“homely” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 56 Jerusalem B&B and Inns
Johannesburg, South Africa
“homely”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

average hotel, but value for money. location within the old city.homely atmosphere.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank astech312578

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2011

We were so excited to be in Jerusalem we probably could have slept on the street. This is not what we heard is a typical place for tours. Palestinians stay here, which we considered a good thing. Our room was basic but comfortable enough (after we got it changed from our first assignment right next to the kitchen). It is right on the market street through Old City, so it is fun to roll the suticase through the market upon arrival and fun to pop out for some exotic snack. Breakfast on the roof deck was pretty great -- nice food, nice views, nice hostess. We had Arabic-speaking people with us -- that's probably a big plus.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a window on the external wall. Insist on what you want.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank splanknon
Fresh Meadows, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2011

The location of the property was ideal - right in the center of the old city. The staff, unfortunately, were far from ideal. Upon check-in we are asked to pay for the lodging in advance. The room charge was EU140.00 and I handed the manager EU150.00. The manager told me he did not have change, but that I would receive my EU10.00 later in the night. The room we were assigned was adequate, but discovering that the bed sheets had not been replaced from the previous guests was disturbing. We were assigned another room, but no room key could be located. We settled on a third room and hoped for the best.
Later in the evening, when I inquired about the EU10.00 owed to me, the manager said that he would have the money for me in the morning. Morning came and went. I guessed that stealing from their guests was standard policy at HaShimi Hotel. By the time of our check-out, and knowing that I had repeatly asked for my change, the manager reluctantly gave me coins in Euros and local currency. I believe that management should set the standard for customer service. The managemnet at HaShimi truly set
a new low in customer satisfaction.

Room Tip: avoid at all costs this property
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank cesarinnyc
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

Not wanting to sound too much like a Westerner expecting Western standards anywhere in the world, I neverthless need to add a somewhat different view on this hotel. A group of us stayed at the Hashimi Hotel and Hostel at the start and the end of a trip to the Holy Land. Though none of us expected nor needed four star accomodation we felt that our stays were not the highlight of our journey. The plus points were the friendliness of the service staff (not so much the reception), the convenient and interesting location and the fabulous and informative views from the roof terrace and the adequate breakfast. Our major complaints were about the quality of the rooms the hotel's very odd pricing policy. On the return stop my room mate and I paid quite a bit more for an inferior room than on the first stay a week before. The reason given was that the hotel prices were based on the dollar/shekel exchange rate, which must make the Hashimi the only hotel with fluctuating prices for their rooms, irrespective of what's on offer. We felt ripped off. The more expensive room we had on the final night was minute, with three beds crammed into it and absolutely no storage space whatsoever apart from some plastic coat hangers dangling from the television bracket. The coup de grace was the toilet right inside the minute shower cubicle. There were still long hairs from previous occupants. The room temperature was freezing with absolutely no hot air coming from the airconditioning system, no matter how much we tried. The door was so badly fitted, with half an inch gaps all around that we had bright light shining on us all night. Which also meant we heard every single person returning to their rooms banging their doors till late. Expect hostel standards and fluctuating prices.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank PhotographerLondon
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

I'd like to thank the owner - Saleh Hashimi and his staff for a wonderful stay at Hashimi hotel. We were a group of 3 ladies and they made us feel at home, safe and gave us great advise on what to see and where to eat. We stayed one night then came back 3 days later and stayed for 2 nights. Loved the roof top terrace and thank you Saleh for the delicious tea you gave us ---your hospitality made our trip even better! The location within the Old City was perfect...we parked our rental outside Damascus gate and maximized our time within the Old City. A few doors down from Hashimi hotel is a wonderful Arab restaurant Al Nazeer. Try the arabic salad and hummus....best in town! Thank you again for an unforgettable stay in Jerusalem! :)

Room Tip: Our first night was a shared female dorm-style. Since we were a group of 3, we paid just a little e...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank georgy b
Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

I am a wholly deaf solo traveller – on Monday 26th September 2011, I went to stay at the Hashimi Hotel and Hostel, Jerusalem Old City for 2 nights where I was able to explore in The Old City easily, including visiting some of my relatives in West Jerusalem for the evening dinner.

After I walked through the Damascus Gates, there were colourful markets in the Muslim Quarters before I arrived in the elegant Arabian style lobby area on the first floor at Hashimi Hotel and Hostel. A male receptionist and a male cleaner made me feel very welcome!

There’s an Internet Corner in the lobby area – either you pay for using the Internet on the public computer or free Wi-Fi if you bring your own laptop! And you can make yourself some coffee or tea in the lobby area! My small double room with a small en-suite should suit any single traveller better! It was very basic, but comfortable. At breakfast time (7am-9am), I had a good laugh when I discovered all the happy looking young guests and myself went to use the disposable paper plates, bowls, coffee/tea beakers, also plastic forks, knives and spoons for helping ourselves to some breakfast at the buffet! We could throw them away after eating our breakfast! I was not complaining, because I thought it was a good idea to save the water from washing up too often! I did not mind about that – it was fun! The members of the staff were around to provide more food to the breakfast buffet till 9am. I won’t forget about the friendly Arabian female serving the buffet breakfast with a lovely smile! You would love to sit on their roof top with a splendid view of The Old City, Dome of the Rock, Mount of Olives and the surroundings while having breakfast, or at anytime from the early morning to late at night – just bring your own non-alcoholic drinks to relax!

That hotel/hostel really suits any young travellers, as well as more mature people who are young at heart, with sense of humour like myself who are enjoying being independent! It’s in a good location in the Muslim Quarters with the markets and cafes next doors!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Deaf-Debo
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2011

We enjoyed staying at the Hashimi hotel. The staff are very friendly and the roof top deck provided a sanctuary for daily tea away from the hectic city. The location is perfect and the rooms are clean, but small.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple