“Poor service, terrible area.”

National Hotel Jerusalem
Ranked #38 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed September 25, 2012

If your here for a night the hotel is fine. If your staying on business and require actual normal hotel services this may not be the place for you. My room was rarely cleaned and when I brought it to managements attention, all I received were smiles. Everyone loves to smile here and that is lovely but there is little substance behind the smile. The lady who manages during the day Nirvana does try as she possibly can but one person can not do it all. Do not go here during any kind of festival or it is just a nightmare. Stay in the Western or Northern area toward German COlony (quiet) or up North by the bars and shopping (loud.)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Chris S
There are newer reviews for National Hotel Jerusalem

Reviewed September 22, 2012

I am not a fussy traveler but I was very disappointed in my experience at the National Hotel. It is certainly not a 4 star hotel. I would give it about a 2 +. It was extremely basic, bordering on spartan. The rooms are not carpeted. The bathroom was so small, it was hard to turn around. The furnishings are very basic. The carpeting in the hallway was very dirty. It is about a 4 block walk to the arab quarter in the old city. do not pay 4 star prices if you stay here! There is no fitness center. Value for money? I don't think so.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any good rooms at the National Hotel. Because they were cleaning rooms...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I'm not used to write this kind of reviews. In general, an accomodation is nothing more than a transaction. Do ut des. Nothing more. Of course, the transaction could be fair or not. But in this case things are quite different. I've left Jerusalem with the feeling that I've received something that money can't pay.

A house is not a home and a hotel is not a building. The National Hotel is good in terms of its facilities. It has everything the average traveller could need on his visit to Jerusalem. Rooms are comfortable. Restrooms and amenities are OK. The wi-fi works well and the breakfast is fine. Mention apart about its situation. NH it's located on the East Jerusalem, that means the arabic neighborhood. And what about it? It's five minutes walking to Damascus Gate, probably the best entrance to the Old City where you can visit the most important historical, and religious if it's your goal, spots of Jerusalem. Sure that the district is not so clean and "cute" as Jaffa market or Mamilla (this could lead you to reflect about what's happening on the different treatment, services and investments that the Local Authorities of Jerusalem give to those areas depending on the ethnical or religious conditions of their respective population). On the other hand, I must assure is a very living, colourful and absolutely safe area. Any prejudices one could have before will disappear when discovering how easy and riskfree is to go through or live East Jerusalem.

Going back to the review of NH. What makes special a standard good hotel can't be found in material things. The soul of NH, no doubt, resides in the  human factor.

I've never experienced the kind of attention I had during my recent trip to Jerusalem.

The reception staff of NH is the most friendly and efficient group of people you could expect. The personal treatment (from my arrival, everyone called me by my name), the genuine smile and the willing to fullfill every need you could have are so natural to this staff!. I'm afraid of forgetting one of their names (it'd be unfair). Thank you a lot to the "sweet-but-professional" Ranjana, the "consider-it-done" Didi, the goal-oriented Tirshi and the outgoing Bashar. And same consideration deserves the personal of restaurant, rooms, etc.

The name behind that achievement is some kind of description of herself: Nirvana. Nirvana Shuaibi Remawi is by far the most enthusiastic, friendly and efficient Hotel Manager I've ever met. I've no words, at least in  my poor english, to remark how hard Nirvana works to resolve every problem you could have, to provide you with the information, supplies or whatever you need and, the best of all, always with the nice sensation that it's not a simple matter of work.  All my time in NH I've had the feeling of having a good friend there. I will never forget the Nirvana experience.

Making short a long story. If you're looking for golf, swimming pool or spa, this is not your hotel (I must add that probably, Jerusalem it's not your destination).   However, if you want to visit this amazing city, in a comfortable and absolutely safe way and with the confidence of having a group of friends taking care of you I encourage you to get your stay at the National Hotel, and enjoy your trip to Jerusalem. You won't be dissapointed and, for sure, will come back to your home happy and, probably, a little wiser and free of prejudices.

I feel like having a home and some friends in Jerusalem. Thank you, again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Rafa T
Reviewed August 8, 2012

A large, somewhat dated, hotel close to the old city. We had our doubts about value for money, but having spoken to tourists in other hotels nearby, we almost feel lucky.

Whatever small observations may apply to the bathroom, everything was compensated for in many-fold, by the staff. Never before have we felt so welcome when arriving in a hotel and during our stay. Great frontdesk staff who deliver what they promise and more.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank emvi-op-reis
Reviewed July 31, 2012

The incredibly kind and hospitable people at the National Hotel made our two week visit even more enjoyable.

We started our visit being blown away by the kindest treatment ever by none other than the manager and owner of the hotel, Mr. Osama Salah. He personally came to help us the very first minute we stepped into the hotel. Immediately, he gathered around him some of his staff and they all worked so hard to make sure our stay would be enjoyable. Mr. Salah continued being the nicest ever the whole time we were there. This kind hearted gentleman always came up to us to ask if he could help and if all was ok. He even stopped by several times for interesting conversations.

A huge special thank you goes out to the great receptionist Nirvana who always warmly greeted us and made us feel at home. This young woman is a true walking definition of Nirvana. She oozes with peace and understanding in a place that is so longing for true peace. We always shared with her our concerns and she was always so accommodating and helpful. It was such a joy to share with her our own personal reflections of the country and how we were feeling about our stay. Her kind interest in our reflections made us always feel we had a true friend in Jerusalem.

We will never forget the many other hotel staff. They live on in our memories for their hospitality and genuine care. We very much appreciate the very kind hearted Omar who always told us interesting stories and warmly greeted us with a wonderful “Good morning” with a genuine smile each day. We now always talk about Omar with great fondness.

A special thank you goes out to Abu Shadi, the waiter who kindly always provided us with what we wanted from tea with mint, coffee, soup and other delicious treats. We sincerely appreciate Khaled and Basem, who were a wonderful help in making great food and they always kindly provided the best services. There were many other hotel staff who were always on hand to help us and we appreciate their kind help.

On top of the kind service, the hotel room was comfortably spacious. We had three very cozy beds and the linens were always spotlessly clean. There were two closets, which allowed us to hang all our belongings. This summer, the heat was very high, but the temperature in our room was always cool. The bathroom was spotless and all of us were able to take hot showers. We always returned to a beautifully cleaned and fresh smelling room. I myself started to feel that this hotel was my own home because I felt so comfortable in it. In fact, I wish I could go back this minute.

We loved the terraced restaurant on the fourth floor. It was so fun to wake up knowing that breakfast would be provided in the open air on a terrace overlooking interesting side streets and a wide open view of the beautiful Jerusalem. At night, the restaurant is equally delightful and we had fun eating several meals there late at night.

It is amazing that the best hamburgers we ever ate were not here in America but at the National Hotel. If you happen to stop by the National Hotel, we highly recommend their hamburgers. They are spiced in such an amazing way and have a really neat flavor. We also loved the National’s pistachio milkshake and their lemonades are to die for. They are sprinkled with chopped mint, which really adds a neat flavor.

We loved the fact that we could walk to the Old City, the Mosque and the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. We loved being close to the streets where there was a lively marketplace and bookstores. At all times, we passed by very kind hearted people.

We went to visit this spiritual place and we got so much more. The people at the National Hotel manifest their spirituality through their kindness and hospitality. Now, we speak not just about the sites we saw, but also the beautiful people at the National Hotel who left such a strong impression in our hearts and on our memories. If we get to see these lovely people again, we will be very lucky.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Rain351
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The amazing hospitality we received by Nirvana and the management at this hotel made us feel like royalty. We were greeted warmly by the front desk all day, every day---and the staff in the breakfast room went way out of their way for 7 mornings--allowing us to come in early, creating perfect lattes and making us feel welcome.
We will recommend this hotel to anyone we know who is making a trip to Israel.

Room Tip: I would request a room where the floors are not washed with water and not a disinfectant with such a...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank judidiva
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We really liked this hotel.

As other reviews mention, it's 5 minutes walk from the Old City.

It's in East Jerusalem - which is predominantly Arab / Palestinian. And guess what - the people are as kind and friendly as any you'll encounter in West Jerusalem (which is a few minutes away if you catch a tram from the nearby stop). The advantage of staying here is that is cheaper than a hotel of an equivalent standard in the Western bit.... and nearer to the sights.

Service is fantastic. The lady at the front desk will go out of her way to help you.

As for the hotel itself - inside, it's a bit like an anonymous, corporate chain hotel. So it's clean and the facilities are good. The difference is that it's in the world's most fascinating city. And it has a history too - look out for the pictures of ex President Carter (and other politicians) in the lobby.

Look - you have to visit Jerusalem once in your life. Make sure you go there - it is completely safe for tourists (there's more crime in your home town). And the National Hotel is a good place for you to stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple