“Not exactly what expected”
Review of Jerusalem Hotel

and 1 more site!
Jerusalem Hotel
Ranked #49 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I booked this hotel because it was rated by Lonely Planet as one of the best "Top End" picks in East Jerusalem. It was NOT what expected. I booked this hotel as one of my "nice" nights before starting some budget travel to unwind after the flight. I am a solo female traveler. I was booked in a small room on the second floor (there is no elevator and no one offered to help with my bag). The room had 2 single beds in a dingy room. I skipped the shower in the am because there was no hot water. I ate dinner at the hotel restaurant at night and it was fine ... but nothing to write home about. It was difficult getting the waiters' attention as a solo female.

Also, I had arranged with the hotel for a cab to pick me up at Ben Guiron Airport for ~$85. I had confirmation by email. When I arrived at the airport there was no cab in sight. I found this very disappointing. I have never been to Israel and as a solo female had to take an Israeli cab that wouldn't drive me to the hotel who drove me most of the way but then found a random "Arab" cab driver to take me the rest of the way. This was NOT acceptable when I had arranged a cab with the hotel in the first place.

On the plus side they do give you a note to give to the bar for a complimentary drink upon arrival. I would stay here if you can't afford the American Colony Hotel (Jerusalem hotel is about 100 dollars cheaper a night for a single room), however you get MORE than the 100 dollars at the American Colony. (Just don't try to book a cab through them)

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Worldcitizen94

Reviewed July 26, 2011

Four of us stayed here, so we saw two of the 14 rooms in this hotel, both of them on the ground floor. The rooms were stone-walled and characterful, with decent air conditioining and a ceiling fan. However, they were very cramped, and the bathroom in one was tiny and in very poor condition. Overall, this hotel was more like a high-end backpacker place or a pension/guest house than a hotel, which would be ok except for the high price (we paid about 180 USD per room in July). However, the location is superb, being only 5 minutes from the Damascus Gate, which no doubt factors into the price. Reception staff was friendly but not overly helpful. In contrast the cafe/restaurant staff were very welcoming, and the garden in which the cafe is situated is definitely worth spending time in, even if you are not staying at the hotel - it is an oasis of calm, where you can get a beer, a glass of wine or some fresh juice, and recharge.

Pros: great location, lovely garden cafe, decent breakfast
Cons: very cramped rooms, poor bathrooms, no hot water in the morning

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pablo1000
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for four nights in May. As previously reported, the hotel is situated in East Jerusalem, only a five minute walk from the Damscus Gate and the wonders of the Old City.

I had a single room, which was small (two double beds crammed along a wall) but comfortable. The room had wifi and a TV that I never quite got the hang of -- it was impossible to get a picture or reception. No matter, as I was not in Jerusalem for the TV.
The room also had a terrific and very effective AC system - operated by a remote control. It got frigid fast --- a major plus in a very hot city.

The hotel is nicely decorated with Middle Eastern artifacts and pictures. The front desk staff is extremely helpful and responsive.

The adjoining restaurant offers excellent food at fair prices. Don't get too excited about the breakfast included in the tariff. Served buffet style, the offerings were not very tempting, but you can't beat the price.

The hotel offers tours through Alterante Tours -- an outfit that features day trips to many sites under Palestinian authority. I was interested in the Bethlehem tour, however, despite being listed as available for two days running, it was postponed due to lack of participants. Too bad.

Also, visitors should be warned that on Friday night there is a concert of traditional Palestinian music in the restaurant/courtyard in front of the hotel. While the music is quite good, if you are in need of sleep and have a room in the front of the hotel, you'll be in trouble. The music is quite loud and goes to midnight.... Something to consider -- book a room in the backside of the building.

All in all, as I state in the title of this report - this is not a luxury property. But it does provide comfortable housing, good food (not the comp breakfast, however) and very close proximity to the old city.

Book this place, if you want a comfortable, affordable stay that is very close to the action.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 26, 2011

We spent a week at the Jerusalem Hotel in March. We had chosen the hotel particularly because of its location (very close to the Damascus Gate), and from other Tripadvisor reviews we expected that the hotel would be comfortable, and individual. But it is more than this. Not just the generous breakfasts, for example: breakfasts served by an especially charming lady who always had time to wish us good morning and have a short chat. The pleasure of getting to know the small children of one of the staff members as they were off on their way to school in the mornings. The high standard of information from everyone on the desk - always good information, but accompanied by a feeling that they love their city, too. The restaurant which seemed all day to be open, serving delicious meals to a delightful multi-cultural clientele. We were very pleased that we had chosen a place to stay on the Palestinian side of the city: we now have a very different perspective on the political situation, and can see better where there are two sides to questions.

Our room was lovely: two large beds, old original furniture and fittings, a small balcony looking over the bus station to the Old City - always something to see. We were close to buses so that we could get all over the place to see what we wanted: we do not like to depend on taxis, and there was no need.

Our advice to Tripadvisor readers: choose the Jerusalem Hotel - book early, because it is small - and feel part of a real Palestine lifestyle.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JanetCOxford
Reviewed January 20, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a month long trip to Israel and by far the most memorable hotel we stayed in was the Jerusalem Hotel, located in east Jerusalem, right outside the Damascus gate.
This 14 room hotel, in an old Arab Home, with it's connected restaurant provides a glimpse into the life of the city, and it seems to be a gathering place for many NGO folks who are working on peace issues.
The rooms vary and we stayed in both room 207 and 206. These face the back of the building are are very quiet. 206 is a corner room with good ventilation and a charming small balcony
This may not be the hotel for you If you are looking for the fluffiest towels and other luxuries but the location right outside the old city is superb, the rooms are charming, the staff is uniformly helpful and the restaurant is always a great way to meet people.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2010

It was my first time to Jerusalem, was not sure what to expect. I was looking to experience the Jerusalem I read about in the history books but did not want to give up modern days luxuries; boy did the Jerusalem Hotel give me all of that and then some. For the reason above, I did not want to stay on a chain hotel; The hotel has unique rooms, none is the same as the other. I was in a small room with 2 single beds, very clean, comfortable, flat screen TV, quite A/C, and antique furniture. Some of the walls are kept in the original white stone that makes you feel you are in Jerusalem and no where else. The breakfast was awesome, the freshest food you can dream of, and the bread, OMG. It is a 5 minutes walk (literally) from the Damascus gate. Loved it. A lot of authentic food all around the hotel. It is very safe, I had no trouble walking around the old city by myself all day, come back to the hotel for a siesta and going back to the old city to see more and more of this beautiful place. They have a desktop and printer with internet in the lobby that you can use for free as well as free wireless in their gorgeous outdoor restaurant. The staff were very helpful, all I had to do when I needed something is ask. Highly Highly recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 18, 2010

I have read the other reviews, particularly those who have awarded the hotel a rating of one. I fully understand everyone's experience is different but having stayed here more than 15 times and at one point for over a month, I was just so annoyed and disappointed to see the terrible reviews. In my view, these are being overly harsh. What is correct is that this is a small family run hotel. There are about 10-12 rooms in total, some of these rooms face the front and there is a lively courtyard. if you get one of those rooms, do get ear plugs. The other thing that is correct is that some of the rooms (although not all) are small. This is a lovely old stone building and the rooms are literally carved out of stone, so the rooms differ in size, with some small. It is also true that the cafe in front gets busy and it can take some time to get service. I do not accept that the staff are surely although there may be instances where everyone has an off day. I love this hotel. It does have a family atmosphere. You will often see the owner's mum in the reception area. The courtyard is a vibrant meeting place for UN, NGOs and just Palestinians and others meeting in E Jerusalem. You are a 5 minute walk to one of the gates entering in to the Old City and all of the service taxis heading to the W Bank are minutes away. 5-8 minutes you are in the lovely outdoor courtyard area of the American Colony. There are pluses and minus to every place. If you want a Hilton or Ramada type of hotel, this isn't for you. But this is Jerusalem and it is the East part of Jerusalem and for me, the character combined with the location and the warmth of the staff; it doesn't get better than this. Also fyi, the owner has been having a continual battle to keep his premised with the Israeli government trying to push him out (a common theme in the East part of the city). He's fought to hold on to this place and I am very glad he did.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business