“Only for a Low-cost holiday”
Review of Mount Scopus Hotel

Mount Scopus Hotel
Ranked #83 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
Pisa, Italy
“Only for a Low-cost holiday”
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I've been there together with a group of friends to spend some days visiting Jerusalem. The best advanatge of that hotel is the location on a hill, the panorama we saw from our window was really beautifull. The hotel is not far from the old city, just 15-20min walking or 5min by taxi (a little bot expansive). Down the hill there's also the possibility to take a collective taxi.
The hotel services are very basic, since the structure, the rooms, and so on, seem not to be updated since 60's. Our room was spacious and bright, with a big french door to access the panoramic balcony, but, the room was without airconditioning! This was not a particualry pitty for us, since during the day we were not in the hotel and in the evening the temperature got down, but if somenone decides to stay there in the hot hours it should be impossible to support to stay in the room. The bathroom was old and without airdryer.
The buffet dinner has a lot of dishes but of pour quality.
On the other hand the personnel has always been very friendly with us.
The hotel works a lot with groups of turists/pilgrims, so the saty here could be not so funny for alone-travellers.

Recommended only for a low cost holiday in Jerusalem.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank P5_IT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Our Israeli guide recommended this hotel to us, picked us up here and dropped us off here each day of our stay. We were on a budget and there were six of us family members to accommodate (three rooms). Plus we naturally needed to eat three meals a day somewhere while we took in the beautiful city which is Jerusalem. Our guide has been doing tours of Israel for 35+ years and worked us into experiences during our 10-day tour around the country which were most rewarding and had a behind-the-scenes feel. So, although the outer appearance of this hotel suffers from some of the criticisms others have mentioned (dated feel, some painting-over of lightswitch plates, things like that), I have to take issue most other criticisms and to set them straight.

First the idea of a surly staff: well, I accidently left my backpack in the lobby before a day's outing and there it was waiting for me on the credenza behind the front desk on my return and was smilingly handed to me by the young woman at the front desk on my return. The proprietor happily took my mail for mailing. Each night after dinner the waiter at the restaurant (food was included for two meals with the price) would politely ask what time we would like to take our breakfast the next morning, and, oh, would we like a pitcher or two of cold water to take with us to our room. I've never had this thoughtfulness extended at any other hotel anywhere I've traveled. The waitstaff in the dining room were very attentive to our needs, serving and clearing just when we were ready like they could read our minds. (The food was a reasonable mix for us of (good) hummus, Middle Eastern salads, pitas, and fairly American-style food actually for the main dishes (think fries and steamed carrots and peas and a main dish like schnitzel or breaded fish). Considering for a couple of nights we appeared to be the only guests in the hotel the breakfast buffet in particular was especially generous and complete - eggs, sausages, toast, coffee, tea, cold cereal, orange juice, yogurt, cheese, etc., etc. Felt a little guilty at the spoiling but hey someone has to be spoiled!

It wasn't long after we settled in after the first night that I made my peace with this place and saw past the poor paint job in the rooms to realize this place was a good (great?) fit for our family. I slept better here than in Tiberius at a higher-rated hotel and this despite the barking dog two nights that the hotel could obviously do nothing about. The beds were comfortable and had comfy backrests for reading. The outlets for charging phones, etc., worked (advise to bring an extension cord for multiple items to charge). The bathrooms were by far the newest/cleanest part of the hotel's accommodations and delivered plenty of hot water for a refreshing shower or bath; which goes a long way towards making a stay refreshing. Like the rooms they were spacious; every day fresh towels.

The lobby was also quite attractive, clean, and relatively updated.
Internet was available on not one but two PC's, one of which I am writing this review on. Connection speeds were good if the PCs themselves a little underpowered.

Finally, the views from the balconies were pretty sweet. Since this appears to not be a heavily-visited hotel you should be able to stay easily on a top floor and have one of the great views we had. The cab ride to Old Town is about $8/not bad.

For the price, seems like Mishi once again put us in just the right spot to maximize our time/$ spent. Thanks Mishi for this find!

Room Tip: Enjoyed our stay on three neighboring rooms on top (5th) floor.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank MatthewEmma
Ashern, Canada
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Me and my family really enjoyed accomodation in this hotel,the staff was very helpful and cooperative. I will be happy to book in this hotel in the future.I really recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank raad_mosses
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 30, 2010

I stayed here as part of a tour. It's a solid 20 minute walk to get to the Old City and there's really not much around.
My colleagues would maybe have rated this place a 3, but really I think it's a dump. My real reason for a poor review is the lack of cleanliness and surly desk staff. I could write my name in the dust on the desk in my room. There was hair on my towels in the bathroom. There was a bathing suit left by a prior guest in one of the dirty drawers. When I returned at the end of a day, the blankets were arranged neatly on the bed, but underneath the topsheet was thrown on haphazardly. Breakfast was cheese squares, Tang, and cheap bread. Internet is available only in the lobby (not in the room). The balcony light stays on all night lighting up the room. The guys behind the desk are crabby (a good example, there is a sign in the lobby proclaiming in large bold letters "NO STAMPS").

I was staying in Jerusalem longer and changed rooms. Check out my review of Christ Church Guest House.

Stayed December 2010

Travelers are raving about these Jerusalem hotels

London
Reviewed December 8, 2009

I stayed for 3 nights at the Mount Scopus Hotel in December, when it was beginning to get a bit cold at night - it would have been nice to have some heating, but the aircon unit didn't work at all reliably. As a result, my friend and I woke up needing a warm shower, but there was no hot water! We were part of group of 16, and everyone had suffered from the same problem.

The breakfast was fairly limited too - not as good as other hotels we stayed at.

• Stayed December 2009
UK
Reviewed August 17, 2009

I stayed at this hotel in August as part of a tour group to Jerusalem. They had 2 other groups there at the same time and were very good about putting on a late dinner for us when arrived and making sure breakfast was ready for our group's early departure.

As part of the package holiday, we found this hotel incredibly good value for money as it included breakfast and dinner. It's quite outdated with lots of 60s furniture, but it has everything you need. There is no fridge or hairdryer in the room, but we borrowed a hairdryer from reception and there is a little corner shop right next to the hotel where we bought cold drinks, water and snacks very cheaply.

There are fantastic views of the city from the lobby and the staff are all very friendly and helpful. It is in a very quiet residential location with taxis directly outside the hotel. It is quite expensive to get a taxi into the Old City ( a five min ride is 25-35 shekels), but it's quick and the hotel will call you a taxi if there are none outside. Apparently there is also a bus from behind the hotel that is quite cheap, I didn't find this out till the last day! Ask the staff about this, they will also tell you how to walk there (I think it's around 30 mins walk).

It's not a buzzing place to be if you're an independent traveller, but as part of a tour group I found them very accommodating and have no complaints whatsoever.

• Stayed August 2009
1 Thank Waterbaby_9
USA
Reviewed May 2, 2008

Mount Scopus hotel is the one that you get more than what you payed for! It is located at a quite neighborhood just 10 minutes walking distance north of the old city. The hotel is recently renovated and the service is supurb. I would recommand it to everyone. BTW, you can visit their website http://www.mtscopus.com/ to learn more.

• Liked — It is very clean and neat, the food is very good.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank xni