“Location but that's about it.”
Review of Hashimi Hotel

Hashimi Hotel
Ranked #6 of 60 Jerusalem B&B and Inns
Maputo, Mozambique
“Location but that's about it.”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights in September 2012.

Pros: Location is fantastic for the old city. Relatively cheap. Roof terrace has a great view of the old city and gives an outlook that you cannot get from the street. Free Wifi.

Cons: Rooms are small and not well appointed – the furniture looks almost as old as the hotel and don’t plan on spending any time in the room except to sleep. Some stains on the bedding (but sheets and pillowcases were clean enough though a bit musty.) No lifts in the building.

Street noise mainly relating to the church matins and the mosque call to prayer was annoying, but the banging of doors in the hotel itself meant that I did not get much sleep on either night of my stay. We were upsold the breakfast for $5 per day but it was probably only worth $2. Bathroom is small, old and not as clean as I would prefer. There is no hot water in the washbasin so I had to shave in cold water.

Conclusion: If I had have known what the hotel was like beforehand I would have booked elsewhere – somewhere more modern at least. It served for a couple of nights but I did not want to stay there after I saw the room. I can say it was an experience and it was not all bad but if I am ever back in Jerusalem I will stay in a more modern place outside of the old city. The lack of restaurants in the area also meant that we ate dinner outside the old city.

Tips: There are not too many ATMs in the old city. Beware of “guides” showing you around – agree a price early on if he is with you for more than 5 minutes. Same goes for taxis used for long distances.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Johnny_Monkey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We recently stayed here with a group of 5. The locations is excellent and we really enjoyed staying in the old city. It was difficult to find initially but we just asked around and were able to get there easy enough, although lugging bags through the narrow streets was a bit of a challenge. We found the staff extremely helpful on all account. One of of three rooms had a minor issue with the shower and they swapped us rooms right away. The breakfast was really good each morning and a highlight was definitely the roof top patio where you could watch the sun come up over the old city. The rooms were nothing fancy but we had enough space and we were quite comfortable. Note that there is no elevator so you need to be okay with stairs. The staff helped us move all our bags into our rooms upon check in. Wi-fi worked well all over the hotel.

All in all, it was a very clean and simple hotel. We had great and very helpful experiences with all of the staff. Some areas were a bit run down but we were most comfortable and I would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MrsTL_S
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We were so looking forward to situating ourselves in the middle of the Old City in what (their website) promised to be a lovely hostel/hotel. Don't be fooled by the nice photos on their website. During our first night's stay, I awoke to the smell of cigarette smoke wafting in our window leading to the hallway from the bathroom. The second night we encountered an interesting shouting match between the rather scary and shouty owner/manager at the front desk, the police, and a tourist who claimed 80 euros had been stolen from her room. Yes, the view from the top of the place is lovely... but what is with all the faux wood up there? I was waiting for yogi bear to appear from behind one of the tacky wooden beams! We will not be returning...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Gerry G
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My main problem with this hotel was the attitude of the staff which seemed designed to make our stay as difficult as possible. I was there with a group of about 10 people and they couldn't seem to work out how many rooms we had booked or who went where. They made no attempt to help us and it wasn't a language problem; one of our number was Lebanese and another was Iraqi and spoke fluent Arabic. The room was scruffy and too expensive for what it was. I wouldn't be complaining if it was cheap. The breakfast ran out quickly. The only good things were the location and the roof terrace both of which were excellent but the hotel itself left a lot to be desired.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lynn2106
Cardiff
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights earlier this month with my wife and daughter. Initially felt a little indimidating walking from Damascus Gate to the hotel through throngs of people with bags in tow. However, it was fine.

Although the hotel is pitched as a hostel - I found the reception area very nice and quite modern and the staff were friendly as per previous reviews. We had a large room overlooking the Old City and the Dome of the Rock. Whatever shortcomings the hotel may have - everything is forgotten once you see the view. Fantastic. The terrace was larger than I thought and actually very quiet. A few evenings we bought our own food (asked for takeaway houmus etc) from a restaraunt a few doors away and took it up to the tearrce. Very nice - though of course no alcohol allowed.

Only one slight moan. We were there during Ramadan - so as it's Muslim owned there was no breakfast unless you wanted to get up at 4.30am. All for new experiences but not that desparate for breakfast. They also don't take credit cards so make sure you take plenty of cash.

All in all - I agree with previous reviews. Great location, great view - very romantic and awe inspiring in that respect, bit of a pain not allowing alcohol - but it didnt kill me for a few days, a liitle bit rough round the edges but for me (I'm a fussy 46 year old Brit) and my family it was spot on as a place to stay in Jerusalem.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank paulgarner2000
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Stayed with my family in a quad room in June 2011. Basic accommodation and a very basic breakfast. There's no lift so be prepared. The location definitely makes up for these minot issues.

Owners are very friendly people. Our room had the most beautiful view of the Dome of the Rock.

Located in the Old City, walking distance to Masjidul Aqsa. Prepare yourself for the uneven surfaces as the roads are very old (cobblestone), lots of steps, and some areas a bit steep.

Shops everywhere once you step out of the hotel.

Great view from the roof.

Will be back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I stayed at the Hashimi Hotel for one night with a friend and found
everything it offered ideal: Its central position in the old town, a
large, comfortable and clean room right underneath the roof garden
(with a stunning view of Temple Mount and the Dome on the Rocks) and
the lovely, shady roof garden itself offering an even more beautiful
view. Breakfast catered for local and international eating habits and
the service was discreet and polite. Good value for money, I would
say.

Room Tip: Enjoy the Old City of Jerusalem - and breakfast at the beautiful terrace view!