“Best place to stay in Jerusalem”
Review of Jerusalem Hotel

Jerusalem Hotel
Ranked #46 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
Ireland
“Best place to stay in Jerusalem”
Reviewed March 26, 2009

This hotel is located very close to Damascus Gate, 10-15 min walk to the old town. The hotel decoration gives you a real feel of history. There is a good restaurant just beside the hotel. The hotel room service was not great but very good location and value for money comparing to other hotels in the area. From here you can take day trip excursions with an alternative tours that I will strongly recommended in order to get a real feel of Palestinian situation (www.alternativetours.ps).

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carol09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed March 15, 2009

If you are reading the more recent mixed reviews, you might think they were talking about 2 different hotels. Having stayed in the Jerusalem Hotel each and every time I have been (which is frequent and probably adds up to about 25+ times) I can fully understand each position. The hotel is a small hotel, located in a fairly busy area of E. Jerusalem. As E. Jerusalem is so densely packed and as the hotel is bordering an area where the shared taxis and those going to and from the old city often converge, it can get noisy. The hotel itself is a stone building and the windows are not double glazed, so if you face the front, you will hear the noise. As well, there is the cafe attached to the hotel that, especially in the warmer weather months, will have quite a bustling crowd so again if you room faces the front (where the cafe is locted) you will hear the noise. If you are noise sensitve request, early on, a back room. As for the room sizes, they vary and vary quite a bit from really wonderfully big (bottom floor, to the back and side, top floors the same) to smaller front rooms. So too can water pressure. Water is an issue in the ME but in this hotel, it really is more about whether the bathrooms have been updated. Hot water, however, is not a problem here and if someone had difficulty, there was something strange happening, that is not the norm. But the pressure of the water really does vary. The hotel is clean. Very clean. Again, what you will notice is that in some rooms, things are a bit worn around the edges but not in every room so it really does depend. But I would not stay anywhere else in Jerusalem. The people who run the hotel are so very helpful. There is a family feel here and once you are there,you are no longer a guest but part of the family. This is also a place where a a lot of the internationals working in the NGO and development community come to stay or drink in the cafe, so there is a buzz about the place. So yes, do go. You won't regret it....

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CavKA
Ohio
Reviewed October 25, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights total in October on 2 separate times so I had two different rooms. The rooms from what I saw are quite different. The first had twin beds and an exceedingly small bathroom with a window in the shower. The second had a queen size bed with a much larger bathroom. The point being this is an older property with each room being different and there being a wide variety in the rooms.
I enjoyed my stay and the hotel. The rooms having interesting albeit older furnishings. The location of the hotel is very good. It is only about 1 1/2 blocks to the Damascus Gate of the old city. There are lots of interesting shops along the walk to the gate. The area is in East Jerusalem so it is not as westernized as the areas in West Jerusalem. I think this is a plus but the area has more of an arab influence than other areas. I had no problems in this neighborhood.
The owners of this hotel are a family who are very nice. Most speak very good English. The restaurant attached is good and seems to be a gathering place in the community. I saw a lot of people who were there on each night but didn't seem to be staying at the hotel. THere are a lot of people smoking shesha (water pipes) and having coffee. ON the weekends there is live music which when I was there was middle eastern in nature. The atmosphere at the hotel and restuarant is good but not especially western. THis for me was a plus but this is not your typical american type hotel. YOu can get that in Jerusalem if you want it, but this isn't your place. It is a small hotel with great character, a great location and a nice but kind of unusual eatery. If I were to go back to Jerusalem I would defintely stay here again.

• Liked — oweners, location, restaurant, character of hotel
  • Disliked — bathrooms need updating
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Locarno, Switzerland
Reviewed July 28, 2008

My feelings about this place are very mixed. I sure stayed in the same room (202) as the couple of New York. Small, AC not working, noisy fan, bed linnen old and shabby, hot water coming slowly. I sleept very badly all the time I've been here and also had to use earplugs.There was just no air in the room.The restaurant serves good food but service is very slow and somewhat unfriendly. Nice live music on frieday but book a table. With 120 Us Dollars a night it's not really a guesthouse price and I didn't feel I got the right value for my money. The neighborhood is ok, also for a woman travelling alone and the hotel position, so close to Damascusgate is great. By the way, I only got bothered by Israeli men in the old city and the Jaffastreet area. Arabs seemed more respectful to me.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — roomquality for price paid
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
New York City
Reviewed July 14, 2008

My husband and I just returned from our first trip to Israel in the beginning of July, and I'm sorry to report that we did not have a good experience at the Jerusalem hotel. Our flight arrived very late, and we reached the hotel around midnight. I booked this hotel, based on the reviews on this website, and in other travel books, because we didn't want to stay in a big, modern hotel, with busloads of tourists. Unfortunately, when we arrived, the manager told us that we had to put us in a "lesser" room, and gave our room to another guest. They told us that they would switch our room when another room became vacant. (I made the reservations very far in advance -- in January.) The room was extremely small, and had two twin beds separated by a night stand. The room was so small that we didn't have a place for our suitcases. The door in the bathroom hit the sink. The lock on the door was flimsy and the TV didn't work. This hotel does not have air conditioning and you DEFINITELY want to stay in a hotel with air conditioning in the summer. There was a ceiling fan that made very loud noises and we did not sleep more than one hour the whole night -- it was too hot to turn off the fan. I finally fell asleep by using my earplugs (we're from NYC and we are used to sleeping with plenty of noise and sirens.) The linens were old and the room felt run-down. Since it was so late, we stayed until the morning then called around to find a better hotel. Also, I would be weary of staying in this part of town if I was a single woman traveler -- we traveled together as a couple during our whole visit and I would not feel safe walking these streets at night alone. (again, we're from NYC and pretty street-smart).

• Liked — We did not have a good experience and checked out immediately.
  • Disliked — Poor quality hotel.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed June 24, 2008

I have stayed at the Jerusalem Hotel twice (last year, I was there for six weeks and this year for only two). I will never stay anywhere else in Jerusalem--this is one of those places where you can feel completely at home if you allow yourself. The staff are lovely and helpful. The hotel itself has more charm and character than any hotel I've ever spent time in; the decor is traditional and beautiful and nothing like a hotel. The location is perfect--only one block from the Damascus Gate into the Old City and one block from Salah-adin Street. Friday nights in the hotel's Kan Zaman restaurant are THE place to be with live music and people from all over the world, along with locals. Staying at this hotel is as close to the experience of living with a big family in Jerusalem as you can possibly get but with the added benefits of privacy and hotel-quality service. You will find no familiar tacky pastel hotel paintings adorning the stone walls here, but neither will you find bland and disinterested staff. Instead, the hotel promises a comfortable and enjoyable experience in a beautiful setting within a desirable location. This is the only hotel that has received my highest recommendation. My only response to other reviewers is the following: the service in the restaurant may be a little slow, but it is still good service. Eat here when you want to enjoy yourself, not when you want to grab your food and run. If you want faster service, go to a falafel stand!

• Liked — Location and Staff
  • Disliked — It can be a bit loud if there are World Cup or Europe Cup matches!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
Arizona
Reviewed May 30, 2008

After a group tour of Israel, I extended in Jerusalem for three additional nights. I chose this hotel after doing some Internet research including Tripadvisor web site. I enjoyed the hotel because I enjoy independent travel and enjoy smaller hotels. What the Tripadvisor reviews said was accurate. This hotel is unique, the building is old but facinating. I can see where folks who are used to staying in "American style" hotels would be uncomfortable here. It is small, the breakfast buffet is also limited and not like what you get in the larger hotels, although, I found it to suffice. The hotel is in East Jerusalem and very close to Damascus Gate. You walk through the Arabic side of the city and whereas I loved watching and listening to the people and looking at all the little odd shops, often I was the only American on the street. I am female and was traveling solo and felt safe but just as anywhere you travel, you need to be aware and alert to what's going on around you. For a unique East Jerusalem experience, I would absolutely recommend this hotel. I found the staff approachable and personable. I was able to share breakfast conversations with solo female journalists from Europe, in Jerusalem to write articles on the 60th anniversary of Israel. Just a very memorable experience.

• Liked — The unique setting.
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo