“Touching the Biblical Past”

Temple Mount Sifting Project
Ranked #72 of 304 things to do in Jerusalem
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: An unique archaeological project that allows visitors to participate in the sifting of debris that was excavated in the Temple Mount. UPDATE: The sifting is currently not active and will resume in 2018.
Jerusalem
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Touching the Biblical Past”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have been the wonderful beneficiary of being allowed to work on this project of 7 years as a volunteer worker. My very first day at the site I uncovered a ring that was over 1000 years old not to mention the myriad of of there treasures that found their way into my sifting buckets.
I truly love having he opportunity to touch the objects that we find, many of which are from the time from the Temple and and subsequent empires.
As a gentile, I would never have been allowed to access or touch items from the Holy Temple and now I can literally find and caress these objects.
I can't recommend this experience enough for anyone who loves history, Loves the Bible, or wants to have an easily accessible 'archeology' experience. The teaching is excellent and the emotional rewards tremendous. Try it - You'll like it.

Visited January 2013

• Hebrew first
Ma'ale Adumim
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“One of the most meaningful experiences we've had in Jerusalem”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We went with the whole family this past summer (kids ages 4 - 9), and it was a memorable experience for us all. This was a chance to get a hands-on lesson in the painstaking work that archaeologists do to find and analyze historical treasures. And even more meaningfully to us, it allowed us to see how archeological science is being applied to the most sacred site in Judaism, the Temple Mount. And on top of all that, we got to be a small part of this amazing project, and all had a fantastic time sifting through and identifying the ancient remains of Jewish civilization and tradition. I would definitely recommend this for anyone who wants to connect to the history and tradition of Jerusalem and the Jewish people.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Tamir D
Xenia, Ohio, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Wonderful experience of archaeology”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I spent a whole day (Wed 15 Aug 2012) at the sifting site as a volunteer helping the archaeologists dry sift soil from the Temple Mount to prepare buckets for tourists and wet sift looking for glass, metal, wood, pottery, bone, coins, etc. I lived in Israel 1958-1963 and have returned 5 times but never before been able to participate in archaeology. I would recommend this for any tourist or resident, adult or child, Jewish or Christian: you are touching artifacts which are thousands of years old of importance to the Bible.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank KarlRansome
Shanghai, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Go and visit”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

very good initiativ and effort from archeologist to bring history back to us.
the history of temple mount is very interesting and fascinating history

Visited February 2012
Jerusalem, Israel
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A great chance to expirience archaeological work in a short time”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We had an excellent time at the Temple Mount Sifting Project. The introduction lecture was fascinating, and then the sifting itself was a great experience. You never know what will come up in your bucket. We found shards from ancient cooking pots from the First temple period, and a Crusader coin.

Visited December 2012