“not a hotel at all”

City Hotel Jerusalem
Ranked #48 of 59 Jerusalem B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 15, 2013

This is not a hotel, just some guest rooms. There is no lobby, no desk, just 8 rooms off a hall, run by the 24-hour supermarket guys below.
Rooms are tiny but clean (though smelly). Supermarket owner promised to reserve Nesher group taxi for return to airport but instead some friend showed up w/ a taxi (much more expensive) and they claimed Nesher was not running due to weather. This was not true as I found out at the airport.

Stay away.

Room Tip: not 101 and106 (and the other in between facing the back w/o window to the street)
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank fmuelleus

Reviewed October 1, 2013

It was not a hotel at all, just 8 tiny box rooms above a supermarket on a very busy road. No lobby, reception area etc. It was stuffy and very smelly, someone tried to mask the smells with a lot of air freshener frequently making it even worse. The three rooms facing the road do have large windows, the rooms in the back have only a tiny hatch, no daylight and the continuous hum of engines. The towels and linen are very worn. We arrived 30 min. earlier and were not able to leave our luggage, we had to wait till 3 pm for the check-in, which was at the supermarket check-out. Our booking said "front room", but the owner said, he only received the booking this morning and the front rooms are gone. We had booked 3 days earlier, very strange.
It is close to all the places you might want to visit in the "Old Town". We enjoyed a wonderful breakfast at the "Aroma", which is open 24/7, croissant´s always warm and the cappucini heavenly. Opposite you find the "Frangeli", they have good beer from the tap, but avoid eating there.

Room Tip: The front rooms facing the road are noisy, but have daylight. The back rooms have no daylight and a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I just have one word to describe this hotel: magnificent
I had had the room 102. Fight for this room, tip, bribe do whatever you want to have it.
I am attaching some pictures from inside the room. There was an enormous glass wall facing the street intersection. I was feeling like I had my private IMAX looking the people and the cars passing through your eyes. The room and the bathroom are what a travelers need: clean, modern and you feel like home.
I did not have any meal plan included. The strange is that the reception is on the supermarket below the hotel floor (probably the same owner). You can buy from there drinks and snacks.
Now about the parking: the underground parking of Mamilla Mall is just 100 m away. you can leave the car there overnight for 20 ILS/day
The hotel is 4 minutes walking of Jaffa gate, 30 seconds of Mamilla Mall and 2 minutes to the tram which connects you to the Jerusalem Bus Central Station.
I fully recommend this hotel. You are getting a five stars accommodation for a price of 3 stars

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I moved from YMCA to City Jerusalem as I had completed my business trip and am extending my stay on my personal budget. I wanted to stay somewhere affordable. I expected this hotel to be shabby as YMCA was kinda shabby. I am pleasantly surprise! It was clean! Smelled great, clean bathrooms, bed sheets, floors, cupboards! I thought to myself I should have chosen to stay here all the while! It doesn't have a reception - just someone from the supermarket to checked me in by passing me a key. The best thing is - he got someone to bring my heavy luggage up a flight of stairs. I thought that was even better services in 5 stars hotel who often do not offer to carry the baggage for you.
The only down side was that the room was extremely small. No space for my luggage. I can't open my suitcase and door full at the same time. I can partially open the door with my luggage opened which is fine I think since I am tiny enough to squeeze through a half-opened door. I was nevertheless satisfied. I would be as long as the rooms are clean and for this case - i feel it is clean.
it has an air-conditioner, and huge LCD TV. Tiny window. But because I was in Jerusalem as a tourist, I wasn't that bothered as I am seldom in the room anyways.
Location is just fantastic!! Across the road from Mamilla, 5 mins walk to Jaffa Gate, and rows of restaurants, cafes, pubs all within minutes of walking distance!
The cashier of the hotel was run by great people. I had to checked out at 3 am - the cashier with a few friends were hanging out by the supermarket. They offered to carry my bag, called a taxi for me and we had a great chat while waiting for taxi. Sweet people - even offered me a bag of pistachios so I could bring it back home ! Way past Midnight, solo female traveller, by the road side in Jerusalem - I felt safe!

Room Tip: Ask for a bigger room not 101 - its kinda small. 101 does comes with a queen size bed is suitable fo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We drove to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv and spotted the hotel door 5 minutes after arriving. we had not done any booking. The door was closed, but when we rang the bell, a Young man popped out from the supermarket on the side, and told us the reception was in there ! The man behind the cashier was obviously the boss, he gave us price info. and sent the boy With us to see the room, which was recently renovated and very nice.Only 7 rooms. We booked two Nights and got the car parked in the parking behind the shop. Very Central in the city, just across Mamila Mall where the breakfast was served in a restaurant. (we got vouchers for it). Jaffa Gate is very Close and we enjoyed Our first stay in Jerusalem very much. The room vas very good and was properly tended after the first night. Price is very affordable. Only problem is that the breakfast didn`t start before 10. So the first day we had to leave before it opened, but when we checked out and returned the vouchers, we could pick any goods from the supermarket for the amount.
We fully recomend this small and Central hotel to anybody looking for reasonably priced and good accomodation in Jerusalem !!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We were in Israel for 9 days at the end of April 2013. This is the ONLY hotel/hostel where we were satisfied with the price/quality relationship. We have been amazed by the poor quality of budget accommodation in the country (in fact, there is just no such thing as budget accommodation) I think there was an special offer, but we paid 300 and something Shekels for a nice clean room just in the city center. The furniture was new, the mattress was very good, and so were the sheets and towels. The only strange thing is that the check-in must be done in the supermarket just in the corner, but, hey! if you have read this that is no problem :)

We regretted not having booked the full week with them, I have no words for the other hostels where we stayed in the city...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2013

2 different buildings and had to change rooms in order to stay there 2 nights. Very loud and no comfort. Only good thing was the linings. Location and price acceptable. Will never recommend it. TV didn't work no hot water (after 2 hours, had to heat it ourselves), black long hairs all over the place in the bathroom. They spoke pretty good English though...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple