“Pretty Park honouring the USA on its Bicentennial with a copy of the US Liberty Bell” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Liberty Bell Park

Liberty Bell Park
Ranked #134 of 301 things to do in Jerusalem
Jerusalem, Israel
83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 160 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

It is a beautiful city centre park, with a reproduction of the US Liberty Bell, and was built to honour the USA on its Bicentennial in 1976. It is a few minutes walk from my home in Yemin Moshe, and across the street from the Lion Fountain. There are playground areas, and basketball courts, but late at night there have occasionally been violent attacks by gangs of Arab hoodlums; one night, while escorting a friend to his hotel, 7 young Arab toughs were trying to damage the Liberty Bell in the Park. In Arabic, I told them to stop and exit the Park. My friend was flamboyantly dressed, and I looked like a regular North American Religious guy, possibly a tourist. In Arabic, they threatened to gang rape us and then slit our throats. I pulled out my Browning 38, and invited them to try. My friend, a lefty liberal Gay from Chicago, who understood nothing of the conversation, freaked out at my drawing my weapon. I told him to shut up, as I was dealing with a serious threat. I forced them at gunpoint to exit the Park, at which point a police van pulled up. I was asked why I was carrying a loaded weapon unholstered. I explained the threats they had voiced. They were arrested. My friend was under the wrong impression we were racist, till my driver, who is himself a Moslem Arab, described how he'd stopped a similar gang trying to rape an 80-odd yr.old lady tourist in the same park, at a similar time (after 11:30 PM in his case; after 12:30 AM in ours). The police now intermittently patrol the park after 9:00 PM, but still be careful after dark there.

Visited February 2012