“Full of bedbugs!”

Old Jaffa Hostel
Paris, France
“Full of bedbugs!”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed in dorm and got more than 30 bites in one night. Thanks guys. So run away if you don't want to be covered in itchy spots!
Plus, the area is really noisy at night.
The only nice thing about this hostel is the roof top.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank L S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Tel Aviv is pretty expensive and this place is one of the better priced options. It's not cheap, but it is cheaper than elsewhere.

An effort in the decor has been made with the place, and there are lots of touches old jaffa in this cute old building, but it doesn't always pay off. I stayed in a B- class room. It was cute and had air con, but it was tiny - low ceiling and not much space to move around in. It did have a private bathroom and lots of hot water. I spotted one or two very small cockroaches though. the public spaces are very clean though as are the communal bathrooms and showers.

In the night it is very quiet but in the morning it was hard to lie in as my room was on the route to the rooftop and the noise of people moving around was loud.

The rooftop is very pleasant, the beach is not far and old Jaffa is right there. The location is excellent, I found the staff helpful and friendly and there is a telo-bike stand very close by.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I have stayed in many hostels/hotels in many different places but this is hands down the best place I've stayed in.
Tel aviv is an amazing place and staying here just made it that much more special.
The staff are great and really helpful when you need it. The location couldn't be better and the whole place is run in a way that experienced travelers would appreciate.
If you want a b class room try and get room 30 on the roof it's a great spot!

• Stayed June 2013
Blue Mountains National Park, Australia
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Location - couldn't be better! close to the market, close to the beach, in the heart of Jaffa (still easy to explore the rest of Tel aviv from there)!

Staff - the girl on the front desk (she said her mother owned or managed the place) was helpful understanding and all around friendly

Room - We stayed in room number 22. It was clean with plenty of natural light! the only thing was it faced the street and all the awesome bars close by were quite loud. I would recommend getting a room that DOESN'T FACE THE STREET if you are a light sleeper!

All in all, a good experience!

Room Tip: Room - We stayed in room number 22. It was clean with plenty of natural light! It had an air conditi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Bristol
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I stayed at the Old Jaffa Hostel recently and found the staff very unhelpful and unfriendly. The facilities are dirty and place is full of old dusty arteficial flowers! Its a real shame because the area its in is buzzing and really fun to hang out in. Get inside the hostel and you would think that someone had just died! - the lack of friendliness of the staff is the worst thing about the place.
Well the dorms are pretty horrendous too - youve got 12 beds jammed in to a small space. iAll the beds are so close together that if someone moves,not only in the bunk bed below you, but in the 2 bunks either side of you, you get disturbed!
On the last day they really messed up my cab booking and I ended up too late to get the train, so I had to get a cab all the way to the airport instead and only just had enough money to do it!
Just think, I could have used that money I wasted staying somewhere decent!
A real anti-climax to my otherwise great holiday in israel!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank FionaShakeelaBurns
Lisbon, Lisboa, Portugal
Reviewed May 24, 2013

The rrom given to me was a room with a round window, and the room was really, really small, very low ceiling and with lots of dust...and with special friends also!!! cockroaches!!!
The kitchen was on the roof top and at first glimpse it seeems like a good and crazy idea, after the fisrt dinner or breakfast, it looks just ridiculous and crazy. The open air kitchen with pots and pans catching dust, leafes, etc...my god...
I also catch the independence day and sleeping was impossible...in all rooms
Overall, very bad hostel, it serious cleaning problems...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Hugo M
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The hostel is in a great location with the flea market, bars, old jaffa and pretty close to the beach. The rooms, the rooftop and the house is very beautiful and tasteful.

We had a great private room cat. A. It was clean, but not "neat". The breakfast is ok, but as the say it is a "little breakfast".

BUT the first: it lacks of a warm heart. The family who runs the place and the staff are not very warm or chatty people. I don't need somebody to kiss my [--] and I totaly understand if somebody is stressed out, but I want to be treated fair. And that didn't happen in the 3 days we stayed there. We got an upgrade, we needed to pay for (we booked category c, got a and payed for cat. b). While we were staying there the air conditioner was changed, so 2 men hopped around in our room for two hours in the morning. I told the staff that it was my birthday and the first day we could sleep in since 7 days ... so maybe we could move the appointment a little bit - I got a stupid answer. I never heard the word sorry about the repairworks in our room.

On the website they say, they have a coin laundry, but in fact it's not not for guests. Every interaction with the reception ended in an insult. For example: We asked for the way to a supermarket, he drew the way on a map and I asked, if it's like a 10-minute-walk. Answer: "It depends how often you get lost." It wasn't meant as a joke.

BUT the second: Since it is in the middle of old jaffa it is loud. In the morning and at night.

BUT the third: They have a beautiful rooftop with flowers and couches. But you can't enjoy it because there is a pretty controlling woman living up there ... I guess she is a volunteer. She is bossy and gives you the feeling, you broke into her garden of eden. She controlles the chairs and the kitchen every 15 minutes ... relaxing is not possible!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends