“ok hotel near the downtown”

National Hotel Jerusalem
Ranked #42 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed July 3, 2013

the hotel has a good location very near to bab el zahreh where you can go to al aqsa mosque
however the room is small and not comfortable, like the phone is near the TV instead of the bed

the breakfast and the dinner was limited items, you don't have many options.

the service in general was ok

Room Tip: don't know my room was 325 and was noisy, and has a small window at the wall side, no balcony so...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank gdayeh2

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I guess that I dont know how to choose hotels in Jerusalem. This is the second hotel in less than a week and I guess I have to pay more to get the right hotel. I didn't like the location - my mistake!
The rooms were not clean and the breakfasts were a total waste of time. I had to go out and pay extra money for a better breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank shany s
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This is the second time that we have stayed at the National Hotel, and both have been very positive experiences. One of the main reasons I gave 5 stars instead of 4 stars is because of the excellent customer service that we received both times, specifically with Nirvana, the front desk manager, but also because the other staff were very friendly and helpful as well.

The hotel is only about a 5-minute walk from Herod's Gate in the Old City, and there are a number of good restaurants close to the hotel in varying price ranges (from good, inexpensive shawarma across the street to really good thin crust pizza at a restaurant about 3-minutes' walk away from the hotel). Breakfast in the hotel includes made-to-order omelets, as well as a good assortment of other breakfast items.

Because of its close proximity to the Old City, you can save a lot of shekels on taxis (taxis are expensive in Jerusalem, especially compared to Amman), if you are willing/able to walk just a bit. Getting directions is very easy as the staff are very willing to sit down with you to map out the places that you would like to go while in Jerusalem, and also help assist in obtaining transportation if needed. We parked our rental cars in the free lot, and left them there except for a day when we drove to the Dead Sea to visit a number of places along the coast.

One complaint that we had as a group (and experienced our first stay as well) is that the wifi access is slow, whether in the lobby or in the room. As long as you don't have to have zippy wifi, or need to post videos on Facebook, then the wifi that is available should work okay for email purposes.

The close location of the National Hotel to the Old City helps offset the price of the hotel (which is in-line with other hotels in the area) by saving money on taxis. Although the hotel is a bit older, and could use a bit of updating, the excellent customer service makes it a great place to stay when we are in Jerusalem.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I am a high school teacher on a study trip to jerusalem, and staying at the National was an integral part of my positive experience of East Jerusalem and for taking day trips. Next year I plan on bringing a group of students and we will stay at the National and my kids will get a great first impression of Jerusalem hospitality.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I've been to the National Hotel for the second time this January. First time was last year. Back then it was alright, although the rooms are a little improvised in my opinion. No plug in the bathroom and the heater didn't work (it's cold in January). Breakfast was a bit stale and the staff was neither very motivated nor friendly, although the view from the breakfast room is very nice. The hotel is located in a muslim neighbourhood near the old city, which looks rather obscure, especially at night.

This time, after a long trip to Jerusalem, I arrived only to be told that there is no room available, although I had booked it AND paid for it in advance weeks before my arrival. They blamed a technical issue that caused them to overbook the hotel. So they transfered me to another Palestinian hotel nearby. It was a 3-star-hotel (instead: National Hotel = 4 stars): no wifi available in my room, no towels, power shortage in the morning.

That alone is bad enough but also no one offered me a refund for the price difference between the National Hotel and the cheaper hotel they transfered me to and also no reimbursement for the inconveniences was offered. When I asked for the refund, they told me that it will be handled during the next week. After 2 months and countless emails to and from the National Hotel, still nothing had happened, so I reported the problem to expedia and finally got my money back; from expedia, NOT the hotel.

I'll definitely not stay at the National Hotel again. After a long trip I don't want to risk not having a room ever again. It's very annoying, unprofessional and has never happened to me before anywhere else. Not to mention the audacity afterwards to not give refunds and straight out lying to me for weeks.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed at the National hotel for 3 nights and had a great experience. The staff are fantastic, particularly the front desk.

The rooms are a good size, clean and modern. The only fault i could find is that there are no electric sockets next to the mirror.

The hotel is in the Arab quarter, and as 2 females, it was perfectly safe. The road is quiet so never an issue getting a good nights sleep.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Traveling in Jerusalem can be a bit overwhelming but this place takes all the mystery out. Unbelievable service, super helpful to tourists not familiar with the area, great location, nice rooms priced right, great breakfast included!

• Stayed: June 2013