“Decent but impersonal”
Review of Grand Court Hotel

Grand Court Hotel
Ranked #40 of 102 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed April 17, 2011

'A bit like a bus station' somebody said. This hotel caters largely for tour parties, and certainly coaches seem to come and go all the time. There is a very large reception area, though the number of staff available isn't always ideal.
Our views were clouded rather by arriving just before passover. We were surprised to find that dinner the first night (good choice of rather bland food) had to be taken off paper plates using plastic knives and forks. Only tap water was available to drink, and that from plastic cups! The bar was closed. Due to jewish laws, there was no bread or cereals available at breakfast, though again there was plenty of alternatives.
I must emphasise that this was a one-off (as was the removal of kettles for one night from bedrooms), but understandably a number of guests were baffled.
Rooms are fine, and there is a very efficient lift system, and the 6th floor pool - just about to open when we were there, looked pleasant, with a jacuzzi.
Several other big hotels are close by, and the walk to the old town takes little more than 10 minutes.
The hotel backs on to a busy main road. For a real eye-opener, cross this road and head into the back streets in the general direction of the main bus station. It's a different world!

• Stayed: April 2011

Reviewed April 16, 2011

Worst hotel experience ever:
- bathroom was not cleaned, full of hairs
- we were promised a late check-out but at day of departure we were told to leave at normal time
- money was stolen from our room. Security spend more time accusing us of setting up a scam than solving that issue, we were shocked how rude the hotel staff was after we told them what had happened.
- General Manager offered a free night stay after we had sent a complaint letter, but no thanks; we will better avoid that place in future!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2011

I travelled here after spending several days at the Grand Beach Hotel in Tel Aviv, booked all on Expedia coincidentally they were both Grand company hotels. Same owner. I enjoyed both and you can see my review of the Grand Beach in Tel Aviv. I generally avoid 4 star hotels because they tend to be impersonal, lack free amenities that I enjoy like free internet and parking and the food tends to be pricey. This was no exception to the costs of the internet and food was moderately priced but superb (dinner) Breakfast was free and awesome. As I said of the Grand Beach, I gained some weight despite all the walking in Israel. I enjoyed the breakfast buffet at the Grand Court and their options were better than that in Tel Aviv, although their buffet was great too.

The room was modern, spotless with a nice bathroom. I did see few ants in the bathroom (2 to be exact) but I dont know where they came from and that was it during my 4 day stay. I would definitely return again. They are a 15 minute walk from the Damascus Gate and/or Jaffa Gate. They advertise a shuttle (free) but I did not use. There is not really any food near the restaurant so I ate their buffet one night it was $34USD per person and very good. I thought it was well worth it. No stores near hotel, so you have to walk a few blocks and also the beds were a bit hard to me, but I passed out from the days activities and tiredness every night.

The area is East Jerusalem near the American Colony. There are shuttle buses that come to pick up guests for tours there and at the two adjacent hotels (olive tree and leonardo plaza). I would stay at Grand Court again. Clean Rooms, great free bkfast and close to old city. I definitely recommend a tour of the old city, Despite your faith be open minded and go see the Christian, Jewish and Muslim holy sites. People at the hotel were pleasant and helpful. The people of Jerusualem are very hospitable. The Grand Court is also 15 minutes walk through back streets to the downtown nightlife area, which to me unless you are 15-25 yrs old was quite juvenile. I did go to a bar that was quite nice with good food, but im 39 and felt like a senior citizen in there.

I also went to Bethlehem on a tour it was nice and good experience. I rented a car and drove to Jericho and the Dead Sea (Ein Gedi) very nice and about 1:15 minutes from the hotel very easy and nice roads, do not be scared to venture into the West Bank communities the people are very hospitable.

If interested in my tours see Bein Harim Tours. (spelling may be incorrect)

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 26, 2011

Me and my sister stayed at the Grand Court 2 nights this week.
We participated at the Jerusalem Maraton so we desided to use this reason to stay in Jerusalem and to make ourselves some vacation.
The hotel was great, we pampered ourselve with the deluxe suite which was phenomenal. circil shape with 4 large glass windows, it was a beautiful suite, very cozy and warm. The hotel was big and clean, very nice reception staffs. Dinner was was served in a large buffet, food was very good, mainly the salads.
We had a wonderful stay at this hotel,highly recomended.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 25, 2011

The hotel is a huge building in East Jerusalem, 10 mins walk from Damascus gate in the old city.
The hotel is perfect for groups, do not expect good service. Breakfast room is huge, noisy and crowded, quality of food is medium. No croissant for breakfast!
Service is totally impersonal. There is a good swimming pool on the 6th floor.
Checkin very slow and if you arrive when a group is checking in it is better if you be patient and wait hours before getting the room.
Room are big but standard, average cleanliness (the windows were dirty).

No free wifi and only a few PCs in the lobby.

It was generally ok but do not expect surprises. Perfect for groups in guided tours

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 15, 2011

The service was terrible,there are no kindness, no smile,few workers at the reception desk,. there are no POLITENESS !!! maybe they don't know the meaning of LOVE. They are interested only in our money. THEY DON'T CHANGE THE SHEET!!!! NO SOAP, OR SHAMPOO.
NEVER HAVE I SEEN SUCH A TERRIBLE PLACE TO STAY. I REALLY DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL EVEN TO MY ENEMIIES..

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank PORCADA
Reviewed March 9, 2011

This is a very large hotel whose architecture is reminiscent of a factory. The service offered is also impersonal and mass produced. The staff are morose, disinterested and ill mannered, with some exceptions, usually the younger the more friendly they are. The public reception areas are spacious, clean and bright. The hotel caters for large tour groups (I was a member of such a group) and so at arrival and departure times can be chaotic. The restaurant is enormous and very busy and noisy. The staff are harassed and tend to be disorganised, largely because the manager is over excitable and pushes them around. This means tables go uncleared, requests for water, tea, coffee are forgotten or slow to be completed. The food is unremarkable and unvaried. There is plenty of it and it is perfectly adequate, again in a massed produced style. Please note the remarks about the Sabbath so you are not surprised or disappointed at the more limited selection and by the slow cooking methods that mean food is overcooked and mushy. I found the bread among the better aspects and disliked most of the desserts which were often covered in artificial "cream". However, fresh and dried fruit was abundant which suited me. Wine and beer were available to purchase from a separate table and were not too expensive (about £3 for a bottle of Heiniken). The size of the restaurant meant that all meals were self service and there was no way you were allowed to dine in a relaxed and civilised manner. Tea/cofee was not served at the end of the meal but this could be purchased in the lounge/bar. I would agree that the shop could be avoided as every thing it sells can be bought more cheaply elsewhere.

The room was clean, spacious and fully furnished. The bed was comfortable but never once were the sheets tucked in! We were there four nights and did not have a change of sheets (but I wouldn't at home!) The toileries were limited and only one hand towel was available for two of us. There was a kettle but supplies have to be bought at the bar (15NIS) which seems cheeseparing. There was plentiful hot water at all hours. We looked over a busy and noisy main road and were woken at about 4am by the biblical sound of a cock crowing.

This hotel is convenient for most of the "sights"; within 15 minutes walk you are at the old city; there is a free shuttle bus and taxis are reasonable. There is not much tourist information/leaflets in the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011