“A welcome start and finish to our visit”
Review of Grand Cafe

Grand Cafe
Ranked #103 of 728 Restaurants in Jerusalem
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Israeli
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Nairobi, Kenya
“A welcome start and finish to our visit”
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

Grand Cafe was recommended to us by our landlord when we arrived in Jerusalem for a "quick lunch" before heading into the Old City. In fact, we enjoyed a leisurely meal with excellent pasta. We had a baby with us who was made very welcome too.
Despite looking at alternatives and after sampling places in the Old City, we decided to return to Grand Cafe for our last supper. It lived up to our expectations. This time we had fish dishes which despite the crowd were were well prepared and delicious.
As an alternative to staying in the Old City, Baka provides visitors to Jerusalem with another aspect of this wondrous city. Grand Cafe is part of it.

Visited February 2014

• Hebrew first
Jerusalem, Israel
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Over-rated, poor service”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We ate at this highly rated café tonight. This was my second visit. I was underwhelmed by my first visit but came more open-minded. We were placed in an area where the heating was not functioning properly so froze half the time. The food was fine - basically pastas - but nothing special. Then it went really wrong. As an apology for the heat, they brought us 2 chai lattes "on the house" - even though we had not ordered any drinks, and we were a party of 3! When one of us declined but ordered another coffee, we were charged for that coffee??!! In addition, my desert order was completely forgotten.
For such an expensive café, I have no desire to return.

• Visited February 2014
Jerusalem, Israel
“Best breakfast in town”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Must confess that I only had breakfast at the Grand Cafe, and indeed is one of the best in town. Eggs are tasty (unlike most places in Israel) service is great and the desserts superb. Located in the Baka neighborhood the crowd is generally anglo-religious like most of the people in the area. The terrace is great, highly recommended for a friday breakfast.

• Visited January 2014
jerusalem,Israel
“Nothing to write home about...”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

It gives you a feeling that you are in an European coffe-shop, but very soon you find out that the waiters are not especially professional and that the food is not so great, if available at all.
Bread was baked on the premisses, which was appreciated. Two soups were offered: creamy pumpkin soup and mushrooms with barley soup, both were O.K., not more.
Prices did not justify the plain food, nor the amateurish service either.
There are so many coffee places and restaurants in the neighborhood that you should ask yourself why visiting this place, perhaps though for the big round table and nice ambience..

• Visited January 2014
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Disappointing overall”
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I'm an Israeli so please excuse my English (I saw very few reviews of this place on Israeli sites, so I gather it's more popular with the Anglo crowd).
We came to Grand Cafe at around 10 last night after receiving a recommendation. The place was around a quarter full.
The service throughout was amateur at best, more like careless. There was no single waiter appointed to our table, each time someone else came over, which bred various misunderstandings.
The first three dishes my wife wanted to order were "unavailable", so she had to settle for her 4th choice.
I ordered a breakfast - Eggs Benedict. Way overpiced - 56 shekels, plus an extra 15 shekels for two small strips of lox. Small dish - besides the eggs there's only a small salad. It was served with three rolls (unfresh - probably baked in the morning) with only a side of butter, nothing else.
Halfway through the meal (for which we waited WAY too long; and morevoer, my wife was served her order more than 5 minutes before I received mine) I recalled that the price of the breakfast was supposed to include a hot and a cold drink. I called a waitress over and asked about it; her response - "Well, did you ask for the drinks?" (no, it was your job to asked me about the drinks when you took my order... I guess that had I not brought it up, I would simply not have been offered the drinks).
The place seems to have a nice ambience, and the food is good, but overall the unjustified high prices, coupled with the truly careless service (one example out of a dozen - a waiter put slices of lemon on our table and left; we were dumbfound, then noticed the couple at the next table over having fish and figured it out...), means that this is one place we won't visit again.

• Visited December 2013