“So full can't breath but ohhhh so good!”
Review of Grand Cafe

Grand Cafe
Ranked #117 of 706 Restaurants in Jerusalem
Cuisines: Cafe, Israeli
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“So full can't breath but ohhhh so good!”
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant has a special feel and the food was great. I ordered the mushroom lasagna which is not like the normal lasagna I was expecting but so good! I then ordered the lemon thingy for dessert and it was better than the one from moderns in Boston. Look forward to coming back.

• Visited July 2013

• Hebrew first
Albany, New York
“Forgotten about: 105 minutes for breakfast”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

10:30 on a Thursday morning: Waited 10 minutes to order. While waiting 15 minutes for our coffee to arrive 3 other waitresses stopped by to take our order. 5 minutes later wife's meal arrives, and we're asked if we want another plate to split the meal. I explain I have my own coming. Then another waitress comes by to ask if we want another plate. After 5 minutes I get up to inquire about my meal; 10 minutes later it shows up. I remind them about wife's grapefruit juice. Waitress (one of many who participated in this event) said something about "an error." Food by the way is decent and plentiful, never mind that the eggs I ordered scrambled came fried. Ate meal, requested check. Eventually received not check, but slice of cheesecake, house's way of making amends (give someone credit). Asked two more times for check, which eventually came but was snatched away while I was reading it: wrong table. Finally got correct check. Analysis: waitstaff appears not to have stations; need for floor manager.
We saw others around us with similar problems, having to ask twice for more coffee, or for the rolls that were supposed to come. On the other hand, some who came after us were quickly served. Glad we were not in a hurry, but 1 3/4 hrs for eggs, toast, coffee, salad, potatoes is a bit much.

• Visited July 2013
Israel
“Nice lunch with my friends”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is a pleasant-looking cafe in a very lovely neighborhood.

I selected the following from the business lunch options: leek and chard patties as a starter, followed by a mushroom quiche, accompanied by a salad, as a main course. The starter was absolutely delicious (VERY special!), and the quiche and salad (very fresh ingredients) were very good as well. 48 shekels for both dishes was an excellent price.

The only thing I found disappointing was dessert, which I ended up NOT getting. The truth is that I had eaten enough for lunch and was perfectly willing to forgo additional calories, but as a lover of French macarons, I was tempted to order one macaron......so I opted for a coffee flavored one after I had been told of the flavors. Imagine my surprise when the waitress later handed me a macaron, which was clearly not a coffee one. I asked her what flavor it was, and she replied "nougat". I explained that I had ordered a coffee one, and she said that they hadn't received any coffee macarons that day. I thought it was very strange that upon discovering that they didn't have the flavor that I wanted, she didn't come back (perhaps apologetically?) and inform me of that fact. Instead, she brought me a flavor that she had apparently chosen, offering no explanation until I had questioned it. In the end, I declined.

Despite the above dessert incident, I still felt that my lunch was a positive experience, and if I'm ever in that neighborhood again, I wouldn't hesitate to eat there a second time.

Jerusalem, Israel
“BAD SERVICE”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We traveled with friends, a party of 14 people, and asked to reserve a table for Friday morning. We were told that they take no reservations for Friday morning. I came back early in the morning, the place was half empty. I asked for a table and was told it is impossible because all tables are reserved...
Food is average and overpriced

1 Thank israelit
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Noisy, hot and overpriced”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Because we had heard nice things about it, my wife and I passed a number of promising-looking restaurants on the way to Grand Cafe for lunch. Big mistake. The place was very noisy, so we sat at a table for four in order to sit next to -- rather than across from -- each other. The head waiter told us to move to a smaller table, although it was late in the afternoon and there were plenty of available tables-for-four. The offerings on the menu were nothing special, so the waitress suggested we try the "fish-kabob" special (not mentioning that it would cost about twice as much as the prices given for the other items on the menu). What came was grilled gefilte fish plopped on to not-very-good tehina. Wasn't worth the cheaper items on the menu -- let alone the double-price we were hit with when lunch was over! The waitress forgot to bring our drinks, and disappeared as the meal went on. So I finally went up to the cash register to pay. Was kept waiting there as well. There are a good number of much better places to eat in Jerusalem. Don't waste your time at Grand Cafe.