“Not fine dining but great at what it does”
Review of FishenChips

FishenChips
Ranked #68 of 736 Restaurants in Jerusalem
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Unless you want to stick to falafel and shawarma, Jerusalem is an expensive place to dine in. This is a reasonable alternative.

I echo comments of other reviewers that this was the best fish and chips I ever ate. Several choices of fish, wonderful crisp panko crust. Not greasy.

My wife and I shared a cod salad. It was large enough for both of us. I highly recommend. Portions are huge.

Please note that the restaurant is deep within the Mahane Yehuda market. There is a least one similar named imitator near the entrance.

3  Thank 1Rahhalatun

Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

I keep going back to this place, several times a week. Can't be beat, especially the red tuna
Gourmer food at market prives. Open late past thearket xkkse as well

1  Thank FrequentTraveler62
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My wife and children went to Fishenchips over the summer, and couldn't stop raving about it. I was sure that it was good, but really -- how good could fish and chips be? I finally had the opportunity to go there with my wife and son, and I understood why they were raving about it. We tried three different types of fish (tuna, salmon, and cod), and each was delicious in its own way. The fish is fresh, the batter thick and delicious, the frying done just when you order it, and without making everything taste too oily. I understood why my family had raved about it, and why they kept telling me that I had to eat there.

The portion sizes are very large: The three of us ordered three fish+chips, plus a garden salad, and had plenty of french fries left over after absolutely stuffing ourselves. We probably would have been just fine with two or three portions.

The fries (er, chips) were very good, but nothing too special. But they went very well with the fish. The garden salad was perhaps the only disappointing part of the meal; the vegetables weren't nearly as fresh as we would have expected given that we were in the middle of the shuk, known to offer the best produce (variety, price, and quantity) in Israel. The dipping sauces were quite good, as well. And the staff, which was working quite hard to keep up with a large number of customers, were efficient, friendly, and appreciative of the positive comments.

Fishenchips easily trumps the other fast food that I've had lately, and is already a major reason for my plan to visit the shuk on a regular basis in the future. Delicious and fun; who could ask for more?

2  Thank ReuvenLerner
Reviewed September 2, 2013

the chance to eat FRESH fish and chips in the Yahuda market place is once in a million.... fish and Shapiro beer... what a refreshing KOSHER meal... YOU WILL LOVE IT... and the service is friendly and very helpful... if you do it once.. .you will be back ..

1  Thank leviteprez
Reviewed August 27, 2013

My daughter and I loved the Fish & Chips in Mahane Yehuda. They were delicious! It fun sitting down and eating in the busy Mahane Yehuda market. Right next to the Fish& Chips there is a juice place that makes fresh juice with all kinds of strange ingredients (like "Etrogim"/Citron) which claim to aid in different health aliments and may even have Holy properties! For 2 shekels you can get a small taste. At that price you can try them all! It was fun hearing about the healing properties and tasting the strange juices. Be sure to read the explanations of each juice or have the seller explain them.

1  Thank 33traveler2010