“Not worth the effort”

and up
Private Tour in Old City of Jerusalem
Ranked #33 of 310 things to do in Jerusalem
Reviewed May 21, 2014

The idea seemed great but the reality was not good. Not much to see ( views from Davids tower are much much bettter ) and when we did the northern ramparts the exit at the Damascus Gate was locked without any warning so we had to retrace our steps bck to the new gate. Waste of time and money.

2  Thank muchtravelled001
There are newer reviews for Ramparts Walk

Reviewed May 20, 2014

We did this because of the "views" from above, but all we saw was stuff that you'd rather hide from view. If you want to see a great view, instead climb to the top of the Austrian Hospice in the Old City. That's free!!

1  Thank MamaG3
Reviewed May 16, 2014

This experience, although rather romantic when you are thinking about it, turns out to be disappointing for two reasons. First, what you see as you walk on the ramparts is many, many meters of back junk areas of houses and businesses of the old city. Since these areas are behind the properties, the space is often dirty, unkempt and plain full of junk. This is not so fun to look at. Looking out on the other side of the ramparts which is East Jerusalem, the Arab area. Both are far from the historical ramparts of Jerusalem. The walk is also very long, with many steps, some steep and almost all uneven. It is to be commended that there are rails along all the steps, so it's possible to hold on while climbing and descending the many steps. In my opinion, I would recommend the short version of this activity, if at all.

2  Thank Ruth A
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This was our first time taking the rampart walk with our kids ( 10 year old twins). I suspected that they would enjoy it and I was right. It is a nice way to see the old city from above and get a sense of the different quarters. I had download the Old City Jerusalem Audio Tours in advance and used them to narrate a bit of what we were looking at. I didn't listen to the audio very much, I just read the transcript to everyone when we stopped to look at something. It gave the kids a real sense of adventure as they climbed along the walls and looked down at the old city on one side and the modern city on the other.

2  Thank twinsareenough
Reviewed April 30, 2014

This is not a walk for the faint hearted. Take water with you, there are no lavatories en route. There are a lot of steep, slippery steps going up and down and it is very tiring. My friend and I are in our late sixties and would not want to do this walk if we were much older. The south walk is the shorter of the two and more pleasant and interesting. The north walk mainly passes back gardens and schools with a last of trash along the way. However, it is a spectacular city with amazing history wherever you look.

2  Thank Wendyfitzmaurice