“Austere-ian Hostel on Mosque-side!!”
Review of Austrian Hospice

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jerusalem
Austrian Hospice
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Austere-ian Hostel on Mosque-side!!”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Location deff. dictates price for this hostel as the rooms are bare + basic - it felt like a Parador gone terribly wrong!! Bathroom like in the cheapest DFDS ferry cabins. Adjacent Mosque call to prayer will wake you at 4-45am unless you take earplugs, as was said and even then? Great views from roof as was said tho. Breakfast acceptable but hostel style self-service buffet with fellow hostellers-sp? and policed. For such a christian place I felt the atmosphere is not one of warmth and giving and the place felt unloved. On entering and exiting, prob. due to it's location, the place felt a bit like a barracks for posh westerners. There was rationing of heating to rooms until quite far into the evening and water during early am/ late night. Some staff were friendly and efficient and sort things out, however others were like slouchy youngsters and others uptight. Food at cafe was handy and mostly tasty but having to pay for everything in cash all the time was a pain! No tea and coffee making facils in room which means you have to buy hot water at 3 shekels a cup or buy drinks at much more per cup from the cafe etc when your at hostel home base. Stamps can only be bought if you purchase cards from the reception. 1 computer in the lobby is ageing, needs a code and is switched off at night by staff- although wifi seems useable. No night staff on reception.
Suggestions outwith above would be welcome bottled waters in rooms, a vase of flowers p'haps and more surroundings connected introduction material and information in a room file. Room Service- so if it gets busy in cafe guests stayin at hostel can get fed. Maybe an inhostel shop for basics.
If someone asked me where to stay to visit Jerusalem-I would probably suggest outside the old city and travel in- from a relaxation point of view in terms of navigation and souk harassment issues also.

Room Tip: Away from mosque side?
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pickytweeter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Hebrew first
Australia
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We have just left Jerusalem after 3 nights in this gem of a hotel. Everything in the lonely planet guide is true. It is in a great location, close to all the major sights in the old city and easily accessible from the central bus station on the JLR. Our room was huge, with very comfortable beds. Breakfast was also very nice and included both middle eastern and European selections. My only criticism would be the reluctance of staff to change our wet towels or replace the soap/shampoo - but overall, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed January 1, 2013

If you walk in the Old City of Jerusalem, and you are interested in a lunch break or coffee
This is the place for you,
Structure that looks like a palace in the heart of the ancient houses toppled look,

Headline jewel of a place, an amazing view and an unforgettable old town,

Warm recommendation to get promoted in the morning when the sun rises on the roofs of the old town

Enjoy

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We had an absolutely fantastic time staying at the Austrian Hospice. It is right in the centre of the Old City, in the Muslim Quarter. We felt safe staying there and walking around, however I would recommend coming back before it is too late. The room was quite basic but to be honest you will spend hardly any time in it as you'll be exploring the amazing city the whole time you're there. There was no air conditioning in the room (we were there in the middle of Summer) but we found that the room stayed rather cool. There was a fan and windows that you can open.

There is so much charm at this hospice, you'll never stay anywhere quite like it again. Make sure you try the Austrian beers and in-house cafe as well as exploring what Jerusalem has to offer. There is a nice alfresco area at the front of the hospice to sit as well and enjoy a beer, while listening to the sounds of the neighbouring mosques.

Don't miss the amazing views from the roof top.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the far side of the building, which isn't over the top of the main street, if...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I was a lone traveller looking for a place to stay in Old City when I came upon this beautiful looking building 5 minutes' walk from Damascus Gate. I walked in to find an well dressed young Austrian guy on reception. This guy turned out to be a complete doofus. When asked whether there was vacancy he responded very sharply and unforgivingly that there wasn't. He made no attempt to have a look at the system. He just looked at me very blankly and gave me his cold calculated response. A friend of mine who'd been staying there for a couple of days said that he was extremely strange, and although the rooms where nice, she didn't really feel comfortable staying there.
I'll always go back to Jerusalem but I'll never stay at the Austrian Hospice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
9 Thank svalmonte
Davie, Florida
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I was very happy when I was able to book a room prior to my three night stay in Jerusalem at the Austrian hospice. I have stayed in monasteries and religious guest houses in Europe over the years and the experiences have always been good. So I had high expectations for this place. I was not disappointed. The accommodations were terrific. My room was huge and had a terrace. This place is kept immaculate and the price was great compared to a hotel's. The staff was helpful and friendly but were not to good at giving advise on ATM and restaurant locations as compared to a regular hotel staff.
The hospice is located fairly near the Damascus gate which is a good transportation hub (tram and buses) for forages outside the old city or when you first arrive. I came into Israel via the king Hussein/Allenby bridge and my shared mini bus dropped me off here. The walk from here to the hospice is not long but it is very difficult during normal hours due to human traffic on these narrow streets. Luggage that you carry on you back or hand are highly recommended as the streets of the old town are not roller friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Michael C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Met at reception with cool courtesy and when a problem arose with the room this was met with cool concern.

In room 14 there was some sort of varying- in-intensity vibrating generator hum that woke me at times all through the night. I was already tired from hiking and climbing around the Negev with my son- consequentally I felt wretched the next day.My son (13 years) in the bed further away from the source fared better.

The next morning finally got reception to get the maintenance man who immediately could hear the noise and understood how noticeable and disturbing it would be in the night. He tried all he could to find the source but with no success. By the time it was apparent it could not be fixed I was up for another night (check out 10.00am) and they said they had no other room. I was given
a cool but not concened apology by the Sister who is the manager.

No token offer of a price reduction or anything was suggested. In fact they did not want to think about us as guests at all - only because I sought responses that I got any at all. If I myself behaved even in the slightest way as they did with the children,teenagers and families I see as a doctor I would have no patients at all !

Moved to the Gloria Hotel near Jaffa gate after the second night (ear plugs and towel round my head!!) at the Hospice and what a difference. Warm friendly and pleased to see us and my son felt a much better breakfast. Undoubtedly the Hospice is architecturely terrific inside and out but you can go to the lovely cafe as a visitor all day or evening and see it all

Would not want to have any sort of problem or illness in the Austrian Hospice.( Plse note this is not a reaction to Austrian style or temperament. My wife and I are off to Salzburg for 2 days at the end of the month and I have skied many times in Austria.)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family