“Wonderful Location just inside the City Wall”
Review of Gloria Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jerusalem
Gloria Hotel
Ranked #28 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
Knoxville, TN
“Wonderful Location just inside the City Wall”
Reviewed April 24, 2009

Over 40 of us from the United States were in Israel for an historical geography study of the Holy Land. We spent half of our nights at the Gloria and found it to be "home" for us. The food was good. Most of our rooms were spacious. The management was more than helpful and kind. In addition, the location, just inside Jaffa Gate, was amazing. Thanks for your kindness! Picture is just for fun.

• Stayed March 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Greek first
Tennessee
Reviewed April 23, 2009

I traveled with a group of 37 adults to Jerusalem for 3 weeks in March 2009. We stayed at the Gloria Hotel inside the Old City and it was great! Our rooms were clean, well stocked with the necessities, and very comfortable. I didn't have one complaint! The sinks had stoppers so we could do laundry in the sink, the shower was always HOT, all the outlets worked (lots of them,too) and the beds were comfortable. Our rooms were always cleaned while we were gone and none of our personal items were misplaced. The staff was exceptional...very accomodating. When we left to stay in the Galilee area and Jordan, they stored extra luggage for us so we didn't have to pack up everything. They had breakfast early for us when we needed it and the food was always good. The service was fantastic!

• Stayed March 2009
East Tennessee
Reviewed April 12, 2009

I stayed at the Gloria (and one night at its sister hotel, The Knights Palace) for 2 weeks in March 09. I really loved this place. First, it is conveniently located INSIDE the old city and just inside the Jaffa Gate. This allows easy access to the rest of the old city, while also offering just a short walk to the cabs inside the gate. The hotel itself is a huge (and obviously very old) building, and, with its traditional courtyard, stone walls and arched ceilings, offers a lot of old world charm. (My recommendation-go up to the patio on the roof and hang out by yourself for a while. Great views over the rooftops of the old city all the way over to the Mt. of Olives.) The rooms vary greatly in size, and all were clean. The best part, however, was the staff. I've read at least one other review on here talking about how the staff weren't friendly- in my experience, nothing could be further from the truth. Being from the south, I consider myself particularly sensitive to a feeling of warmth and hospitality in places where I travel and this place definitely offered that feeling. The manager was extremely accommodating; always saying hello and asking after our needs. I became sick while on a brief stay up in the Galilee, and upon returning to the Gloria, was offered a private room and our group was not charged for it. My passport also dropped out of my luggage at one point and was found by hotel staff. The lady behind the desk returned it, and then joked with me about it each time she saw me. Hotels differ from one area (be it a city, a state or a country) to the next, and so do the type of amenities offered. Folks from the US do not need to be coming to Israel expecting hotels to conform to the traditional offerings back home. That said, I still expect any place I stay to be clean, convenient, appropriately priced and friendly. The Gloria hotel offers all of that and more. If you are traveling to Jerusalem, I highly recommend staying at the Gloria. When I come back with my family, I definitely intend to.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mark_Knox
Reviewed March 31, 2009

The location of this hotel makes it perfect for visitors to the Old City. The management and staff were very helpful and friendly. The rooms were basic, but more than adequate. The breakfast was very good. There was free wireless internet in the lobby, which was available in the first set of rooms we had. We were very happy with our 2 stays at the Gloria Hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank winghon
Washington, DC
Reviewed March 30, 2009

I have stayed at the Gloria and Knights Palace many times. My primary reason is that they are "Christian Guest Houses" and not Israeli owned hotels. Unlike many people I do not go to hotels expecting to be treated like a king. I realize that I am not at home. I understand the concept of being in a foreign country and their notion of a 5-star hotel is not the same as the USA. I have stayed at these two places both with groups and alone.

I don't take a computer with me and don't expect internet connection. In fact it's a delight to get away from it. If I absolutely have to check e-mail (which I don't like to do) I can go to a local cafe or the management has graciously let me use their computer. I don't drive and don't need parking. It's a luxury o be able to walk to the various shrines, especially the Church of the Hol Sepulchre every day and not wait for a car or tour bus.

I select these places deliberately. I am always treated with respect and like a person not a commodity. The food is regional not American. Their buffets are sumptuous (breakfast included) and are worth every penny. Any of the groups that I have taken to these places appreciate them and come home delighted that they stayed in Jerusalem and not another New York or Washington.

If you re looking for an American hotel, don't come. If you want to experience the local color, gentle and kind staff, and religious experience please come and stay. I have never been refused any need or request that I have. I am returning again this year for Holy Week.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Oregon
Reviewed February 6, 2009

Stayed at the Gloria for three weeks in June and July 2008. Right inside the Old City of Jerusalem, it is the perfect spot to enjoy the culture, history, and people of Historic Israel. As part of an archaeological team, we were able to have all our needs met.

Within walking distance of The Western Wall, The Temple Mount, and The City of David, it made our studies very enjoyable. The Gloria serves an expanded European style breakfast every day (albeit with eastern flavors). We also ate our dinners there as well...and we were very satified.

My room was very nice, complete with satellite TV and fast wireless internet ( was able to use Skype with no problems).

There is a fantastic meeting room as well as outside rest areas on the roof which made our daily debriefings very enoyable...and the views at night are breathtaking.

We spent some times at other hotels for special meetings...and I much prefered "our" Gloria. If you like brass and glass, chrome and steel, this hotel is not for you. There will be no mints on the pillows at night. However, it is extremely clean with a very gracious staff.

I will be staying here again and again...it now feels like my "home away from home."

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 15, 2009

If you want the best location inside the city walls, look no further. If you want some of the creature comforts of home, look elsewhere.
The good news: The hotel is reasonably priced and well located. The staff is friendly and attentive. The lobby is comfortable and there is a good restaurant across the street.
The bad news: Minimal comforts such as no internet connectivity in the room or lobby; one plug in the bedroom and none in the bathroom; gnats in the room at night; minimal hot water some mornings; average breakfast buffet and DON'T BE LATE.
There are also a lot of religious tour groups that use this hotel and the lobby can be packed at times.
There is a lovely new hotel just outside the city gate called the David Citadel. This is where we will stay next time.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Amenities
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)