“Just right for me”

Allenby Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 60 Jerusalem B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I am finally getting around to this review (and others) after three years. This is a quaint bed and breakfast set in the middle of an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood near the central bus station in what seemed to be a suburb of the Old City. It seemed equally situated among the various sites I wanted to visit besides the Old City such as Yad Vahim, a large souk, the Jewish Museum, etc. It is spare, architecturally old and full of ambiance with a bit of a Bohemian flare. If you are looking for luxury, don't stay here. The room is staunchly minimalist. But it helps one get the spiritual feel of the place. One begins to sense that one is in a very old country. I loved it really. Danny was not there as he went visiting that year. It was in May/June of 2009 I was there. His sister came now and again and there were one or two people who seemed to have taken up semi-permanent residence. What character! How colorful! Another reviewer said it wasn't so much B&B/Inn as it was an experience. I would say yes, I definitely agree. I had several easy, though brief chatty relationships with other travelers and with those who were semi permanent residents. All told wonderfully interesting stories. As a solo I have to say, it suited me well. I look forward to a time when I can return.

Room Tip: Don't recall which rooms were quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed August 19, 2012

I booked a room in this historical villa by phone. The owner, Mr Flax, will find you a suitable room. The interior is simple yet matches the style of the building. The building has high ceilings and thick walks and stays cool even in the summer heat. Nevertheless, if you prefer, you could turn on the air-conditioning. Wifi is available in each room and the public space. It is fast and reliable. The location is good -- it is close to the central bus station and tram. You can shop at the local market and prepare your dinner in the Allenby's kitchen (it is milky).

The biggest plus of the Allenby is the owner -- Mr Flax is a walking book on the history of the Land of Israel, and a good travel guide. He will make you feel welcome.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank KleinerKlaus
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I stayed at the Allenby B&B in Jerusalem on my first visit there.

Pros of the B&B:
1. walking distance from the bus stand - so close in fact that you will not believe it!
2. a good walk to the old city via the vibrant and wonderful Jaffa road which is an absolute joy to walk on.
3. Great breakfast!
4. A very helpful host - Dan Flax is the man!
5. An easy walk to get you to the Knesset, the Israel museum and if you're up for it, to Yad Vashem as well (albeit slightly long)

Possible cons:
1. Not for those inclined to party - this is more for people that are keen on calling it an early night
2. Most other guests are friendly, but only so. Don't expect to share travel adventures with them. That happens only in Tel Aviv. (I did meet this hilarious, wonderful gentleman teaching at the Weizmann institute in Tel Aviv who was good company on most evenings.)
3. The place is typically booked and so if you want to extend your stay, it can't be done on an impromptu basis.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Allenby Bed and Breakfast is aside from that it's good value for your money, the most welcoming place you could stay in Jerusalem. The owner Danny, his sister and all the other staff are most happy to help you and advise you to make your stay more comfortable. The breakfast is great and the ability to use the kitchen to prepare your own dinner makes it very comfortable. I would definitly advise everyone to stay in this wonderful B&B and experience the great hospitality yourself.

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank NicoletteRodenburg
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I stayed at this wonderful B&B in Jerusalem...very friendly and easy accsess to the Old Holy City.

Nice open market 10 mins walk....25-30 mins to Old Holy City...5mins on new street cars about £1.20.

The Holy Sepulcre, Garden of Gethsemene, The Last Supper Room, Golgotha, Bethlehem the Holocaust Museum and the Western Wall, 'Solomon's Temple) and King David's Tomb are all nearby.

This B&B is not the Hilton, Sheraton, Peninsula hotels where I worked and performed for many years during my DJ career....however it was much more fun and interesting to be at The Allenby B&B.....'PS....Allanby Square, Jerusalem...Is named after the Scottish General who conquered the muslims in 1917...and eventually restored Jerusalem to her rightful Jewish owners!

Nice breakfast was laid on good food.

The kitchen is open for all gusts and a great meeting place to meet fellow travellers...and to dine together, but plenty of tables to dine as one wishes.

Danny Flax and his family are very nice people and made everyone welcome.

I will stay there on my future visits to wonderful Jerusalem....the greatest city in the world.

Frank J Dougan (Glasgow, Scotland)

www.facebook.com/fdougan

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Frank D
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Jerusalem is rather pricey. Hence, this property, which charged US$60+ for a cramped and tired double room with sharing toilet/shower room, can be consider good value. There is no other accommodation choices of this price range in this area, thus explaining why this place is often fully booked. Our sole reason for staying here was its proximity to the Central Bus Station since we had quite a bit of baggage from our 3-week long travel. We figured we could use it as a base for our day trips to Tel Aviv, Haifa etc. Yes, it had a dorm/youth hostel feel about the place where you lock up your foodstuff in the fridge. However, the tiny room is well-equipped with a place for everything including big suitcases so I guess it is OK. Whether you get a good night's sleep was at the mercy of your neighbour since some of the rooms were placed very close together. We were luck to have considerate neighbour. However, don't expect more sleep when the staff started preparing for breakfast. Also, we found this BB was not that easy to locate (we did not have a local SIM card to phone for direction, having just arrived in Israel).

On hindsight and knowing the city a little more, it is very actually very easy to travel with our baggages from the Bus Station by tram (no stairs to negotiate) to the old city where are more choices and more atmosphere. The tram stops at Damascus Gate and you buy your ticket at one of the vending machines at the stop.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SabrinaCanada
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We just left 2 Allenby Square after a 3-night stay. We had a wonderful stay and Danny was a great host. We were put into a little 'garden shed' for our first night (which I knew about ahead of time) as the indoor rooms were full. It was a little cold, but actually very comfortable and cosy and we would have stayed there, but the indoor room was a little larger and closer to the kitchen. We moved to the larger room for the next 2 nights. There are actual double beds, a little firm, but not uncomfortable, and a very small bathroom with a shower. If you don't mind these things, it's a great stay for a very good price. And very quiet at night! If you like 5-star, then don't come here, if you like easy/comfortable/friendly/good price, then this is your place.

Breakfast was served with a smile by Ambasom (sp?) with eggs to order, fruit salad, cheese/olive/tomato sandwich, toast, coffee/tea on the menu. You can eat as much as you want. We met a French family and a woman from Cote D'Ivoire and since we speak French, we had lively breakfasts and even shared a potluck dinner with them.

With the new light rail system, it's an ideal place to stay. There are two stops a very short walk away which takes you to City Hall in about 10 to 15 min. From there, it's a 5 min. walk to Jaffa gate. You can't really get much closer than that (unless you're in a taxi). The train also takes you to Yad Vashem in about 15 min. We also walked to the Israel museum in 30 min. For us, this was a perfect location...away from the noise of Zion square, but so easy to get around with the light rail. And, there's a market about a 10 min. walk (or 3 min. train ride) away, with all the food you need. Cooking is allowed in the kitchen of the guest house, just not during breakfast.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple