“Great hummus!”

Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Loved Hummus Ben Sira (was probably the best hummus we had in Jerusalem) - portions are big, food is great. The restaurant is tiny (there's a small counter and a handful of tables), if it's nice out, I'd opt for take out.

There are newer reviews for Hummus Ben Sira

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Usually for good hummus you have to go to the old city and east jerusalem, but ben Sira is the only hummus place I'd eat at in the west of the city. The hummus toppings are the best, including: beef, fried cauliflower, mushrooms, broad beans... also you get some really fluffy falafal balls with every hummus and it's impossible to leave this place hungry. remember to bring cash because they don't take card.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

this is as close as you will get to the real thing without going into the old city, and if you need it to be kosher, youre in luck. your best bet if youre not a hummus professional is a plate with chickpeas and ful (fava beans). the place is usually packed so get ready to wait a bit for a place to sit. if youre on a first date, this is not the place for it, its tiny and crowded.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

One of the key food objectives for this trip is to find the best hummus in Israel. I may have found one in Ben Sira. We asked from our wonderful receptionist Mona from Arthur Hotel immediately after we arrive into Jerusalem and she recommended this place, saying that 'this is THE BEST'. I must trust the locals right? It was closeby our hotel - about a 10 min walk. We were doubtful whether we were able to find it as we did not have the detailed address to locate via google map, just some general directions on the map and did not have time to look for this on TA. Worst - it was the last day of sukkot and we nearly missed the entrance. Luckily Ben Sira is really a short street, so we basically poked our heads into every address and finally found it. Completely out of this world hummus. Very smooth and without the strange after-taste of commercial hummus from the tub and also other locations I have tried so far in Israel. Each portion/ set comes with 3 falafel, 2 huge pita bread and pickles. Initially the lady thought that we only wanted 1 set but we wanted to have one set with meat for my husband and one masabacha version for me. We ended up declining the pita bread and pickles that came with my set – hummus can really be quite filling and we were stuffed even at dinner time after a whole day of walking, so beware. We were early for lunch and people started to stroll in. You can even order half a pita with all the ingredients to take away like the locals. Very small eatery with some tables and chairs and counter-sitting. One flaw was that the lady serving us was not too friendly, but it did not spoil out meal. Truly an Israeli street food with great nutritional value and good value for money.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

All things considered, this is probably my favourite hummus place in Jerusalem. The atmosphere is noisy and vibrant, but also friendly. This differs from some of the more traditional machine-like hummus operations in the city. The hummus itself is divine - my tummy is rumbling away just thinking about it. My personal favourites are hummus with mushrooms and hummus with cauliflower (the latter also comes with fried onion). Included in the price (between 22 - 29 shekels) are three felafel balls, tomato, onion and pitta. As other reviewers have mentioned it's extremely busy. People get turned away all the time, especially at night. Most of the staff are really lovely, but there are a couple of sour apples.