“Always wantend to stay in a convent? Do it in Jerusalem!”

Rosary Convent Guest House and Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jerusalem
Rosary Convent Guest House and Hostel
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
“Always wantend to stay in a convent? Do it in Jerusalem!”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We found this place via tripadvisor, but you can only book directly, e.g. via email. The biggest pro of this place is quietness. And free parking. Moreover the rooms are huge, especially in hight. Together with their think walls this makes the rooms dark and cool. Yes, there is free wifi, but only in the lobby. The beds are rather sturdy, but OK for us; if needed you can add an extra blanket. Do not expect to find such Extravagancies as a duvet or TV. A good Breakfast is included. Besides the booking procedure, also take notice that payment has to be in cash. We really enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Jan S

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Lake Wales, Florida
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My children and I stayed several nights at the Rosary Convent Guest house in June 2013. We have never stayed in a place like this before. It seems you are in a castle. The rooms were very clean, though sort of Spartan. No TV or radios here! However it was a very nice change of pace.

I had called ahead and made reservations for a quad air conditioned room. When we arrived at approx. 11:30 P.M. we had to buzz the gate several times. The security guard led us to our room and surprise, surprise, no ac! However there was a fan and it was not to bad since it was late and the room had super thick stone walls. We told the nun the next morning and she moved us next door to an even nicer room with ac. We ended up staying four nights.

The room was $170 each night but we were on sort of a holy pilgrimage so it fit in with our trip very well. The receptionist set us up with a super tour guide and we had a excellent experience. The breakfast is very basic but sufficient. It is also next door to the American consult. You can walk to the old city which we did several times. Chilis pizza and a good burger place is across the park from the guest house. I think both places deliver but they are expensive. We walked to both places to eat.

Room Tip: make sure you ask for a/c
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank CharlieGates
TelAviv
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We had a weekend over in Jerusalem.
I always prefer to sleep in the Christian guest houses.
This one is perfect.
Though it is not inside the old city - it is very close , has private parking and is extremely clean.
The sisters were very friendly and were glad to explain and converse.
The room itself had air-con and private bathroom, which is more than what you can usually get inside the old city.

pros:
Peaceful
Decently priced (445 NIS for a double room including breakfast)
Good atmosphere
Close to the old city
Good service (fast response in phone calls)
Very nice garden
No limitations or questions asked regarding marital status
Extremely clean

Cons:
Breakfast very simple
Outside the old city
Separate beds (even in double rooms)

Conclusion: we will definitely come again.
It was a very good experience and we enjoyed it plenty.

Room Tip: Just use tripadvisor or ask the fully booked places which other places they can recommend.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank sdanpo
St. Augustine, FL
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My two-week stay in Jerusalem in April 2013 in the Rosary Sisters Convent Guest House met all of my expectations. I will definitely stay there again! Breakfast was included with fresh cold meats, cheese, breads, yogurt, delicious olives, hard boiled eggs, good coffee and tea, juice, and homemade jams (try the grape jam which is made from grapes in the garden). The Guest House is on Agron Street two long blocks outside the Jaffa Gate and extremely convenient. A local bus stops outside the Guest House, the light rail is a three-block walk, and other buses are outside the Jaffa Gate. The bed was comfortable, the shower had hot water, the facility is very clean, and a refrigerator and cooktop was available for a quick meal. There is a convenience store less than two blocks away. The staff is extremely thoughtful and helpful and Sister Pascal is always available. Daily Mass is at 7 a.m., however, I was the only guest who attended with the five Sisters during my two-week stay. Half of the guests were families with well-behaved school-age children; half of the guests had stayed in the Guest House previously; and half were non-Catholic. A phone call is the easiest way to make a reservation.

I was able to walk almost everywhere and took a bus to Yad Vashem Holocaust Museum and the Israel Museum to see the Dead Sea Scrolls. My trekking took me to St. Etienne’s (Stephen’s) Monastery, St. George’s Cathedral, Rockefeller Museum, Dome of the Rock, the ramparts around the Old City Walls, the Citadel and Tower of David, St. James Cathedral for 3 p.m. Vespers, City of David and tunnels, the Western Wall and the tunnel under the Western Wall (don’t miss this tunnel!), Garden Tomb, Underground Prisoners’ Museum, Mahane Yehuda Market (there’s a wonderful local artists’ gift shop in the middle), Ethiopian Church, lunch at the Tico House and at the American Colony Hotel where there is a well-stocked book store, the Burnt House, Sephardic Synagogues, walking on the rooftops in the Old City (there is a red iron staircase in the middle of the Old City for access to the rooftops), many galleries and many Jerusalem neighborhoods. Stop by Vic's in the Armenian Quarter to see the best hand painted ceramics.

The best guidebook with maps was the DK Eyewitness Travel. At the end of my two weeks, I met up with a group from my church and we visited all of the traditional pilgrimage sites for ten days with George’s International Tours – I would also highly recommend George’s (my second pilgrimage with them) and, Johnny, their highly-sought-after tour guide.

If you are looking for luxury, the Mamilla Hotel is right outside the Jaffa Gate in the new Mamilla Shopping Mall, the King David Hotel is little more than a block outside the Jaffa Gate (the YMCA hostel is across the street from the King David), and a new Waldorf Astoria is under construction (2013) less than a block from the Rosary Sisters Guest House. Independent travelers will find sleeping in the immediate area outside the Jaffa Gate to be a most convenient location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
17 Thank TravelingGrammaP
Reviewed November 1, 2012

My sister, friend and I had the most wonderful experience visiting Jerusalem and Bethlehem because of the Rosary Sisters. The guest house is completely renovated and updated. The rooms easily accommodate three guests. Each one of us slept in a small but comfortable bed. Air conditioning and a newly remodeled bathroom was in each room. A modest breakfast of homemade breads, fruit preserves and coffee/tea was provided.

The convent is less than a half mile walk from Damascus Gate, Jerusalem. We walked everywhere. Very convenient.

The sisters suggested we use their driver to and from the boarder as well as to travel around Jerusalem if we wanted.

The convent's cook is a native of Bethlehem and offered to accompany us on our day trip to Bethlehem.

I don't remember the exact price but I think it was about $50 a night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
13 Thank Matel H
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2012

In one word - GREAT!! Clean, comfortable, convenient and charming. I would never contemplate staying elsewhere while in Jerusalem.

The guesthouse is contained within a large convent with high walls and arched ceilings, with nice grounds and great little exhibits. The location cannot be beat; only a short walk to the Old City and to Ben Yehuda.

The rooms are also very clean with good bedding. A good and typical breakfast is also served. There is also excellent Wifi. The sisters working there are also very kind.

The cost is more than I would pay at a hostel, but less than I would normally pay at a hotel.

Plus, I found it ideal to stay in a convent while in Jerusalem...as for me, it was a spiritual experience.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
15 Thank TanyaM212
London
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I've stayed here twice before and this was my first choice for my visit again this year. Unfortunately, they're fully booked this year and I thought it was time for me to post a review about my previous stays.

When I went to Jerusalem a couple of years ago, I looked for a place to stay in Jerusalem that was 1) inexpensive 2) within walking distance of both the Old City and Ben Yehuda Street (both are about a 10 minute walk away) 3) a place that, as a woman travelling alone, I would feel safe walking to/from at night. I found the Rosary Convent Guest House and Hotel on Trip Advisor and, once again,Trip Advisor didn't let me down!

During my stay there, Sister Pascale and Dimitry were exceptionally kind to me. I was treated more like their personal house guest than as a paying guest. Every time I needed any kind of assistance, they went out of their way to help me.

The convent itself is quiet, peaceful and, for me, the perfect place to reflect on this great city after a day of touring/sightseeing. The rooms are basic, but clean. In the spring, the weather in Jerusalem can swing wildly during the day. It can be really hot during the day but then quite chilly at night. So be sure you have a thick sweater with you for your stay in the convent during the evenings.

The breakfast is also quite basic, but healthy. There is free wi-fi in the reception area (which was so reliable and fast that it would put the wi-fi provided by much more expensive hotels around the world to shame).

Security is also excellent here. You have to buzz through two doors to get into the covnent and, as the convent is next to one of the American consulate buildings, there is a constant security presence in the area.

There is also a supermarket just a couple of minutes up the street where you can buy water and other essentials. If you're a bit of a coffee addict like me, there's a very nice modern but cozy coffee shop called Kadosh about a 10 minute walk away (close to the Old City and the Mamilla Mall). They also have yummy healthy salads there as well as scrumptious desserts.

The guest house is not luxurious. But if you're looking for a safe place to simply put your head down at night and want to save money for other things on your trip, you are going to be hard pressed to find a better place than this.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo