“Good food, Bad front service”

Notre Dame Guest House
Ranked #16 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
Chofu, Tokyo, Japan
“Good food, Bad front service”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

The breakfast and Shabath dinner were excellent. No compliant on the food and environment. The bell service gentleman was nice. But I really get disappointed by the service of the front desk. The front was kind of unwilling to keep my suitcase until 5pm after check-out. And they charged 70NIS price for shared taxi (per head) to the airport which I finally called another driver which charge 50NIS only.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank KeungChan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Hebrew first
Palmer, Alaska
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I am clicking "Average" but this is more a plea for help, not a review. I actually posted this to the forums, then I had the idea to post it as a review here and hope the management would see and respond (and maybe help somebody else):

I checked out the reviews and decided to go to the web page at notredamecenter.org/articulos/articulo.phtml… to find out more.

I looked at their tour pages (under planning your pilgrimage) and am interested in the "Holy Land in Five Days and Four Nights " and then staying a couple more days at the Guest House (to get a day tour of Masada and the Dead Sea, and meet some old high school friends, then going to Tel Aviv for a night or two.

Here is my problem: I have had no success getting a response from the emails on the web page or from the contact form submission. I am coming up on two months out (early June), so I want to finalize my plans.

Is there anybody that knows if they still put these tours together?

I am very much interested in doing this Catholic tour and also I know that my wife would love it if we could renew our vows as part of the tour (like it says on the web page; "Then we will visit the house of the Holy Family under the Church of St. Joseph, and drive to Cana of Galilee to visit the church of the wedding where Jesus performed the first of his signs, changing water to wine. Here couples can renew their wedding vows.") We are coming up on our 25th anniversary, and, though I have not told her about this part of the tour in case I can't make it happen, I know she would love that. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks a bunch

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Todd715
NotreDameCenter, Public Relations Manager at Notre Dame Guest House, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Dear Sir,

We are sorry for a delay in our reply. If you are still interested in organizing your trip to Holy Land, please contact us directly via e-mail to the following address: emarketing@notredamecenter.org . We will be happy to assist you.

The Management
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Lovely hotel and location from the outside. Our room was threadbare which I could deal with, but it wasn't clean. The 2nd bed had hair on the pillowcase. And you couldn't have more than a 5 minute shower or it overflowed. They may be refurbishing rooms since some of our group said their room was nice - but my roommate and I had a dirty room.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank 57Anonymous57
NotreDameCenter, Public Relations Manager at Notre Dame Guest House, responded to this review, November 27, 2011
The only thing we can say is that we are sorry. For the last year and a half we are renovating our Guest House. We have opened a new restaurant on the highest floor with a fantastic view of the city, and we have renovated Cafeteria on the ground floor. From total 146 rooms, 100 are already refurnished. The bathrooms are renovated as well and equipped with a glass door cabins and deep pools. There is no risk of flooding . It seems you were among the guests not lucky enough to be accommodated in one of the new rooms. We are sorry for that. Please note, we are planning to complete the works by September 2012. We will be glad to host you again in Notre Dame Center.
London
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We stayed in the Notre Dame Centre for 6 nights. On arrival we were impressed by the efficient service at reception and we liked our large airy room with a balcony and a great view of the old city. The furnishings were simple and stylish, the bed was comfy and the room was very clean. Whilst there, we had drinks in the rooftop bar and in the ground floor cafe, which were fine but very expensive. The breakfast buffet was excellent with a good choice of cereals, pastries, eggs, meats etc. The service was efficient and friendly. Most people in the hotel were travelling in groups which meant that there was alot of noise on the corridors and in the public areas, and we were woken a couple of times in the early hours by tour groups arriving/leaving. The floors were wooden and the doors had to be pulled closed which really echoed, so it kept us awake. It was a shame as we really like the place, and the location just next to the New Gate was excellent, but we would probably choose to stay somewhere else if we went again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Old City
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SCSLondon
NotreDameJerusalem, Public Relations Manager at Notre Dame Guest House, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
First of all thank you for choosing our Guest House for your stay in Jerusalem and for finding few minutes to share with us and other users of Trip Advisor your comments. The opinions of our guests are very important to us. Thank you for many nice words as well as your complains about the noise.We are very sorry for the inconvenience. We wish you have told us about it during your stay when we could have resolved the problem by moving you to another room in more quiet wing of our property. However, we consider your criticism very constractive and we would like to inform you that we have installed rubbers around the door-frames to minimize the noise of closing doors. We really hope you change your decision and we will have the honor of hosting you again in Notre Dame.

Notre Dame Management
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed September 15, 2011

If you are going for religious purposes to Jerusalem this is the very best. I stayed there 3 weeks this summer and have been there many times previously. The rooms have been upgraded and there is a great new wine and chesse resturant on the roof with the best view of Jerusalem. Accross the street is the New Gate and two blocks away is the King David where you could stay for 6 or 7 times the price...along with the David Cidedal.

The resturants are outstanding and the food is among the best in Jerusalem.

Room Tip: Face the front of the building for a view of the old city
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank BobinOmaha
Reviewed August 11, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Notre Dame in June. We were very satisfied with the accomodations of Notre Dame. Granted it does not have a pool or T.V.., but you don't go to the Holy City to swim and watch T.V. The beds are very comfortable and you get a buffet breakfast that is wonderful. The breakfast is included in the price of the room. There are 4 other restaurants there and all are outstanding. It is very clean and beautiful building. What more could you ask for. I think location, location, location is the most important thing and Notre Dame is directly across the street from the Old City. It is truly amazing that you are across the street where Jesus died and rose from the dead. Awesome!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank sue s
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I have just returned from an amazing vacation in the City of Gold – Jerusalem with friends.
Jerusalem is a wonderful city with so much to see.
We stayed at the Notre Dame Hotel across the street from the old city.
We had a few issues:
It was so hot - When we came back to the hotel after a days walk and wanted to cool down we suddenly understood that there was no place besides our bathroom to cool down – the was no swimming pool and if we wanted to go to a pool it would have to be a pool at a different hotel that was too expensive.
The rooms are small and very basic – no television to watch the news or a fridge to put our cold water in.
After our shower in the evening we had to go out for coffee because there was no coffee set in the room.
To those whom keep kosher – it is definitely not kosher.
Next time I visit I will have to check what the hotel offers.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends