“Very disappointed by my recent visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Derech Hagefen

Derech Hagefen
Ranked #1 of 23 Coffee & Tea in Jerusalem
Cuisines: Cafe, Israeli
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Jerusalem, Yerushalayim, Israel
“Very disappointed by my recent visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Yes the location and setting is wonderful and i love their sister restaurant Cafe Itamar, but the service and the quality has gone down.

First of all I called to book lunch on a Friday but was told there was a problem with their computers and i should call back to book on Friday am. When I did, they said they dont take bookings on Friday but we should just come and it would be fine. We arrived at 11.30 to a line of about 20 people and were told it would be a 20--30 min wait. The cut off for ordering breakfast is 12.00 so I was not happy. It is also a pet hate of mine when places don't do breakfast/brunch all day on a Friday - it makes no sense, especially for a place that is popular for brunch.

Luckily we got our table just in time and I had to flag down a waitress and insist that I needed to order before the 12 cut off. I ordered a simple eggs benedict without onion because I have an allergy to onion.

It came with onion in the spinach - i sent it back. The second one came with no spinach at all and the eggs were totally overcooked. I sent it back.

The 3rd time i got salmon instead of the spinach - apparently they didnt have any plain spinach. I found the salmon overly fishy and took it out and the eggs were once again over cooked. The hollandaise sauce was broken and too vinegary, it was all a huge disappointment.

If you cannot make poached eggs and hollandaise sauce, dont have eggs benedict on the menu!

My mother got one a fritata which was nice but just came with a salad and no dips.

Yes the setting is nice but there are so many great places to go for brunch where the food is far better, that I will not be returning to Derech Hagefen again.

• Visited September 2013

• Hebrew first
tel aviv
“great place! great view!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

at the small place of bayit zait, near Jerusalem, between the mountains and the green forests, great restaurant and coffee shop (kosher).
the food is great (breakfasts, Italian food etc).
the service is very good.
also, you can find some plants for sell.
there are sits inside the restaurant and outside.

• Visited September 2013
Jerusalem, Israel
“Great location, amazing food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

If you are in the Jerusalem area, do not miss this restaurant. If in season, try to sit outside and absorb the beautiful atmosphere! The garden is surrounded by beautiful flowers and plants and the restaurant also has a flower nursery. Lots of fun. The food is amazing and very special and everything is reasonably priced. The service is great and they always try had to make your experience enjoyable! Highly recommended.

• Visited August 2013
Jerusalem, Israel
“Excellent Friday brunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Great menu, excellent food and attentive staff. On Fridays, they accept reservations which is highly recommended.

Visited July 2013
“One of our favorite places”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

As we live near Jerusalem, the wife and me are always on the lookout for nice, delicious, friendly and unique places to eat. After we found "Derech Hagefen", we decided that our search was over. The kosher dairy restaurant has great food, smiling and caring staff, nice atmosphere and very reasonable prices. Booking in advance is recommended, but even when they are full, the waiting time is ofren less then 5 minutes.

• Visited July 2013