“Comfort in the heart of Jerusalem”

National Hotel Jerusalem
Ranked #34 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Comfort in the heart of Jerusalem”
Reviewed March 15, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the National Hotel, Jerusalem for 5 days in early March 2012. From the moment we arrived the front desk team, led by Ms. Nirvana Shuaibi, bent over backwards to greet us, make us feel welcome and to assist us in every way possible. The Reception trainee, Lina Rimlawee, should also be mentioned. She was very pleasant & helpful-as are all the staff we met.

This hotel is in an ideal situation for those who wish to explore the old city of Jerusalem being close to both Herod's Gate & the Damascus Gate. The old city can seem daunting & confusing to a newcomer. Any time we wanted to go somewhere specific we just asked Nirvana in Reception and she gave us clear directions on the free hotel map. If a taxi is required one call to the front desk & it is there almost instantly-and for the best price available. They arranged a tour to Bethlehem for us and when we were leaving to drive to Eilat Nirvana drew us a map to enable us to get out of town quickly & simply. If you are driving, there is a free car park. As parking is at a premium in Jerusalem this is a boon.

The rooms are clean, well appointed & spacious. The whole hotel looked to have been newly decorated. There is a sun terrace to one side of the hotel. There is a roof-top restauarant with all-round views of Jerusalem. An all-weather terrace has been created right round the restaurant, again with breathtaking views and ideal for sunbathing.

Breakfast is taken in this restataurant, it is varied and plentiful. We had only one dinner in this restaurant and it was superb; grilled chicken breasts with sauce & fresh vegetables. Alcohol is not avaliable in the hotel. It was also reasonably priced. There are many restaurants & cafes close to the hotel.

I do not hesitate to recommend the National Hotel and I would definitely stay there again. Many thanks to Nirvana, Lina and the whole staff team for giving us such a memorable stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Derek O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
La Canada Flintridge, California
Reviewed March 1, 2012

This hotel is less than a 5 minute walk from the Old City. Fantastic location. The Hotel itself is very well done and very clean.The staff is exceptional. I've stayed there twice already in the last year, and I will return again and again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Patrick S
leicester
Reviewed February 21, 2012

This hotel is right next to the old city. It is dry so no alcohol. The rooms are large and pleasant. We had exceptional rain during our stay and when the windows leaked we were moved immediately. Buffet was fine and a good range. Staff so friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank hayesej
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 11, 2012

This Hotel has Excellent service, clean rooms and a very friendly staff. I met the owners and they are very nice people. I would recommend anyone that is visiting Jerusalem to stay at National Hotel, the staff is very kind and helpful especially Nirvana. The hotel is close to everything. I really enjoyed my stay at the National Hotel and would definitely go back. I give it five star rating, thank you!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Sabri_Jerusalem
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Fantastic spot, I needed to extend my stay because of this place they said "no problem", the restaurant was gooood the breakfast was gooood ( omelette bar ) - but the front desk service was amazing young smart and funny- Nirvana & Bashar helped me with everything i could want and taught me a little bit about the Jerusalem culture. The hotel manager has hired a great team in all departments and really knows what is important to the guests. listen to me --- book it and enjoy!
The location is perfect very safe and clean.

Mr.Andrew ( Canada )

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Andrew S
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I travel to many countries year round and this time I decided to write a review specifically for this special city and this special hotel. This hotel is clean, neat, and has excellent service, very reasonable rates and I really have nothing negative to write about. It's strategically located within a few minutes’ walking distance to the old city and what impressed me most was their employees who make sure that you are having an enjoyable stay and they actually do go the 'extra mile' to assist. You'll find many different nationalities in this hotel. I did not try their lunch or dinner but their breakfast was delicious and with a good variety. Really, their staff is something else. A very special thanks to Majdi and Nirvana, two names I will never forget for their great hospitality and people who will truly help you with whatever you may need – with a smile. Hats off to the National Hotel Jerusalem!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Yaghnam
London
Reviewed January 18, 2012

We arrived at Tel Aviv Airport from London on a very early flight after haggling with a a Sherut taxi driver at 6.00am over what should have been a standard fare beacause he didn't have enough passengers to fill his van (Shared taxi should cost 60 shekels to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv Airport). When we arrived at the National Hotel we were greeted by Ms Nirvana who was very friendly and welcoming and very kindly gave us a drink and a complimentary early check in which was just what we needed. All the staff were nice and friendly from the owners, general manager, waiters and of course Ms Nirvana on reception who has been mentioned many times before who is one of a kind very helpful and full of energy…and the gentlemen who was on night reception whose name begins with B…(just like me to forget) whom deserves a mention. The room was adequate except no kettle but maybe we could have asked for one because the staff supplied an iron when asked for. If I had any complaint it was the room was cold at times especially the bathroom although the staff tried to resolve this whenever we brought it to their attention …maybe it was just me feeling cold. Oh and the bed was somewhat hard for my liking but there were lots of pillows.

Breakfast which was included was more than adequate with fresh eggs being cooked as you desired.

As highlighted by previous reviewers the area is in the Arab district and the streets and buildings do look somewhat run down compared to other areas in Jerusalem but it does give access to lots of small shops – bakeries, food and small grocery shops and even an English bookshop which served hot drinks and we never felt unsafe or had any problems in the locality.

From the hotel it only took about 5 minutes to walk to Herods Gate in the Old City but most of the time we walked to Damascus Gate (8-10 mins) or Jaffa Gate (15-20 mins) where more was happening. The new tramline (6.60 shekels a journey) doesn’t go to Herod Gate but does stop around Damascus Gate but there are buses (6.60 shekels a journey same cost as the tram) near the Hotel.

Overall we had a wonderful time in Jerusalem and the staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor not too far from a lfit and had no problem with noise.