“Service+localtion=happy stay”

Ranked #35 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Hickory, North Carolina
“Service+localtion=happy stay”
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights, then left for a night in Petra, then returned again for one more night before our flight back to the U.S. The staff spoke excellent English, answered all of our questions, assisted us with computer issues, and called to check on our airport shuttle when the driver was late. They also made a very good "to go" breakfast since we had to leave at 5 am. The rooms were quite large, were clean, bathroom has a nice sized shower with a real door on it, and there was a good exercise room. We enjoyed our meals very much, especially the various salads and yummy desserts. My only complaint was that there are only 2 or 3 nonsmoking rooms, and we didn't get one. I am allergic to smoke and our first room seemed to reek of cigarette smoke, so I was very congested those two nights. I realize that not every country has the concessions to nonsmokers as we do in the U.S. We were with a group, so we didn't have a lot of time to explore, but had we wanted to go into Old Jerusalem, our location was just a few blocks to Damascus gate and lots of little eateries were nearby.

1 Thank Thea2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ukiah, California
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Excellent Staff and great reservations as i managed to get my reservations done through them and they were very patiant and underdatnding aslo the front desk were excellent and prompt with their service , the housekeep were good though i have a couple of doubts on the cleaning . Over all superbe and close to the old city .

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Jack R
Singapore
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We are repeat customers at this hotel, and will continue to make it our hotel of preference when we visit again. Location is great, within walking distance from the Damascus Gate. The rooms are of decent size and very comfortable. The key here is that everything works. This review would be incomplete without special mention of the outstanding service by the reception staff led by Ms Nirvana. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank silverkris
Redondo Beach, CA
Reviewed April 24, 2012

This hotel is the perfect choice if you are visiting Jerusalem to see the Old City and religious sights, especially if you are visiting during Passover and do not want to be in a West Jerusalem/Kosher hotel which will not serve anything with leaven, including cereal for breakfast. East or Arab Jerusalem, where this hotel is located, does not receive the same level or frequency of municipal services as West Jerusalem, and it shows, but the area is perfectly safe, bustling, less expensive and provides closer access to the Old City and historic sites. The staff is exceptional, and handled all our arrangements for trips beyond Jerusalem, including to and from the airport (we flew into Tel Aviv very late and did not clear passport control until 2:30 AM, but there was Ramadan, the hotel's wonderful driver, to cheerfully greet us and transport us in the hotel Mercedes) and a morning trip to Hebron and Bethlehem.

The hotel is true to the pictures -- somewhat recently renovated. Our room was large, the bed comfortable, and the bathroom well equipped. There was some sign of wear and tear in the bathroom, but any issue was immediately addressed by the staff who could not have been more responsive. A wonderful complimentary buffet breakfast, including cooked to order omelettes, is served each morning in the hotel's top floor restaurant. The restaurant is a great choice for dinner as well. We walked over to the American Colony hotel for dinner a couple of times, but the food at the National Hotel restaurant was at least as good, if not better.

Two great shawarma stands are next to the hotel, a great gelatto place is two blocks away towards Herod's Gate, the Garden Tomb is a five minute walk towards Damascus Gate, and Omar's Souvenirs -- the best olive wood carver in the city -- is across the street. If you are looking for a resort type hotel, this is not the place. But if you are looking for a great place to stay at a reasonable price while visiting Old Jerusalem, the National Hotel is a great choice. In any event, the service at this hotel is second to none.

1 Thank TravelMan90277
belfast
Reviewed April 14, 2012

The staff here were great and as other people have stated Nirvana on the desk is an exceptional employee!. I was disappointed in the hotel, our bathroom was so small we couldnt close the door! My husband found a cockroach in the bathroom. I had a hair in my food! It was a very special birthday for my husband and I was hoping it would have been better. The hotel is in the Arab quarter of Jerusalem and we found the street the hotel was in was not clean. Dont think we would revisit this hotel!

2 Thank elizandbob
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2012

As I walked through the door, awaiting me at the footsteps was Nirvana, the front desk receptionist who somehow knew who I was and greeted me with my name! Wow what a welcome. From that moment the tone of my stay in Jerusalem was set. What a great start! Every need was catered for, from a cold bottle of water whilst I checked in to the map given to me with all their recommendations including best ways to get to places. Now that's service! Even the next day at breakfast Nirvana saw me and made the time to come and say hello and see if she could be of any help. Amazing. The hotel may not be 5 star but the service is and certainly more genuine and sincere then any 5 star hotel staff.

As for the location, it is literally at the entrance of two gates of the old city within the Arab quarter. Now to some people they can find this area intimidating (not sure why) but to me it was the most exciting, energetic and bustling quarter within the old city. The sights, sounds and smells of the bazaars was unmatched by other quarters and was a real and unique experience that I will always remember.

A big thank you to Nirvana who was simply amazing and all the other staff from the cleaners to the restaurant staff. All gave genuine, friendly and heartfelt service.

Would I stay at the National Hotel and East Jerusalem again? Absolutely!

Room Tip: I had a balcony room on the 2nd floor as I am a smoker. Make sure you send the hotel a note/email if...