“Convenient for the business park in which it is located, but little else.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Leonardo Boutique Hotel Tel Aviv

Leonardo Boutique Hotel Tel Aviv
Ranked #41 of 98 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Fleet, United Kingdom
“Convenient for the business park in which it is located, but little else.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

I travelled on business in early November, staying 5 nights. The weather at the time was lovely - about 30°C and sunny.

The first thing to say is that construction work was/is going on on 2 sides of the hotel. On the left a new building is being constructed, and they are just doing the foundations. On a huge site covering the rear of the hotel, earthmovers are arriving and leaving from early in the day to prepare the site for...probably more large buildings. I don't know, I can't read Hebrew.

Once inside the hotel reception, everything is pleasant enough and English is spoken. Check-in was without drama. The rooms are functional and clean. I was on the 8th floor, with great views of the building site at the rear, although to be fair there were other things to see. It's too far from the beach to be able to see the sea.

Best thing about the room was the bed, a king-size jobby with nice firm mattress and good pillows. But as with many hotels nowadays, only a thick duvet was offered, despite the fact that it was 30 degrees C outside. I looked around for a sheet and thin blanket, but there was none. So I did the usual trick of taking the duvet cover off and using that. Every morning, the cleaning staff put my duvet back in its cover and I took it out again.

Bathroom was clean, shower worked, but the water pressure was low. Toiletries were provided, but each day I got a DIFFERENT random collection of grey tubes containing shampoo, lotion, conditioner, etc. One nice touch was a digital weighing scales.

Being the "Leonardo" hotel, every room had some Da Vinci motif, and mine was a recreation of one of the great man's madonnas where a bed headboard would be, with her eyes cast downward benignly smiling at the sleeper. Kinda weird, but I slept well. Until the construction work started early in the morning.

I think the hotel faces south, so my room at the back faced north. The blackout curtain was therefore not really tested, but I have no complaints about stray light getting in.

Internet was via wi-fi (extra charge). Connection speed is good and I had no problems using it, ONCE I got online. A password is provided at check-in time, and seems to be different for every room. It took so long from choosing the hotel's wifi network until the time I was able to enter these credentials in a browser that I called reception. A techie called me back within a few minutes, by which time the browser had responded. Like I say, once connected, bandwidth was good.

Breakfast was interesting. Much variety, but I didn't recognise much of it, and kept to the safe choices of fruit (not an inspired bowl of fruit salad), muesli or smoked salmon and cream cheese bagels (I've had better in Brick Lane).

Service in the breakfast room was surly at times, with enquiries about lack of coffee cups or glasses met with grunts, and in some cases staff just walked away.

I did not try the restaurant. There is a shuttle service to various places available - free of charge it seems. I took their shuttle to the beach. In fact there were only two of us and the shuttle consisted of a taxi instead of a mini-bus. Even better!

Checkout was simple and quick. The bill is presented to you in US Dollars. They had not tried to stitch me up with anything taken from the mini-bar as some places do. The internet charge ($78 for 5 nights) was removed corrected, as arranged with my employer, so I was happy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not overlooking a building site.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
FattalM, Public Relations Manager at Leonardo Boutique Hotel Tel Aviv, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write down your constructive comments regarding your stay at the Leonardo boutique hotel.
We would like to apologize for any inconvenience that has occurred during your stay with us.

The hotel provides thin blankets on demand, we were pleased to switch the blanket for you.
Maintenance staff handles all day at the hotel and guest requests.
I regret to hear about the service at breakfast, Food and Beverage team are all the time to training and improve service
Glad to know the fault of the Internet was handled quickly and efficiently

Guest's satisfaction is something which is taken seriously.

We hope that you will choose to give the Leonardo boutique Hotel another chance upon your next visit to Tel Aviv, we would be very happy to see you visit us again very soon and to provide you with a rewarding experience

Galit Cohen Kapon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Hebrew first
jerusalem
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The vacation was short but pleasant.
advantage:
the staff were very helpful and efficient.
the rooms very clean and comfortable.
the food very tasty, lot of restaurants in the area
Disadvantage:
location - too far from tel aviv
no balcony in the rooms

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Marlboro, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on 3 different business travels.
I love the breakfast buffet.
The room is comfortable and the design is interesting.
The business lounge on the 9th floor is a great "extra".
Whoever likes jogging would enjoy the proximity to the park.

Internet price is a bit high and there is no parking. The paid lot behind the hotel is expensive so I park on Raul Volenberg.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

I picked this hotel because they were the only reasonably priced hotel within any reasonable distance of the City of Tel Aviv. We paid $270 USD per night, which in the US would yield you a top-notch quality hotel room almost anywhere in the US.

This place looks nice and has a decent breakfast, but that's about as good as it gets.

The reason why I'm leaving this hotel such an awful review because they have continually failed time and time again to deliver on their own commitments as a hotel. First, we booked a three adult room and ended up getting to the room to only one bed, when two beds were clearly ordered. Secondly, on the second day of the stay, we left the room at 8am and came back at 7pm to the room not having been turned over, at all. This is simply unacceptable. Once they came to 'clean' our room, they basically did nothing but swap the towels and rinse the shower.

The truth is, if you want anything to get done at this hotel, you have to complain. But don't expect to be treated well with quality hospitality. They always seem to apologize and find an excuse, however, as a hotel of this level, they should be responsible for preventing people from even having to complain.

Oh, and this hotel's lobby has more cologne pumped into the air than the Venetian in Vegas. Absolutely horrendous. The bell boys were helpful and quick, but that's about as good as the service gets.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
FattalM, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Boutique Hotel Tel Aviv, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear guest
Thank you for taking the time to write down your constructive comments regarding your stay at the Leonardo boutique hotel .

To get a room with twin beds need to ask for it, most hotel beds are double beds,
and if the room was not to your satisfaction you may request to be moved to different room.
Housekeeping staff are constantly training to improve service, Sorry that your room not cleaned properly.
Household staff is on 24 hours, you can always request a service
The P.R Manager are train the employees to deal with complaints, and she is all the time for hotel guests
The hotel design include the smell ta the lobby, sorry you do not like the smell but it's personal taste

Sincerely
Galit Cohen Kapon
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Rehovot was not on our itinerary but when Hurricane Sandy forced us to find a room we landed here. Using room key to ascend in elevator is a pain but adds security. Location in Tech area of Rehovot so couldn't compete with Tel Aviv beach. Adequate breakfast. Room was not large but used space very efficiently and had nice modern decor. Very clean. Separate small bathrooms with separate sinks; one with wonderful shower, the other with toilet. Best of all the very friendly and helpful staff. One more thing, super convenient train station across plaza and easy 30 minute trip to Tel Aviv.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I spent a week here on business recently and this seemed to be only hotel in the area of town I was meeting with my client so I stayed here. Overall the experience was average, but I'm a hotel snob. That said, I'll start with the good:

+ the queen size bed was comfortable. Nice mattress (good balance between firm/soft), down pillows, and comforter.
+ the breakfast buffet was high quality and had a nice variety of meats, fruits, cereals, egg dishes, breads, and an omelet chef. It was also reasonably priced. A tip here - the buffet it a lot of food - if you want something small there are a few cafes within walking distance of the hotel. I enjoyed both.
+ there are a number of cafes and restaurants in walking distance. There's also a chocolate bar up to street which my colleague really enjoyed.
+ there's a (small) fitness center in the building and a running park behind the buildings across from the hotel. The park had a family-friendly, safe feeling to it.
+ good quality soaps, shampoo, lotions, etc. if you care about such things.

And now the not so great:
- CONSTRUCTION: every weekday (in Tel Aviv that's Sunday - Thurs) I was awakened at 7am by the loud sounds of the large construction project next to the building. Not something the hotel has control over but until this is complete I would recommend specifically asking for a room on the other side of the building.
- The floors in the hall and rooms are a rough black, lacquered material which is uncomfortable to walk on. There are slippers in the room, but they would only fit someone with a small foot. The other unfortunate side-effect of this material is that it doesn't absorb sound so you here every noise outside the room.
- My room was an adjoining room which normally wouldn't have bothered me, except again because of the flooring and door materials, you can every word, ahem sound, from the room next to you. My last night was the worst with 4 or 5 guys talking loudly and laughing until very late. I recommend unless you need the adjoining room you specifically request NOT to have it.
- The hotel lobby and business center use an overwhelming amount of cologne in the ventilation system. It literally smells like an Abercrombie store. I couldn't stand it for more than a couple minutes at a time.
- The location of the hotel was good for my business trip, but this isn't a good location for Tel Aviv itself. It's quite a distance from city center and the beach. A taxi ride to the beach was 50-70 NIS depending on traffic and where on the beach you go.
- I didn't care for the style of hotel, but I'll give them credit for trying to be different than the usual bland hotel decor.

If you want to stay in this area it's a reasonable choice and maybe the only choice. Personally, on my next trip I think I'll choose to stay in the city center or beach and commute to the office.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
FattalM, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Boutique Hotel Tel Aviv, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear sir
As specified to the hotel does not have control over the building site but soon it will be quieter
The hotel design include the black floor and the smell ta the lobby and business lounge
At your next staying here you could ask not to be next to a connecting door and ask for larger Slippers
The hotel provides a shuttle three times a day sea one-way on the hotel bill

Galit Cohen kapon
Newtown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

This is definitely one of the more unique hotels around Tel Aviv and marks a difference from the large hotel chain on the beach approach. The decor is basically black, offset with some white and grey - to the point that the floors ofbthemhotel rooms are industrial black 'carpet'.

That said, the room was very comfortable, featuring a sizable and comfy bed, work desk, storage area and a couple of chairs. Instead of a bath I had a massive shower with a large overhead rainforest type sprinkler, and room for at least 6 in the shower. There is a separate toilet area with a sliding smoked glass door and a well lit large sink between them.

The hotel offers a single restaurant downstairs, which provides a fabulous dairy breakfast that I would highly recommend. So make sure your room rate includes the breakfast. On the top floor is a business lounge with free tea, coffe, juice and a steady supply of snacks. There are also a few audio/video equipped PCs for guest use. Wifi is an add-on for about 50 shekels. Although there are quite a few restaurants nearby, including Italian, Japanese Sushi and basic Thai, you are at least 4 miles from downtown Tel Aviv and the beaches. Taxi fare is about 50 shekels to get to the beach, and 120 to get to the airport.

Several other guests in my group reported problems with noise from nearby construction and also room issues with broken furniture or plumbing. I didn't experience any issues. One final gotcha - there is no nearby parking if you drive so be prepared to park in a lot and pay.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Leonardo City Tower Hotel
Leonardo City Tower Hotel
#1 of 4 in Ramat Gan
West Boutique Hotel Tel Aviv

Been to Leonardo Boutique Hotel Tel Aviv? Share your experiences!