“We love the old city setting”
Review of Gloria Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jerusalem
Gloria Hotel
Ranked #38 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed October 3, 2008

My wife and I stayed here with a tour group a couple of weeks ago. We then stayed an extra week and stayed at the Knights Palace for another 4 nights. Both hotels have an excellent setting in the old city, within walking distance to shops, churches and even the Western Wall. The hotel owners are friendly and accessible and willing to help with problems you may encounter. The Gloria has free wifi in the lobby.
Staying at the Gloria also gets rid of the need for a rental car since everything is withing walking distance. If you need transportation, there are taxis just down the street in front of Jaffa gate (make sure you know the price up front). There are also 2 nice restaurants across the street along the old city walls.

But - is this hotel for everyone? NO! If you want a modern 4 or 5 star experience in a sterile setting then this not the hotel for you. The beds and food are not American, but are adequate. You will need to do quite a bit of walking to get to places, for me this was fun and a part of the experience (others will find it tiresome).

If you want a great view of the old city while at the hotel, take the elevator to the 3rd floor. You can walk out on the roof and have a great view of Jerusalem!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tlh908

Reviewed September 22, 2008

We stayed at The Gloria in September 2008. We booked for 4 days at the beginning and 3 additional at the end of our trip. We booked due to budget. WRONG reason! We learn a lesson!!

Upon arrival, we were told we were booked for only 3 days. I attempted to resolve this but the lady wanted to inform me she had my emails to prove what was agreed upon. When we came down I had my email print out and so they tossed us into their alternative hotel inside the old city on the last night which I will comment on as well: The Knights Palace.

The Gloria on the first night was impressive to us due to our excitement of being in Israel from the USA. They put us in their newest building which was 2 flights up. With no elevator and lots of luggage this made for an uncomfortable climb. The rooms were basic. I booked for a double bed but was given two twins. There was nothing fancy to this room. The hallways with antique furniture was impressive though. On the 2nd day with lots of walking in the September heat, when we returned to our room we realized the AC was barely anything but a puff of outside air. We left the AC running none stop but it never cooled down the entire time. It was like sitting in a sauna.

Due to their over booking us; on the last night they put us up in THE KNIGHTS PALACE. It is within the old city but all uphill. Lots of luggage with a pinch of irritation made this miserable. Checking into the room we were highly disappointed. It took 3 trips to the front desk before they would cut on the AC and hot water heater. The place was hot all night. We had to open up the windows but no breeze was to be found. We had to take cool showers to get rid of the sticky feeling. We do NOT recommend the Knights Palace!! The Gloria & The Knights Palace shuts off their AC every night at 10pm claiming Israeli law. (I'm uneducated concerning this law.)

On a good note the staff was amazing. Laundry service is over priced as is the dinner served upstairs in the main building. The complimentary breakfast is a basic Israeli spread.

We were to return to The Gloria at the end of our trip but chose The Harmony Hotel for comfort. I will never book The Gloria again and if anyone calls from The Knights Palace I'll hang up on them.

For the price of this hotel ($130), we should have received more then a sticky feeling!!!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RodneyJulie
Reviewed September 17, 2008

This hotel, just inside the Jaffa gate in the Christian quarter, is where you want to stay if you want to experience the old city of Jerusalem. Before you book you need to understand what this means. The hotel is in an ancient structure so you give up luxury for charm.

I noticed that many guests in this hotel are christian pilgrams from all over the world. They come in large groups and descend on breakfast together. It makes for some interesting people watching!

The rooms are nice but this is not a 5-star hotel. When compared to other hotels the facilities of this hotel are just OK. The beds are OK. The bathrooms are OK. I wanted an extra pillow and a larger blanket and so the facilities were slightly disappointing. However, you can't find another place that provides you with a better sense of where you are. The place oozes antiquity. There are ancient pieces of furniture in the hallways and the architecture is amazing. The view from my room into a courtyard would have been outstanding had management bothered to clean it up a bit. It was littered with garbage.

Three important notes:

First, there is parking but it's limited. Streets in the old city are 2-way but can handle just 1 car at a time. Don't ask me how this works. I can't explain. The lot can handle about a half dozen vehicles and is behind a locked gate. You need to get someone from the hotel to open it for you. We went out for dinner in the modern part of the city one night and returned to find a car parked right in front of the lot gate. Before you knew it another vehicle was facing me in front and another car pulled in behind me. Let's just say that it was an interesting experience!

Second, there are 2 buildings to this hotel. We stayed in what I would call the "annex". There's nobody in the lobby of the annex so the front door auto-locks. When it closes, the door slams and you can hear the slam in every room. You definitely need the key to get in and there's only 1 key per room so couples need to go together. There's no elevator in the annex so getting up the stairs requires some muscle if you have luggage.

Third, when we arrived, a man that was apparently involved with the hotel offered to show us around and it turned out to be a way to get us into shops to spend money. Avoid this at all costs. The merchants are ultra hard-seller and I would consider their attitude more than annoying. I would use the term harrasment. I would be upset that someone affiliated with the hotel was involved but I can't say for sure that he was affiliated with the hotel. Otherwise the hotel personnel was accomodating and polite.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank RocklandMan
Reviewed August 8, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Gloria for 4 months while on sabbatical in Jerusalem in 2008, and so we experienced the place for a considerable period of time. We could not have been happier. The staff is excellent and alweys helpful, even under the considerable pressure of groups, and we were well looked after. Their sister hotel in the Old City, the Knights' Palace, is also an excellent place to stay if the Gloria is full and they have to put you there. If you are looking for a safe, comfortable, locally owned and run, modest but comfortable hotel that is worth the money, then you cannot do better than either of these places. There is certainly nothing superior in the Old City itself. And to stay right by the Jaffa Gate is to be right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the Old City

Don't forget that you are going to stay in old buildings in an ancient city that is a living thing. In the Old City, there are repairs and rebuilding going on all the time everywhere. This is just a fact of life, and it is part of the charm of the place. In our experience, whenever, there was work going on at the hotel, it was done carefully, and with minimal disturbance to guests. When the new restaurant is completed, it will simply add to the charm and pleasure of staying here.

We shall be back in Jerusalem for another long stay in 2009, and shall be staying again at the Gloria.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 31, 2008

Well i certainly cant call this place a dump. Ok its not a 5 star hotel but it certainly it isnt bad at all. We stayed at the Gloria for 4 nights in July and we really enjoyed our experience, we were there for a radio mission and the hotel was in great access to all of our work places. The rooms are comfortable and clean, they really would do with some re modeling and re styling as they looked so 70's but the imprortant thing is that they were clean, bathrooms were spacious and hot water most of the time. Late at nights we had to ask for the hot water, but thats ok. Food was very ok, I have been reading many people saying breakfast is cheap or bad, hey people come on, breakfast was very fine, several cheeses, bread, fruits, jam butter, 2 or 3 egg types, sussages/ french toast/ vegetables/ cereal and lots of fresh fruits, plus tea coffee and juice. I really dont know what else can anyone wish for breakfast! On our last night we had dinner , which we really found EXCELLENT, The Chef is a half greek half local, not only his dishes tasted great, but he was such a gentleman and greeted us with a huge smile.
The girls at the reception were of great Help. Anna Maria is a sweet lady with blond hair and smiley eye who did evenings, and the other lady ELLEN was of great help. she is very pretty and 100% proffesional. Staff made our stay there as comfortable as possible. I really would reccomend the Gloria Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 31, 2008

Basic but clean rooms in a very convenient location near jaffa gate and all of the old city's major attractions. There is also a womderful mall just outside the gate with some really nice (and reasonable) cafes and restaurants. Couldn't ask for more really, at around 120 dollars a night.

Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed July 26, 2008

As with all old city hotels (if you can call this a hotel) IT WAS small ,dirty ,dark, noisey & dank. The breakfast was pathetic & of couse seved in a dirty environnment . I checked out after 2 nights & went elsewhere. Be very careful when picking a hotel in Jerusalem if you care about cleanliness. Stay out of old city. If you are on a budget just stay home. How this place can rank in the top 3 hotels I will never know.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo