were to depart. I called the hotel, and was reassured by Rebecka that life in Tel Aviv had returned to normal, and that we should still consider coming. Rebecka was absolutely right, and we’re so glad that we decided to visit this amazing, energetic, and welcoming city. The Brown TLV has an ideal location which makes it easy to get anywhere in Tel Aviv. Our room, a deluxe, was well appointed, clean, and lovely. The rooftop bar is a perfect place to end one’s day in Tel Aviv. We particularly enjoyed its relaxed sophistication, and the respite it provided from the hubbub of busy Tel Aviv below. The bartender, Paz, not only makes a good cocktail, but he is also a fount of information about Tel Aviv. Every member of the Brown’s staff, in fact, is a gem, and Rebecka, Su, and Ilan went out of their way to share the best of their city with us, and to make sure that our stay there was both easy and memorable.

It’s clear that the hotel’s owners and general manager have put together a great team, one that cares deeply for the hotel and its guests, and that even the smallest of details matter to them all. The Brown TLV is a delight, and I recommend it highly.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementBrownTLV, Guest Relations Manager at Brown TLV Urban Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Dear PDX-World,

Thank you for your wonderful review.

We are very happy that you decided to come to Tel Aviv and experience this great city.

We appreciate your kind words about our staff. Each one of them is indeed a gem and does his/her outmost to assist and provide great recommendations for our guests.
All of them are local Tel Avivians who know and love the city and are encouraged to provide their own personal references.

We are glad that you liked your room and that you found the roof top bar to be a good way to finish the day. We invite you to visit us soon and experience our upcoming winter bar.

We look forward welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Brown staff made sure my first trip to Tel Aviv was everything I wanted it to be. I could not have done that without them. Ideal location, lovely place to simply be, highly knowledgeable and supportive-but-not-intrusive staff, and bikes, too.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
ManagementBrownTLV, Guest Relations Manager at Brown TLV Urban Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

Dear Diane W,

Thank you for your great review.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that that we managed to make your Tel-Aviv visit a great one.

We are glad that you found our location useful and our staff to be knowledgeable and supportive.

We look forward welcoming you back in the near future.

With Kind regards,

Guest relations Manager

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Browns has a lot going for it, good location near Neve Zedek, Carmel Market, Allenby a very trendy roof terrace, great living room lobby, helpful and friendly staff. Its main problem is that the rooms are very small so its OK for a couple of nights but if you need to spread your stuff out for longer go for somewhere with a bit more room

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JonKalisch
ManagementBrownTLV, Guest Relations Manager at Brown TLV Urban Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear JonKalisch,

Thank you for your review.

We are happy to hear that you found our location convenient. It is indeed very close to many shopping and cultural centers in town.

We are also glad that you enjoyed our roof terrace, living room and our lovely staff.

As you rightly pointed out, our classic rooms are urban in size and perfectly suited for couples but if you wish to stay for a longer period we indeed recommend reserving one of our larger rooms (Relax/Deluxe). We will be happy to reserve one of these rooms for you on your future stay.

We hope to welcome you back soon.