“Thank you for making us feel at home!!! You are the best!”
Review of Kaplan Hotel

Kaplan Hotel
Ranked #59 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
Sunnyvale
“Thank you for making us feel at home!!! You are the best!”
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

The hotel felt more like a hospitable B&B than a hotel in the center of a capital city. Location is awesome too: a walking distance from the Old City and a block away from cafes and from a shopping area.

Thank you!!!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Alex G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Pleasant owner, good location, clean - but often noisy and generally rundown. Didn't live up to expectations. No breakfast available (other than tea-bags and Nescafe). Not really enough bedding, and nowhere comfortable to sit in the room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Keith R
Mumbai
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I chose the Kaplan over more established brand name hotels because of the good reviews I'd read and more importantly, since I wanted to stay at a place that offered a more intimate "Israeli" experience. I was certainly not disappointed. The biggest plus point of this place has simply got to be the owner, Eli Wasserman. Right from the time I checked in late one afternoon to the time I left after a two night stay, Eli was friendly and helpful. Blessed with seemingly boundless energy and good cheer, it was a pleasure to sit at the kitchen table with him while he brewed me some tea and we got talking. His warmth and concern for my well being seemed genuine enough. He gave me a couple of maps to keep, on which he very helpfully sketched out directions for places to visit. I found out through experience that his advice was sound and I did not go wrong following his tips, be it directions to places or things to do and /or avoid. His breakfasts were simple but very filling. In sum, Eli is a large part of what makes this place nice. As for the accomodation, it is utilitarian. I had a small room barely enough to walk into. It was en suite, and had a separate curtained nook where stood a medium sized cupboard for clothes and some additional floor place where I could stow my luggage. There was a TV, attached high on the wall facing the bed, which showed several channels, both Hebrew and English. The bathroom was just about adequate in size. Two minor inconveniences with the bathroom were : A very small sink which allowed too much water to splash out onto the floor, and the lack of a shower cubicle which made the whole bathroom wet while taking a shower. But the room and the bathroom were very well maintained and clean. The hotel is about a twenty minutes walk from Jaffa Gate in the walled city of Old Jerusalem and a lot of the tourist attractions and historical sights are thus close at hand. The hotel is adjacent to Zion Square and this is a very nice area with good choices for shopping, eating or merely hanging out. Jaffa Road, on which the hotel is located is also a very nice and pleasant road for just walking along as well. And oh yes, before I forget. When I checked in Eli handed over to me a big bowl of fresh fruits wrapped in cellophane and told me "These fruits are not just for looking, they are for eating !! You MUST eat them!" And when he next saw me the first thing he asked was,"Have you eaten any of the fruit? It is FREE, I don't charge for it !" Of course I did eat the fruits and they were very tasty indeed. Thanks Eli !!

In sum, therefore, I would recommend this place. It is utlitarian and nothing fancy, but I found the overall experience of staying here almost like being at home.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank TravellerIND
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The rooms are basic and can be noisy, the shower and ac are both very good, most importantly the rooms are clean. The owner is a fantastic man, really helpful and always cheery. Informing of local events, culture and places and importantly times to attend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mich_syd_11
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

This is a LOW BUDGET hotel, so you might know in advance what you are expecting: simple rooms, basic bathroom. Excellent location: within a 5 to 10 mins walk to the old city and surrounded by cafés and restaurants. The manager is very friendly, he even took us to the taxi stop to take a taxi to Tel Aviv. However TAKE INTO ACCOUNT: I saw a couple requesting to rent the room for a couple of hours In the night and the manager said that it was possible.

• Stayed September 2012
5 Thank CaroArangoB
Texas
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My room had a full sized bed and enough room to move around in for 1 person, it might have been a little snug for 2. Also had a private bathroom with shower and good a/c. The room could use a little upgrading but was very clean.The owner or manager not sure which was very helpful and even let me use a room and take a shower on the day of my depature around 5pm for a extra $20. The location was wonderful. It is in a nice pedestrian area in the Zion square area right across from Ben Yehuda Street. Lots of restaurants and stores in this area. Also its within easy walking distance about 10 mins or so from the Old City in one direction and Mahaneh Yehuda Market in the other.

Room Tip: No elevator here so if you have a problem with stairs keep that in mind.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Trying-4-100
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2012

When my husband, sister & I were planning our two night trip to Jerusalem we wanted a hotel that was a little different, something a bit 'quirky' and, as we had a budget, good value was important to us. We emailed the hotel to make enquiries pricewise & Eli's response was prompt, concise & included advice about parking & arriving on Shabbat.

When we arrived he greeted us with a warm welcome, ice cold glasses of water & a bowl of fresh fruit. Our room was clean with freshly laundered sheets & towels, bright & airy; with a lovely balcony adorned with beautiful pink & red geraniums. Eli showed us the fully equipped kitchen where we were free to make refreshments & prepare food if we so wished.

The location was amazing, at the junction of Ben Yehuda & Jaffa which is within easy walking distance to the Old City & a vibrant nightlife.

I would not hesitate to recommend this wonderful hotel to anyone & will be staying there again on our next trip. Thank you Eli........ha shanah ha ba~ah b'yerushalaim. Jo.Anne Goodwin.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room with balcony.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family