“Great location, very charming”
Review of Austrian Hospice

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jerusalem
Austrian Hospice
Reviewed January 19, 2012

The Austrian Hospice is perfectly located in the heart of the old city and directly off the Via Dolorosa. The room is very sparten but it is clean and has great high ceilings. Showers are tiny but again, very clean. I should mention that there are a ton of steps to go up to get inside the building so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with walking issues although most of the Old City is like that anyway. Breakfast was good and there were lots of options and very European with meats and cheeses.

They have an amazing view from the roof of the hospice and a lovely courtyard. Unfortunately it was freezing when we were there so we coulnd't take full advantage of it. I would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TravelingCarter
There are newer reviews for Austrian Hospice

Reviewed December 15, 2011

Recently we stayed in the Hospice, and while the accommodations are spartan, this place is amazingly beautiful and Authentic.
Comfortable beds, large and very clean rooms, with great feather blankets.
Very Affordable and in the middle of the old city. Looking down at the street we saw a mix of Arab Souk sellers, Ultra Religious Jews, Israeli Soldiers, and tourists from all over the world,
Don't forget to have Austrian apple strudel with hot chocolate at the cafe' on premises!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Neta D
Reviewed November 19, 2011

My second experience at the Austrian Hospice, but this time I stayed over. I find it basic, clean, no frills or fuss. A nice thing is the free wi-fi, helpful reception staff and manager, Raefa.
Some of the volunteers at the breakfast room came across as being unfriendly, but it can be that it is a language barrier, rather than unfriendliness. I do find them less accommadating to the guests' needs as what I experienced at the Ecce Homo Convent. That being said, I stayed in the female dorm and found the only window high up in the wall is not adequate for fresh air if there are 7 women in a room! The showers and toilets are clean.

With the minaret directly opposite the hospice, the morning prayers are extremely loud and if you are not aware of this, can be a shocking way to wake in the early morning hours. But you get used to it soon enough and it is heard throughout the old city anyway.

Breakfast, once again, as most of the places in the old city, is basic, but slightly more choices than at the Ecce Homo. What bothered me is that you cannot choose your own seat at breakfast. You are accompanied to the assigned table, which varies every morning and thus being forced to sit with strangers. That might not be to everybody's
A plus is the outside area with some green foilage around. Very peaceful, if not to busy.

Very close to the Damacus Gate. A irriation for me was the people that seems to be always sitting on the steps of the entrance (in the street) and "forces" you to move around them to enter the doors.

The rooftop "terrace" is a bit of a dissapointment. There is only a certain allocated area to sit and only two wooden benches. It has not an inviting feeling to spend some time there.
A nice place, but there are certainly "friendlier" places in the old city to stay. It is clean, safe and a unique experience. I would consider this place again, only as my second/third choice. For no other reason as that I experienced a more accommodating and friendlier atmosphere elsewhere in the old city, a stone throw away.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank maro4
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Opening the heavy door from the noisy, bustling street you are immediately in a different world as you climb the stone staircase into this delightful place Located on the Via Dolorosa just 5 minutes from the Damascus Gate this haven of Austrian hospitality stands above street level surrounded by lush gardens. Rooms are simple but comfortable with balconies affording a spectacular panorama. Breakfast is distinctly Austrian. Snacks and light meals (and Austrian cakes) also available. Staff very helpful and kind. If you want to find calm and comfort in the heart of old Jerusalem this is the place to go.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank AnniSheffield
Reviewed November 6, 2011

The Austrian Hospice is an architectural delight and has a great location in the Old City and has an accessible roof from which to get a wonderful view. The staff are very helpful (especially when my phone wouldn't work and they kindly allowed me use theirs a few times). For the price (22 Euro), with good breakfast, it was one of the best bargains I've come across travelling!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 26, 2011

The hotel is well situated within the Old City but the service level I just experience was horrific. The guy who welcomed me in the morning and explained that I can only move in and 2, told me that the hotel provided and had no maps of the old city. I had to walk for half an hour to get a map from an information center for a euro. When I returned and actually checked in with my family I was given 3 maps by another guy as a part of a "welcoming package". Essentially the first guy had lied to me in the face and made me walk in vain. Cafeteria staff were rude as well.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank pkumchev
Reviewed July 2, 2011

Fantastic location, service could not be faulted. Breakfast was only ok but overall great. Will be back

• Stayed: July 2011