“bare bones”
Review of Kaplan Hotel

Kaplan Hotel
Ranked #61 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed December 23, 2013

The Kaplan Hotel is a fairly bare bones place to stay on the main drag in Jerusalem. It is right across the street from Zion Square, off Jaffa Street, and is pretty busy (and noisy) every night (including Shabbat). Eli, and his brother, are very hospitable and pleasant. There is a common room with a kitchen, refrigerator, small table, with a washer and dryer in an adjacent room. Coffee is available in the morning, and there are many places close by that serve breakfast, along with pastry shops and bakeries.
Our room was fairly small, with a balcony, TV, bathroom, closet, and wifi. My husband even got a haircut in a shop up the street from the Kaplan. We served with Sar-El during the week (on an army base), and stayed here one weekend.
The Kaplan is close to the Machne Yehuda market, and Ben Yehuda street. You will definitely get a feel for Jerusalem when you stay here. The Old City is about a 15-20 minute walk, plus you are just steps away from the new Light Rail train...very centrally located.
Tell Eli "hi" when you stop in!

Room Tip: the rooms facing Jaffa St are noisy...try to get one away from the main drag.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KyBoop

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Excellent location in a very center of Jerusalem, 10 minutes to old city by foot. Basic, not luxury at all, but there is everything you need for a perfect stay. Clean, cosy rooms, strong wifi. No breakfast, but there is a small kitchen with free tea and coffee. Main bar / restaurant street is just outside the hotel. Very welcoming owner. I mean it is hard even to explain how fantastic service is that makes this hotel so special. Perfect experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing opposite main street to have a quite one.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank dirvele
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We've spent 3 nights in Kaplan hotel, and it was a perfect place for our group of friends. The host is really nice and helpfull, he explained us different jewish traditions, also told about he's own expierence in the past (army, war, etc.). The place is right in the center of the Jerusalem nightlife, so be prepared of crowded street on Thursday ant Saturday nights.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank zalzakas
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Treat yourself and stay here. Eli makes your stay in this magical city even more special. Kaplan Hotel is a wonderful part of the adventure. The room is fine - clean and comfortable enough. The location is near boisterous Zion Square. My husband and I are in our mid-50's and were here at the end of Sept '13. A Great value.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank les96
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We were 3 and our room was clean and had 2 single and a bunk bed. It helped us to spread out our belongings. It even had a little balcony. Strong wifi in the room is a big plus. You can use the kitchen for tea and coffee. No breakfast but there are many cafe and restaurants around Zion Square that you won't go hungry.

Located on a side street off Jaffa St. Just follow the rails of the light rail to get to the hotel. It's very close to the Old City. It is located on a 2nd floor with no elevator but it's not that bad.

The owner, Mr. Eli Wasserman welcomed us with a plate of fruit and bid us farewell with fruits as well. He gave us 2 mosquito repellent plug ins for our room. He was very friendly, helpful and witty.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lugubres
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This hotel is probably good value for the money, but you must be prepared to deal with some definite inconveniences and issues. There are reasons why this place is relatively low cost, even though it is in an excellent location. There are also reasons why it has received good reviews. In my opinion, it's a very mixed bag.

LOCATION:
Pros: Excellent location, near Zion Square. It's near Jaffa St. and Ben Yehuda pedestrian streets. It's a lively area full of activity, shops, cafes, 24-hour grocery stores, and just about anything you could want. I loved this environment.

Cons: (1) There is NO TAXI ACCESS! The hotel is on a pedestrian street with no vehicular access nearby. You will have to walk for several blocks from you taxi to get there. Getting a taxi to leave was a major problem. The owner told me if he called a taxi to meet me nearby, they taxi company would immediately start charging 100 Shekels as soon as the call ended and the charges would continue until I reached my destination. On Friday (Shabbat) morning, there simply were no taxis around on the nearby streets. I had a lot of luggage and this was a problem. I dragged everything for several blocks over to the Jerusalm Towers, which seemed to be the closest place for taxi access. I actually was meeting a Bein Harim Tour Group there, but Jerusalem Towers did seem to be the closest place to get a taxi at that time. (2) It gets VERY NOISY and you can hear outside noises in your room from blocks away. If you are bothered by noise, this is not the place for you. I was there on a Thursday night, which is an especially loud night because of all of the partying going on before Shabbat (Friday). The noise did diminish later at night (much later after midnight).

ROOM:
Pros: The room had a private bathroom with shower. It also had a large closet. It was very basic and utilitarian, but for the price you will not get luxury and I thought it was OK.

Cons: No breakfast is provided by the hotel. However, there are plenty of cafes around where one could get some breakfast. As mentioned above, sounds from outside from blocks away could be heard inside the room, although things quieted down later at night.

BUILDING:
Pros: It is an older building at a fantastic location (as discussed above).

Cons: You must go up several flights of stairs to reach the hotel. There is not elevator. If you have a lot of luggage or trouble with stairs (both applied in my case, i.e., several bags and recent knee meniscus surgery), then this can present definite issues. The owner did help me with the luggage though.

OWNER:
Pros: A wonderful, personable, helpful, friendly man. He went out of his way for me. I really liked him a lot.

Cons: None. I only have good things to say about him.

OTHER OBSERVATIONS: This place reminded me a bit of a college dormintory. I suspect it has great appeal to 20-somethings who want low cost accommodations near the very active and fun Zion Square.

CONCLUSION: This is a great value hotel for anyone of any age if you are prepared for and can deal with the issues I described above. I would stay at this place again, but only if I had less luggage and also with better preparation for needing to walk several blocks to arrive and depart via taxi. I simply was not prepared for the various issues that arose and they took me by surprise. I did not see the issues discussed in reviews here (but then again, maybe I did not read enough of the reviews to find the problems). At any rate, I dealt with whatever came up and the wonderful ower helped a lot.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
9  Thank Cultured_Jewel
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Eli is like the uncle I never had! Really close to the old city and right next to public transport. I want to be clear tho, this isn't a luxury hotel... it's very basic - even then it had a fridge (with a free bottle of water) in the room, a platter of free fruit, and it was immaculately clean. I will definitely stay here when I come back to Israel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo